How many of you are “great” guitar players?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

By all means Bob, be my guest.

2. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Well I'm the third best guitarist in my home.....only because my two dogs are more talented then previously thought.....big showoffs....plus they both play bass which I haven't gotten around to learning yet....

sonicsmitty, P-Nutz and mkdaws32 like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

This pretty much describes me to a T. My bandmates and some other folks think I've written some really great songs, but I'm not sure I'd say I can write with the best of 'em. I think what actually sets me apart is my singing ability.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    P-Nutz likes this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

If I were a great guitar player, you would have heard of me years ago.

sonicsmitty, P-Nutz and Deathray like this.
  5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Still trying to reach truth.

P-Nutz, P Thought and DekeDog like this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I tell everyone that if you think you're a good guitarist, open a guitar store, and you'll get your karma levelled in a hurry. I'd been open for about a month when a guy came in and did that for me. He was about 25, looked like a male model, played lefty on a righty guitar, sounded like 3 guitars at once, bass, rhythm, and lead all at once, jazz, rock, country, every style. Plus, his girlfriend WAS a runway model. Plus, he was a professional arena football league quarterback. Plus, he was really nice, well-read, obviously very intelligent. Karma=levelled.

jman72, Mad Kiwi, blueruins and 4 others like this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

“Great” is subjective. I know I’m reasonably good, but have my limitations, as even the greats do - every guitar player, no matter the level, aspires to more - that’s how they got “great” to begin with.

I like being a part of a band making good music. I play to my ability and, on that occasion where playing a cover part exactly is a struggle, I play something approximate or appropriate to the song. I most definitely have a style that is all my own, but am comfortable sitting in on many genres.

DavidP and P-Nutz like this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Desperate half-assery................brilliant!

9. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

As someone said in another thread, I'm very good to those who don't play, and I'm only mediocre to those who play well. I need to improve my phrasing, technique (sliding into notes, hammer-ons and pull-offs), and playing in the pocket. But to be fair to myself, the music I attempt isn't easy... Kenny Burrell, Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, etc. Also, when I'm listening to music to try to duplicate (transpose) it, I don't hear many of the played notes, so I need to listen better.

P-Nutz likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I wouldn't say 'great.' I don't play fast or with a ton of technical finesse.

I'd say I'm 'solid.' That I work pretty regularly and am first call for a few bands will back that up.

But I know how much I don't know, and that puts me pretty far away from great.

- D.

P-Nutz and DekeDog like this.
  11. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic

When I meet someone like that and they can’t even be a jerk, just to justify hating them, it sucks. Nothing left to do but look inward, lol.

On the thread topic:
    I belong over on the “I suck” thread. But I love playing, and I never stop trying to develop into at least a mediocre player.

P-Nutz likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have several great guitars.
    I play them.
    Uh, does that count?
    OK, nevermind.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There are moments when I'm alone in the house, either plugged in or not, when greatness strikes, and I'm happy I'm there to see it.

In the rest of my waking moments, as it has the whole time I've played guitar, "good" keeps moving out ahead of me, but I keep chasing it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    LGOberean, P-Nutz, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
  14. KWal

KWal TDPRI Member

To say that I stink on ice would be a compliment. Even the dog leaves the room. Over all, the amount of times that playing relaxes me versus frustrates me is currently in the majority, so I keep at it. I've learned a lot in thirty years and I've forgotten more than I've learned, but the sounds of my Strat through my Blues DeVille brings a smile to my face and that's what counts these days.

P-Nutz likes this.
  15. Humble Pie

Humble Pie TDPRI Member

well beings you are asking ME then I will give my opinion, really pretty darned good!

I am sure others will have their own opinion!?

P-Nutz and stnmtthw like this.
  16. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I'm ok. I can hang with people that are much better than me, but I can never reach their level. And that's ok, because it's still fun after 25 years.

I like my rhythm playing. An old friend of mine (easily the best musician I've ever had a personal relationship with) once told me that I played guitar like a good drummer because my sense of time was so tight. That was one of the best compliments I've ever had, and was really encouraging.

I don't have a great grasp of music theory. My solos are serviceable, but not that good. I struggle with fingerpicking. I would love to do the Chet Atkins- Tommy Emmanual thing, but I just can't make my thumb and fingers do separate things.

Still lots to learn, and that's what is so great about music. It's a lifetime journey.

blueruins and P-Nutz like this.
  17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Your username suits you.o_O:D

18. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Sort of okay. I can’t play fast lead but I can learn most other stuff and I’m quite good playing in bands. If I can learn a song at home first, I can generally nail my parts live after one or two practice runs, if that. I know some guitarists with pretty advanced techniques who aren’t good band players so I suppose What I lack in one, etc.

P-Nutz likes this.
  19. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

It’s all relative, right?

Within the style that I play best, I play very good rhythm. I consider my lead work serviceable. I’m melodic, but not very fast. And, to me, my leads all kind of sound the same. But when I’ve shared this concern with band mates, they’ve assured me this isn’t the case.

I was much higher on my playing earlier this summer. But I was kicked out of a funk band I was really high on because apparently I’m too rock for what they were going for.

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Way beyond merely “great” but this thread was the closest to me so - consider yourself fortunate...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.