How many of you are “great” guitar players?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have not put in the time and energy to be great, and I respect those who have. I love playing, and I keep improving. But great? Not even close.

P-Nutz likes this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I'm the only guitar player in my family tree and even there I'm not the best :D

I do have a lot of fun being mediocre though and need to practice much more but being just a couple of months short of my 71st year it ain't going to be much more than playing for enjoyment ( definitely no more pro stuff )

P-Nutz likes this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ve been called “great” by people who don’t play a lick, and even by playing friends who struggle with even more rudimentary stuff than me. I think the friends are just being nice with that unsolicited praise.

But I’m sure not “great”, and I hesitate to even call myself a guitarist vs a guitar player/singer. I know real guitarists including some that are truly great and I’m nowhere near them in capability, not even remotely close. And I’m getting worse with age!

What I can do though is jump onto a stage after a long absence and entertain people with just my playing & singing. I’m somewhat content with that after 48-odd years of playing. The odds are beyond long that I’m gonna get better than that.

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Let's say I"m happy in my skin. I challenge myself all the time, still after 55 years of playing. I'm my best teacher.
    I'm my best student.

Competing with others to see how one ranks in a group is not my thing. I've always been an outsider with the "battle of the bands", I did judge one once. Lame judges

P-Nutz likes this.
  5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

There are a lot of really good players around here but I think I limit the term "great" to a rare few.

P-Nutz likes this.
  6. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

I’m a decent rhythm player with a unique enough thumb index finger picking style that I get some compliments. However, I’m a great set up man. I’ve been told I do great guitar work.

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

I think it was Paul Westerberg who said to his kid, "Don't worry, Daddy will always be the best guitarist on the block, even if it means we have to move."

P-Nutz likes this.
  8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I'm no longer afraid to say I'm really good. Heck maybe even great. When I was younger I never would have said it. I'd hear it from everyone but I could never see it. I wanted to play like Mike Campbell and I knew I wasn't as good as him. Took me a while to realize that only Mike Campbell can play like Mike Campbell and although I wasn't as good as him, I was actually pretty darn close!

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t even say I’m a good guitar player though at 50 I’m finally getting close.
    Seen enough kids pick up a guitar and accomplish more in 3 years than I have in my lifetime.
    I’ve had the pleasure of having a few musicians whose work I admire tell me that they like my playing. Which is always humbling and surprising.
    I do feel that I’ve written a few brilliant minutes of music in my life...just a few.
    In hindsight I wish I had a worked a lot harder and especially smarter instead of just logging hours with no direction.
    I also really wish I’d have put myself in more challenging situations in my younger years.
    I don’t think i would have ever made it to great, but I could see pretty damn good.
    Still hopeful that I’ll get there early n the next 10;)
    Been a beautiful journey any way you slice it.

P-Nutz likes this.
  10. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Not great but I have fun.

P-Nutz likes this.
  11. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I've been practicing for over 30 years hoping to one day impress myself.

Little Red Tele, P-Nutz and Milspec like this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Backhanded compliments from family and friends are always appreciated.

For example, a couple of friends who had heard me struggling early on heard me play at a bar and said, "Wow! You really can play now" or when my wife heard me playing some slide guitar and asked who I was listening to on YouTube because it sounded really good.

P-Nutz, Shuster and blueruins like this.
  13. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I'm only good when I have a music stand in front of me....

P-Nutz and Shuster like this.
  14. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I knew I was a Great player the first time I cranked up my new amp!! Out of nowhere, my neighbors started throwing huge rocks thru my windows, just so they could hear me better!!!
    Right then and there, I knew I was going places:);)

Home Depot,,,

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    P-Nutz and P Thought like this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I aspire to mediocrity.

P-Nutz likes this.
  16. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Count me out.

P-Nutz likes this.
  17. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I should add: tell a great guitarist that they’re great. I know a few and though I’d never say something so defined (or so unwanted) I do compliment them on their playing. Without fail they’ll honestly say something like “I’m working on some new stuff I haven’t quite hit yet” or similar. They are invariably humble, and honestly so. Truly great performers in any endeavor rarely believe they’ve achieved true greatness; they are always trying to be better and in their mind they are just “good”.

There are exceptions of course but if you look at the whole the exceptions are few.

P-Nutz likes this.
  18. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Of all the folks in this town I feel like I'm in the upper half as far as guitar playing goes. Of course more than half the folks in this town don't even play guitar, so there is that.

P-Nutz likes this.
  19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Mediocre. I believe that I have enough talent that I could rise to journeyman level IF I could devote the time and resources (probably some professional lessons), but that is not likely in the cards for me. But that's fine. I am happy that I chose a different/successful (for me) career path and still get to jump around at $100 gigs on the weekends.

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I remember when I was about sixteen and talking to my friend about being in this or that band and he asked me, "what do you think you can be as big as the Who or Led Zeppelin" and I said" No. Closer to Steve Miller" But that had little to do with the question.

P-Nutz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.