How many is to many? (Fender amp question)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drri, Dec 10, 2019.

1. drri

drri TDPRI Member

TDLR - I need the internet to tell me what amp to buy. :cool:

I've went to the darkside and bought (and use) both the new tone masters (Twin and DR). Love them both and no complaints about either one. Sold off a Fuchs head, EVH 5150III, and Vibroverb and realized I no longer own any tube amps... First time that's happened since I started playing in 96'..... To be fair only sold the Vibroverb because I was not really using it to its potential, loved the tone of that amp!!

A PRRI was on the list for next year purchases and of course one just came up at decent deal so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger now, don't want to abandon the tube world altogether. ;) But I got to thinking, how many variety Fender amps do I really need? I bought the DR tone master first after demoing both at a local store and thought it would suit my needs better at the time and I would pick up a Twin TM on the used market once they start showing up...... Well I couldn't wait and I was wrong, it would have suited me just fine in the beginning... Still don't regret the DR TM and use both a good bit and can see where they both would be good..... My amp needs are covered but I will be getting another tube amp (either the PRRI or maybe one of the Marshall SV20 heads) so do I stick with the tried true Fender tone where I can actually crank it to get that sweet OD or do I go for the variety and get the Marshall??

Tell me internet, how should I spend my money?!? ;):p:cool:

idjster likes this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

To me two is enough, from the third one is because of the gas....

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d want two.
    A nasty one and a clean one.
    Tweed Bassman (or Bandmaster), and a BF Super (or Twin).
    Anything else would be wasted on me.

nojazzhere and MrGibbly like this.
  4. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Get a Brown or Tweed one!

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

N+1

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I just bought yet another amp this morning myself so I say buy, buy, buy! That way I can tell my wife that I'm not the only one doing it.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Two can be enough. But 3 is pretty nice:
    -Super, Pro or Twin Reverb etc for those outdoor or big room gigs.
    -Deluxe Reverb for 90% of gigs.
    -Princeton reverb or Z Ghia etc for very small/volume sensitive gigs and recording.

BAM! You've got it all covered.

39martind18 likes this.
  8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have 14... get with the program...

9. Joshiquad

Joshiquad TDPRI Member

My standard answer applies here: too many is not enough.

Deathray likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I would've kept the Vibroverb.
    I love Tube amps, but Boss is making some great modeling amps. I have a Katana because it was loaded with effects and was inexpensive. Boss also has the Nextone series with switchable power tube sound effect - 6V6/6L6/EL84/EL34 for whatever tube amp you want to emulate on a given day. Good prices too.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I now have 7 amps and there's still more I'd like to have. Why should we put a limit on the things we like anyway?

NewKid, nojazzhere and bgmacaw like this.
  12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

When I was gigging I used all tube amps, so it may not be fair comparison.

I played everything from tiny bars to small and medium clubs to large halls to outdoors - usually without mic'ing in the early days. Clarence White was the one who gave me the "secret sauce" I used until I had to stop playing out 3 years ago (due to chronic/neuropathic pain):

Use the lowest output amp you can get away with at each venue, where you can set the clean amp volume about 10% below the top of its headroom with your guitar controls rolled back 15-25% (depending on the guitar pickups, pots, etc).

This gives you just enough "room" to kick the volume up for clean solos and a little more to slide into mild saturation. You need a good amp tech that will work with you at gig volume to "dial in" your amps - the right tubes, tweaking preamp gain, and the right bias setting for the power tubes (even cathode biased amps can be adjusted to find the "sweet spot").

So I had no need (or desire) to drag a Twin around and use an "overdrive pedal" (which is actually a mild distortion pedal in our confusing gadget lexicon) wen I could only turn it up to 2 or 3 (with the resulting sucky, thin clean tone).

After the 70's I had zero need to 100 watt combos or stacks. I could cover just about anything with a (these are just examples of output) Super Reverb/Pro Reverb/Vibroverb or AC15(which has the volume of the others if set up correctly), a Deluxe Reverb/+/- 20 watt Bluesbreaker/etc, and an 8-12 watt Airline, Silvertone, Magnatone - even a Champ.

And I ALWAYS carried a backup that was from the highest (or next highest) group just in case. I never needed one because I kept my amps maintained, but I loaned them out at least a couple dozen times!

I do use "drive" pedals of various types, but not for "overdrive" or distortion unless I want a specific *sound*. I get the normal stuff from my amps.

So when I was gigging 3-4 times/week at all sorts of venues I needed (at minimum) 4-5 gig amps. I know guys who only play one or two places regularly and have 3 gig amps (two with very different output and one "in between" as a backup). And almost every club player around southwest L.A. County I know uses very close to the same system. nobody ends up with the dreaded "too much amp"problem of thin basic tone and over-reliance on pedals, and nobody gets caught short - they can just run the planned amp and the backup.

I'm still a bit leery of digital amps. They work great in the studio, but getting one dialed in for 5 or 6 different types of venues with the same control as you have with a number of tube amps concerns me. I have an Atomic Amplifire and FRFR cabinet, discarded most of the over-the-top presets, and have been amble to program 5 or 6 decent amp sounds. But when I experiment with playing at various gig-type volume levels it's difficult - if not impossible - to set up the same easily accessible levels of control I have with tubes.

So for me the jury is still out. I think there will be several firmware updates...even completely new amps - before players can easily use them like tube amps.

And I think of this every time I see an ad on Facebook for my buddy Ritchie Fliegler's (when he was at Fender )highly-touted "do everything amp of your dreams" - the Fender Cyber Twin.

For $400.

:lol:

PS - I don't gig any longer but even for home use I like varied tones, so I have a '53 Pro, '62 Bandmaster, '62 Concert, a '60 Twin (completely unlike the Twin Reverb!), a Vox AC15H1 Hand Wired TV model (combining the EF86 and Top Boost circuits) plus a '61 Showman for bass. And a Vibratone, which sot of fits in the amp category. I have a bunch of others, but I'm also a collector and tech.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Andy B and dreamingtele like this.
  13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Is it even possible to have too many?

My stock answer when my wife asks, "how many amps do you actually need?" is "at least one more."

bftfender and Deathray like this.
  14. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

I’d say Joe Bonamassa’s collection is verging on too many.

I hope he leaves us some.

[​IMG]

Alter, bftfender and drri like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Why?.....as Bob Weir once said...."spirit of Christian temperance"......;)

16. drri

drri TDPRI Member

I really tried to reason keeping it, I just don't play anywhere I can play it loud enough. I mean I never got it above 3! it was a shame to see it go to waste like that. But I did discover that I love a 10in speaker, hence the Princeton desire

Zepfan likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wait until they come out with a tweed TM amp.

Lef T and drri like this.
  18. drri

drri TDPRI Member

See, this is kinda where my head is at... Although with the TM amps I don't think in terms of room size, don't need to with the attenuation. Rehearsals with one band the Twin is on 5w, cranked to 8. No OD pedals for regular OD, just boost/color when needed. So here's my line of thinking:

-Twin for trio group/outdoor gigs where not mic'd
    -Deluxe Reverb for two guitar groups/quick jams - using attention again to get that cranked tone at any volume.
    -Princeton Reverb would be two fold - 1. I like having the 10in option. 2. I'd feel better having at least one tube amp in the house I can use.

Only thing holding me up is the I've already two Blackface amps which I love. The Marshall SV20 head would add some different options/flavors.... and it's still tubes

19. drri

drri TDPRI Member

My friends and I have already been discussing which model we'd like to see next. Kinda hoping for a Super or a Bassman.

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

put the bare basics in 1 room yesterday that are constantly used for recording.. amp land1.jpg

drri likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.