1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many miles do you live from Mom?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Brazen

Brazen Tele-Meister

Well, I've lost the travel bug, so since the last couple of years I'm living in the home country again. 10 miles by car.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm in Colo, my parents (dad and step-mom) live near Nashville. So, a pretty long ways. I make it there about once a year-- sometimes just me, other times with my wife and daughter.

3. arturocivit

arturocivit TDPRI Member

not enough

4. stein10311

stein10311 TDPRI Member

well my grandma is 5 mins away :)

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A good 25 minutes Motor.

6. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Pretty far -- she passed away in 2009.

7. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

Well, since you're on the metric system like everyone else in the world is except for the U.S.of A.....

2494.483 Kilometers...

That's 1.550 miles in 'Merican....

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

:(

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Heaven is so near, and so far...

Robert H. likes this.
  10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Up until a year ago I lived within a mile of Mom. My sister has since taken Mom to live with her in Louisiana, which is a couple of days drive from here.

11. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

i ve got you all beat

9290 miles

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

About 20ft ...

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My mother ( Mom) would have been 95 today- BUT my son has had a happy anniversary
    and his wife's Pop is 94 today.

14. Balou

Balou Tele-Meister

8 km !

15. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

Yes, how far is it to heaven? I know that's where my mom is and where I'll see her again ,hopefully. With Thanksgiving tomorrow and my mom's birthday on Friday ,I'm sure missing her. I'd give anything just to hear her voice call my name just one more time. And that goes for my dad as well. I hope everyone here has a safe and happy Thanksgiving,and if you spend it with mom and dad,be sure to give them a hug and tell them you love them.

teletimetx likes this.
  16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Less than 1 mile. We've been all over the state and even to Detroit, but ended up less than a mile from my Mom's place.

I gotta admit, it has come in handy over the years.

Even my wife's Mom and my Grandmother have moved within 10 miles. Makes things a lot easier to manage.

Our whole family is very self-involved, so nobody gets in anyone else's way. That most likely helps the whole thing work.

17. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

3.5 miles.

18. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Literally or figuratively?

19. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Soon after I posted this flippy reply, my mom (we figured this out later) suffered a stroke. She fell twice in a 24-hour period, called the sheriff three different times to report people lurking in various places in and around her house, and had other frightening hallucinations.

The stroke interferes with her ability to swallow, so she's developed "aspirational pneumonia". Mom's been able to hold conversations and recognize people she's talking to, but confusions and delusions reign; it's clearly dementia. She's in a nursing facility now--the same one where my dad died last December--and it's not likely she'll return home. I'm scrambling to grasp the byzantine penny-ante tangle of affairs she has operated from a "revocable trust", where I am largely blind and feeble until I "force" my successorship, something I might need help to do. Och, tamale.

Distance now is about five miles, and halfway to Heaven.

teletimetx likes this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Well, BDLH, if you’re still following this - my mom passed away almost 2 years ago. She really believed in Heaven, and she was a kind, intelligent and thoughtful woman, so I choose to believe that she’s there in Heaven, whatever you may or may not believe that to be. She taught English grammar to junior high students and passed along her love of reading and language and she played piano. One great memory includes the many Christmas eves that she played piano and I played guitar with many family members gathered around singing carols.

Back in those days, Boulder was a small, provincial town, not anything like the trustafarian refuge of convoluted wealth logic it has become (my apologies if that sounds somehow political).

I moved out of the house at 18, married at 19. Both of my children were born in my home town, but in 1981, I moved my family away, and from that point we were always somewhere between 700 to 1200 miles from home. My ex-wife and mother didn’t get along – at all – so the distance made some things easier, but truth be told, I did miss my family and during those days, I didn’t get many chances to go back to visit.

When I finally gave up on the first marriage (…hate to quit…), I ended up finding a woman who got along with my family with ease and grace. Unfortunately, by then, my father had passed away, but at least I got back to regular and comfortable visits with my family in Colorado.

About 2 months after my mother passed away, I ended up being selected for a jury in Houston, for a trial that lasted 3 weeks. During that period, I was constantly reminded (and thankful for), the kindness, fairness and sense of justice that my mother had somehow instilled in me. Yeah, there are tears in my eyes as I type this.

Take nothing for granted, my esteemed colleagues. If you’re celebrating the US Thanksgiving, or even if you’re not, take some time to remember all the things for which you may be truly thankful.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.