1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many of us are finger pickers?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by alexwilds, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

2. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I'm an occasional finger picker, but usually use a pick.....I think my fave pick lately is an old Ice Pix .... thin, copper or brass, dunno, brass perhaps, I love it, dunno if my strings do so much, but....it's got nice attack, yet flexible. Fingerpicking has it's moments, for sure

3. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I’ve been playing almost 60 years. And... sadly... I never learned to use a pick. Hurts when I play a steel string acoustic. Here’s me with my first guitar (& Beatles wig). D5224E2E-37E4-4A24-9A7A-B1B8E4912986.jpeg

P Thought and Bedder18 like this.
  4. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

As Ed Gerhard once said, "I'd rather make tears fall, than make jaws drop."

Dan German and Bedder18 like this.
  5. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

that’s a perfect way to sum up my musical goals. Great quote- thanks for that.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  6. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

I was a strummer then got into Townes Van Zandt years ago, so now I do more finger picking than anything else. Carter and Travis style.

7. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Herco picks are Sonny Landreth's preferred plectrums. I've used them, but they just don't sit well between my thumb and forefinger.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Which I guess I don't quite understand ( and this may just be the way I flatpick and fingerpick) as the Herco lines up exactly in the same way ( same shape/angle) I hold a flatpick. No different shape/point/ thickness

So for me, it feels like a custom fit pick: pretty much a Fender Medium ( Standard shape) flatpick that wraps around my thumb!

9. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

You bet, Bedder!

Bedder18 likes this.
  10. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

It is a Guitar Fetish body I bought that comes with the faux tortoise overlay. I bought a Warmoth Strat neck, did a faux tortoise headstock overlay and Hipshot lockers.

I bought a blank pickguard, and then did a very tricky semi-stealth installation with a pair of DeArmond Dynasonic pickups, a Schaller 3D bridge and a concentric knob harness. The neck is 1 & 3/4" nut width Boatneck profile with 6100SS wire, strung with .013-.054 D'Addarios.

I like it.

fullsizeoutput_12a1.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've done the hybrid thing (pick and fingers) ever since Jerry McGee started with the Ventures (1965). I found out that that was the style he used playing Jumbalia, and stayed with it.

12. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

1 and 3/4 nut is my prerequisite. Nice looking guitar and great specs.

P Thought likes this.
  13. hmemerson

According to The Ventures Website Jerry McGee joined the Ventures in 1968.

I was a Ventures nut case, and actually got to meet Nokie & wife Judy when they invited us to see a show at BB Kings.

My 2nd release, A Tale To Tell, was Nokie's web site 1st CD of the month when it first went on line. I wrote a bottleneck instrumental titled 'Nokie's Blue Bottle'.

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

14. hmemerson

Thank you!

So tell me: Where do YOU find electric guitars with 1 & 3/4" nuts, or do you also get Warmoth necks?

I think the only 'factory' electric I ever felt comfortable on were the 1960 Gibson ES-330 and really early 50's Les Pauls.

HE

Bedder18 likes this.
  15. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Best guitar parts is great. (And warmoth). I used to get them at usacg, I know Mark at MJT will be happy to make one for you.

...but I’ve found I can sometimes get by with a 1 and 3/4 nut on a 1 and 11/16 neck (and just barely shave the edges off). It works best on a Gibson scale length conversion, though. This is all in Fender world, of course...

But in 2015, Gibson decided to make their Les Pauls (and a few others) with a 1 and 3/4 nut. A lot of loyal Gibson folks hated it, but guys like me absolutely loved that year. Some 2016 models called “hp” continued that wider nut option. So, if you are looking for an alternative, those 2015 models sell for a lot less than your typical LP.

P Thought likes this.
  16. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

Can't really finger-pick; ten thumbs and two left feets. I kind of get into it sometimes with a pick and a couple of digits. I'd love to be able to do it like knoppfler, Atkins, or like a lot of the old Jazzmen do. I am 75, so I guess there's not much more time to get really good at anything but laying down...

Bedder18 and Bill Sheehan like this.
  17. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

There are sounds that I can get only with a flatpick. I have tried hybrid,
    and do it some,
    but it makes me feel like I'm missing a finger.
    I cup a pick, sometimes, but I am really the happiest when I just leave the darn thing in my pocket.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I do both fingerpicking, and flatpicking. Hybrid... not so much.

19. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

Started playing as a kid. Took lessons playing classical and jazz, so for the first 15 years played everything fingerstyle... But it meant that when I strummed, it was also without a pick. That sounded fine and gave me lots of variation and control in my playing... but, darn it, I'd wear away the nails on my first two fingers constantly. If I played a lot of steel-string, it would wear my nails to the point of painful.

As I got into my 20s, I started joining rock bands, playing guitar and bass, I found it was often just easier and less painful to play with a flat-pick. So since then, I alternate, depending upon the song and the sound I'm going for.

Since the pandemic hit and I've been playing more by myself, I'm playing a lot more fingerstyle. I've missed it.

I've always been a big fan of Lindsey Buckingham and Mark Knopfler's fingerstyle sounds.

Bedder18 likes this.
  20. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

How many of us are nose pickers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.