How many hours do Artist Practice...?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Bongoslade, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Bongoslade

Bongoslade Tele-Meister

i read this article and it was interesting enough to share with you all.

i was surprised i only knew of 3 of the artists in the piece.

i strive for 1 hour, or at least play guitar each day - also whenever the muse hits me i play.

How Many Hours Do you practice

it's a good article - enjoy

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sometime in my career, I realized that I can get more done if I focused on 2 different activities that alternate guitar with physical therapy. The idea is that when one activity becomes boring, my interest perks up when I move on to the second activity. Bored again? How about switching back to the first kind of activity?

Over and over. And over.

bromdenlong, Bongoslade, SbS and 5 others like this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I did a recording project with a great player, and he said that he'd need to practice 6-8 hrs./day for a month or so to get his chops up to where he was ready to cut the solos.

IIRC, Tuck Andress devised some practice routines to increase his pinky dexterity, and he spent an hour a day on it for eighteen months, before he noticed significant improvement.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Bela fleck used to just pick the banjo up for five or ten minutes at a time, play a bit. Put it down. Do something else. Pick it up. Another 10 minutes

His bandmate bassist victor wooten dislikes practice. He advocates essentially playing without thinking too hard about it.

I try to do at least an hours playing a day.

Greggorios and Bongoslade like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

At my peak, I was playing with others around eight hours a day. Five sets five days a week, jam sessions, rehearsals, etc. nothing like that now.

6. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

Does reading threads about practice count as practice?

P Thought, Mark617, MLHull and 22 others like this.
  7. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

One hour playing, 9 hours thinking and listening......

Matt G and Bongoslade like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely, but only TDPRI threads
    I'm reached status of ' Master Guitarist' from this skill alone

my real practice schedule is:

- gig alot
    - noodle at home alot & pretend that's practice.

Sometimes it just means holding a guitar, watching TV
    ( there must be SOME value in that!)

9. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

Practice/Learning is (almost) as much about anxiety control as it is technical progress for me

I don't worry when I'm learning.

So...one to three hours a day unless I have a project on the go.

Bongoslade and dlew919 like this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Different kinds if practice does different things for different people. If I played 12 hours a day, but only played songs that used G C and D, and a minor pentatonic scale, I'd get worse, not better, because I'd be essentially repeating what 12 year old me was doing after noodling around for 2 years. I should probably be doing other things 20 years later......

When I was younger, my strengths as a guitar player were built from what my bandmates lacked in tempo timing, harmonizing vocals, and moving around if I could at a given venue.

This meant I had to figure out singing lead while playing and working in more flashy fills on my own time.

Being in multiple bands at once let me work on stuff I didn't even think about; had a project that didn't go too far with a bass player that did the Les Claypool stuff great. Band was thrown together by a mediocre singer who could write good, and was the primus guy, the best drummer the singer and I knew, and myself.

3 practices of the drummer and myself trading "how does this dude not understand song structure " looks every 43 seconds, and the singer not leading the band, and we were done.

That was the oddest one. But what I've noticed in recent years is when I had less gear, i knew exactly how to set up the 2 amps and 2 guitars, never paid it any thought. Now, with the added guitars, pedals, and amps, I have to use a combination I've already gotten the ideal sound from, or I loose time. Alot of time. So i don't use the Fender 75 with the newer guitars, and don't use the strat or toronado with the 3 newer amps, and basically my bugera stays in my sons room now, so i dont touch it as much as the other stuff.....

Bongoslade, OmegaWoods and black_doug like this.
  11. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

We've heard the expression "Practice makes perfect."

Well, it's actually "Practice makes permanent."
    If you practice it wrong, it'll be wrong for a long time and difficult to correct.

So learn to do it right!

12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I think many people mistake playing for practice. Nothing wrong with either, but just be honest with yourself.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Buddy Guy and Albert Collins both said they didn’t practice much, if at all.

I practice when I’m trying to get down a riff (whether new by me or new to me), and (with the band) on the songs that have breaks, bridges, key modulation or odd meter.

14. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

When you're Buddy Guy or Albert Collins, you have the luxury of doing "your thing" and expecting the rest of the band to give you a bed of sound to toss "your thing" on. They have mastered what they are doing and they just do it. Doing a hundred shows a year keeps one's chops up.

I bet they both practiced when they were young.

Compare that to the classical musicians in the original post. They are adding to their repertoire and so need to practice to polish their pieces and commit them to memory. If Yo Yo Ma was improvising over a 12 bar blues in Bb every night, he probably wouldn't practice six hours a day either.

It's all music but the focus and demands on the artists are different.

Matt G, jman72, buster poser and 4 others like this.
  15. Jem999

Jem999 TDPRI Member

Antonio introduced Paco (de Lucía) to the guitar at a young age and was extremely strict in his upbringing from the age of 5, forcing him to practice up to 12 hours a day, every day, to ensure that he could find success as a professional musician.

I was impressed with that info long time ago

matrix, Bobbyoso and Bongoslade like this.
  16. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Heh, I played 2 yrs before I found a teacher. I have realized,now, it took me 6 months to un-learn my bad habits!

Bongoslade likes this.
  17. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

"Don't practice untill you get it right, practice it untill you can't get it wrong!"

18. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

This is the point most often missed when people talk about what famous people do or don't do. When you're playing 100+ shows a year with top notch musicians and you've been playing for 50 years, it's a whole different ball game.

Not that I'm in any way comparing myself to Buddy Guy or Albert Collins, but in the 70's when I was playing clubs 4-6 nights a week, I didn't practice anywhere near as much as I do now.

Matt G, matrix, Wildcard_35 and 3 others like this.
  19. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I was young and after I made the decision that this was going to be my career, I put in 3+ hours everyday for years and years. There were and occasionally still are times when I'd play/practice all day. At present I know how to focus what it is I need to work on and improve with efficiency.
    I'm not Albert Collins. I have no "original voice" so to speak. I'm a utilitarian player that has to have a certain level of technique and understanding to work.

Matt G, Larry F, Bongoslade and 6 others like this.
  20. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

Great point.

I watched Tim Pierce (!) talking about getting ready for playing at the Grammys (Grammies?). He said he does his part FIFTY times a day for a week AT LEAST to make sure when he steps on stage, there is no way for him to mess up.

That really helped calibrate my thinking about how many times I should expect to have to play something before "I got it".

klasaine, Matt G, Bongoslade and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.