How many of you are “great” guitar players?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

What we lack here in this little discussion is a standard for what determines great. Okay, who can blow the doors off of Brent Mason and send him packing in a guitar dual? Raise your hand now if you are THAT MAN, or WOMAN.

2. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Everyone, absolutely everyone here - is, or has been - great at something. I know that I was "great" at writing software in the 1990s. The companies that paid me to do it and the people who used it told me so. If I had been as great at guitar as software - then I would have been Clapton or Bonamassa or even better. But bummer, the gods chose to make me great at bits and bytes - not notes and rhythms. But, there's still time - isn't there?

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I don't know how great I am, all I know is I'm not as good as I want to be.

Milspec, blueruins, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  4. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

Well I 'aint no Alan L Cole but...oh wait, I am...:(

P-Nutz likes this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I get the feeling that if i was great, I wouldn't be here.

P-Nutz likes this.
  6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

im the greatest guitar player in my house...not so great in your house

sonicsmitty and P-Nutz like this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't even think those that we consider to be great see themselves as being great. Knopfler never does, BB King never did either, I think we are all naturally introspective in our ability and will always be critical. I think I suck when comparing myself to my favorite players, but compared to what I was when I started playing...I am brilliant.

Just as it was when I competed in Marathons, there are the elites and then there all the others in a race. I was a middle of the pack runner, but I worked hard in training just like the elite, I just had different potential due to genetics, time, etc. I remember speaking to an elite runner who asked me if I had a job? I told him yes and he replied that I would never be able to beat him in a race then. It didn't matter how hard I trained, I would never beat him because his job was running so his entire day was centered around improving his ability to run. Mine was around working and paying bills while trying to find some free time at night to train.

I feel the same way about guitar, a person working 40+ per week is never going to become an elite player....there is just so much time and energy in a day to work with. I know that I play very little and lack any motivation when pulling a lot of overtime, I doubt that a Clapton has that problem.

What we can do is improve on what we have...regardless of what the ceilling potential might be. I play a lot of simple 3-4 chord stuff (Springsteen, Seger, Mellencamp, etc.) but I play it well enough. Never going to be great, but so what. I play.

Gene O., JL_LI, jannodude and 2 others like this.
  8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

A80B3C2F-2705-4678-AD84-93906B82DA8D.jpeg

See my screen name. Any questions?

telemnemonics, P-Nutz and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

So, I guessing you're not THAT guy?

Stringbanger and P-Nutz like this.
  10. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Maybe we should have a riff off competition here to determine the greatest players.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny thing about playing music is that we are basically servants, not kings.
    While we may be voted king of the servants, once we think we are king we lose the ability to serve the music (or the audience) and lose our king-dom.

Over the last five years, due to old bones I switched from antique house restoration carpentry to maintenance at a seaside hotel property.
    We have a beautiful location and beautiful gardens.
    Much of my hours are gardening, and having come to love the gardens almost like they were music, I garden with all my heart.
    Thing about gardening is that we cannot fully control it, and also it continually makes itself worse after we make it better.

Many of the guests are there year after year and compliment me on the gardens and on my gardening.
    They ask for gardening advice and want to know my secret.
    Like nobody here has yet admitted greatness, my response to compliments is often an explanation of how I never feel like I keep up, and my mind is largely aware of what needs improvement.
    Sometimes the compliment is even painful, and all I can think is how wrong they are.
    (I'll add that I've been gardening for 55 years and only playing guitar for 39)

I have to work at simply saying "Thank you".

My sense over time is that while the end consumer of anything, be it food, music, renovations, or flower gardens, is that if we do something with all our heart, it will show in the work.

This seems clarified when we compare the work of a Neil Young or a BB King to the superior playing skills of 1000 recent guitar college grads who can shred every possible thing that can be done with a guitar.
    While those technical accomplishments are impressive and valuable, being a great guitar player is far more.
    Many accomplished shredders are only great to guitar nerds, and cannot really entertain a music audience, because they serve themselves and the idea of greatness.

I struggle between serving my skills, my ideas, and the music.
    "I'm just trying to find that one perfect line" was what Coltrane said when he when complimented on the work that became the modern sax lexicon for decades after his passing.

Not to put myself in league with greatness, just noting that many or most of us here who cannot or will not call ourselves great, are saying what a truly great musician has to say about their own relationship with greatness.

Add in the fickle nature of audiences, some are only moved by perfect repro, some need new ideas, some need high skill level displays, some need emotion, and some need to be soothed.
    None can be great to all critics.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Milspec, P-Nutz, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Okay, I'll make this a little easier, you may have never heard of Rick Wright, but IMO he's great. (RIP Mr. Wright.)

P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I've had good luck across all platforms. Phone works, Kindle works and desktop running Chrome does well. Kindle is funny sometimes for a minute but clearing the browser helps a bunch

14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I am confident that I could be placed in many situations and I could hold my own - as long as I was not required to read and/or play a pre-defined part. I am comfortable in many styles of music, if I am not required to lead the group with chord-melody jazz or the like.

So yes, I'm OK sitting in for a casual session. In some genres of rock, pop, country and all the variations in between, I think I am quite adept.

Gene O. and P-Nutz like this.
  15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To somebody who sucks I am great. To somebody great I suck.

16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

My inspiration is El Kabong, so take it from there.

On another note, playing with others compatibility if often more important than ability........

P-Nutz and dented like this.
  17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

This is all I got. A bunch of years ago I was in Rochester, New York and there was a Jazz Festival going on. I was staying in a hotel a block or so away from the Fest. On Saturday night I came down to go out to dinner and a Luthier (who is on this forum) was selling his custom guitars in part of the huge lobby. He had at least a half dozen guitars and amps lined up. Of course I went over to check them out! After a few minutes he was hoisting a guitar with a strap on to me and plugging me in. The lobby was busy with people dressed up going this way and that on a Saturday.
    So I started playing some 12 bar blues and just simple stuff. I have very good timing and I have played all my life. I was just cruising and playing every turnaround I knew for about ten minutes. Just easy stuff, no songs, just easy stuff. When I finished the Luthier pitched his head to make me turn around and there were at least 20 people standing there and some of them started clapping!
    I got it I just don't use it.

Milspec, P-Nutz and telemnemonics like this.
  18. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I surprise myself with occasional flashes of mediocre licktion and riffery. My problem is remembering them.

DekeDog, P-Nutz and dented like this.
  19. telemnemonics

It is said that a Shaman cannot proclaim themselves to be a Shaman, and only when the village says so is it true.
    These sorts of events are more useful than our own statements.
    I've had those kinds of experiences and value them more than my own self obsessed analysis.
    But even those stories are hard to share in mixed company.

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Hahaha yeah!
    I notice that once I'm able to remember any (new) cool riffery it indicates I've dug myself another rut I need to find my way out of...

P-Nutz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.