How many make it a habit to use amp covers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Oct 4, 2017.

1. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

It's a 50 year habit with me.

2. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

One of my cats puked on the controls of my Classic 50. Went right in the input jacks, and messed up everything. Never again!
    At least a towel folded over a couple times.

3. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Always. Every amp I own has a cover. Living in Scotland you really need to have a cover if you are taking an amp out of the house due to all the rain. In fact I'm surprised that more companies don't supply covers with an amp being sold in the UK. The only amp I have that actually came with one is my Fender '65 Princeton Reverb.

4. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Fender doesn't seem to make a cover for the Champion 40? I made one with brown paper grocery bags and masking tape.... complete with a Fender logo! Keeps the dust and cat hair off.... and the cats aren't shredding the grille cloth. I'm currently updating it with Sonic Blue duct tape and Trader Joe recycled plastic grocery bags <grin>.

xafinity and Vespa_One like this.
  5. intrentnet7

intrentnet7 TDPRI Member

mine is a '72 silverface super reverb and I bought the same cover. Perfect fit.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I use $4 bath/beach towels from the dollar store. Perfect lightweight dust covers. Never could understand a $50 bulletproof 5lb amp cover.
    Of course if its in and out of vehicles twice a week...

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Yes, I keep a brown Fender cover over my '63-reissue Vibroverb...prevents dust, light moisture, prying little fingers and grill damage (no cats, but things happen).

I wish I had bought two, in case this one gets damaged or lost. I'll have to search for another brown one--the ones that supposedly fit the Vibroverb that are being offered currently by Fender are black and just don't "fit" aesthetically.

I'd like to have a road case, but it adds significantly to the weight and bulk, so probably not going to happen.

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'
    By "Never again" do you mean that the cat is in kitty heaven?

As for me, I have covers for all of my gigging amps but just drape towels over them when at home...
    '

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

What, it didn't help you get that stanky tone you had been looking for?

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

upload_2017-10-4_7-53-56.png

Frodebro likes this.
  11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I use them generally. Here's an example of why (and all due respect to cat owners - my wife, for example) but I'm pretty sure none of my dogs have ever had designs to Zorro-up my grill cloth.

Ampeg Gem ii 1967 the signature of el gato.jpg

I can't see spending a lot on a cover; I gig at least once a week, so I use them for travel. It's nice when you get the original.

head amp cover T.jpg

There's a report to be posted on the Tremolux, but it's a work in progress. Maybe in a couple weeks.

E5RSY and RadioFM74 like this.
  12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would like a road crew to move cases, but so far no luck! :p

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

When I had an Egnater that came with covers, I used them all the time because they looked awesome. But I've never had a desire to purchase or use those plain black ones. If it's raining and I need to load my amp, I fabricate a cover out of a trash bag.

Vespa_One and xafinity like this.
  14. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

tap4154 likes this.
  15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I use them on most of my vintage amps, I’ve used Tuki and D2F covers, unfortunately I think D2F has gone out of business, the gentleman that ran it passed away and I don’t think anybody has stepped up to take over, or at least that’s what I’ve been able to gather.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My SCXD came with one (bought it used). First amp cover I've ever had, used it for about a month and now it gathers dust in the closet.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Dust in Lubbock, Texas. No kidding! I lived there for 3 years in the early 1970s. And in just that short space of time, we fought off dust storms. We would try to seal doors and windows with towels packed around them to keep the dust out of the house. During that time, I also witnessed it rain mud and snow reddish brown. I loved the people, and the sunsets...but I don't miss the dust in the least. My sinuses are acting up just thinking about it.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Deluxe Reverb and it came with one. I used it everywhere I took it.

Until Sunday night, at a gig, when some thieving magpie took it away to its nest.

Took my little handtruck too. I could understand why some as*hole would steal a nice little handtruck, but an amp cover? Really?

MilwMark likes this.
  19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have 3 of their basic black vinyl/felt covers. Some bump protection but mainly have them just for dust/spills on the amps I'm not using at the moment. Years ago I gave them measurements for my Red Knob Super 210 (which they didn't previously have) and the cover they made fits great. BTW it would also fit the Super 112. Basic black covers are about $40-$45, but they make fancy ones too. Also have some stock Fender covers and they're fine for dust/spills as well, but thinner material.

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Think of amp covers as condoms for amplifiers...gotta "protect" your aural tool(s) (wink,wink).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.