How many of you are “great” guitar players?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Oct 6, 2019.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been told by lots of people that I am a great guitar player. I’ve been told by lots of people that I play too loud, too fast, no soul, too technical, not technical enough. All I know is that after playing for 50 years I still enjoy it more than anything else I do.

2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I'm terrible, but if I'm loud enough, thru' enough pedals & the audience is drunk, I usually get away with it.

I'm the song writer...our other guitarist is the talented musician.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Short answer, No. Not great, not by a long shot.

In the last decade or so, I have gotten a few comments saying essentially that I am a great guitar player (might not have been that exact wording, but words to that effect). One of the more recent of such comments was someone talking about another guitarist, saying that he was good, “but not in your league.” But such comments are almost invariably made by non-guitar players, so I always think “Fooled ‘em again!” :oops:

Oh, and I’m stealing some of the lines here for my sarcastic/self-deprecating replies to comments about my “greatness.” :twisted: Y'all are a riot, and a dang clever bunch! :lol:

P Thought likes this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

People in the crowd walk up and say "You're a great guitar player!" But I know the limits of their experience and their tastes most of the time. Compared to a few of the more simple minded classic rockers maybe I could make a claim, but the guys who play for a living 24/7 and have nothing else to do could all walk circles around me. When asked I simply respond, "Yeah, I play a little."

I'm like someone up above said, I'm a hack and I have my own way of looking at the neck and my own way of thinking about theory and structures. I played piano for 7 years before I picked up a guitar, so part of my unusual approach comes from translating my piano knowledge to the fretboard. Some of that translation comes from having a couple years of jazz piano instruction. Lately I've been trying to spend more time with instructional materials from Paul Gilbert, Chuck D'Aloia, and Carl Verheyen, but those are chasmic leaps from where I sit.....or stand.....depending.... I have my moments, but a trained guitarist will hear my limits after about a half hour of me wanking.

Compared to my guitar heroes Terry Kath, Rick Derringer, Steve Gaines, Carl Verheyen, et al, et al, et al, I'm just a wannabee hack. In a pro band setting I would probably have a better chance of keeping the job as a rhythm guitarist than a lead guitarist, if any decent shredders came out applying for the job. I will say my competence improves geometrically if I quit going to my "real job" every day and start playing guitar 24/7.

5. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

I’m happy to let others determine my relative greatness. However, I play regularly in public and rarely embarrass myself.

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Not me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.