1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many of you are “great” guitar players?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Oct 6, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

My guiat are mexican teles and idnonesian squier strats , but...

....skills are Bullet Tele.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    P-Nutz and backporchmusic like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I gave up on "great" a long long time ago. I did however manage to achieve an unmatched level of "grating"..

3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had moments where I've played something really good, but overall, I consider myself decent enough, but only just. I can play memorized leads - but can't improvise for ****. My rhythm playing is good to pretty darned good. My bass playing is pretty darned good. I'm a good team player. I can fingerpick - or should say "could" as I haven't done much in many years. I can't play slide to save my life. I can't sing worth a darn. But it's fun and that's the goal. There was a time when I wanted to be a "great" guitar player, but that's done... I'm happy being pretty good.

P-Nutz likes this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I will be 63 in about a week and started playing about 3 1/2 years ago. I played for awhile from sixteen to nineteen but was frustrated because I couldn’t tune my guitar and stopped. I no longer consider myself a beginner but a far way from great. I have finally gotten to where I have played in a few Open Mics. That’s probably my level and I am not even the best at the Open Mics. I make too many errors but enjoy what I can play.

P-Nutz and JL_LI like this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

On an unrelated note, ST has been pretty functional lately you know

rolandson likes this.
  6. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Was Johnny Ramone Great? Was B.B. King Great? Was Angus Young or Ace Frehley great?

Then I might be TOO! But not in a useful way.

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I'm not very good at all, but I have a box that I play through that has hundreds of ways to obfuscate that fact and trick the audience into dancing anyway.

telemnemonics and P-Nutz like this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I recently saw a tshirt "world's OKest guitar player".

I should have bought it.

KWal and P-Nutz like this.
  9. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I'm a great post-punk, atonal, random note, wall of noise, throw-guitar-across-the-room, alternate tuning, shred guitarist in the vein of John Cage. I am, however, very expensive.

P-Nutz likes this.
  10. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

Definitely great.. great at buying gear and doing everything other than practicing. :oops:

KWal, P-Nutz and JL_LI like this.
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Looks like you can also write an Advertisement with the best of them!

P-Nutz likes this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'm not a professional musician so greatness has to be for others. That said, I think I'm good enough to very good playing the songs I've learned. My brain can hold on to about 20 at a time. I'm 69 so learning a new one always seems to push out something I wasn't too good at anyway. I came back to guitar after a long hiatus 12 or 13 years ago and decided I wanted to play country. That came to include country influenced and a couple of songs that were never country. I learned to play fingerstyle in my own way, not Travis picking but more like right hand piano. I've found that the way to get better is be learning something new all the time. I decided to learn modes, those non major or minor and non pentatonic scales, and worked out a jazz piece using the Dorian mode. I'll never be great but there's no reason to think I can't keep getting better. BTW, I learned something very important over these last few years. Being good has little to do with gear so being great can't have much to do with gear either. It's all about practicing and learning to play as well as I can with what I already own.

P Thought and P-Nutz like this.
  13. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My long time friend is a great guitar player. In fact, he got so much better than me that I took up drums. On drums I am somewhat better than no drummer at all.

JL_LI and P-Nutz like this.
  14. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Interesting, I haven't yet seen a reply that says "Yes, I'm the Dogs B******s" - but surely there must be at least one true great here?

15. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've never been "great" at anything in my life... at least not consistently. On guitar some brief flashes of brilliance have graced my fretboards here and there, but most of the time I'm anywhere between okay and pretty decent, but pretty predictable (at least, to myself).

DekeDog and P-Nutz like this.
  16. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think no truly great musician thinks that they are great. There is always so much more to know. However, cats, such as the one in your avatar, all think that they are great.

There is nothing more frustrating than playing with a guitar player who thinks he is great, but isn’t.

17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Really? I've a browser that has Strat Talk set as its homepage and its been horribly problematic trying to connect.

18. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Holic

I'd say, in all honesty, I used to be a fairly good, solid player... no shredder, by no means, but solid is the word I think of.
    I had continuously worked on my "style" for 35 years... and then in the last 5 years, boom ! 3 strokes... I am a lefty, the strokes affected my whole left side. I have pretty much recovered (well, as much as my age allows... maybe 75%), but unfortunately there are some damages. I will never play the way I used to before.

Now, I am just a "man cave" player. I enjoy having nice gear and playing it, but it's just for myself (and my cat). As far as my level goes, I am back 25 years ago :(

JL_LI and P-Nutz like this.
  19. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Oh, no, no, no. Josie's opinion of herself goes waaaaaaaay beyond "I am Great". She has taught me to appreciate being the meagre, wretched, humble servant that I am. After all, she has a pedigree a mile long, but I don't even know who my father was (my mother's not sure either!)

20. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I've been told that some elements of my playing pretty much suck (lead improvisation). I've also been told that some elements of my playing are quite good (Travis picking and cross picking). However, I have never in 55 years of playing ever been accused of any form of greatness.

JL_LI, P-Nutz and Pixie-Bob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.