How many here play a 9.5 string set???

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I played 11s on everything (Fenders/Gibsons/etc.) for many years, and started moving to 10s about five years ago due to hand issues.

Okay, age issues.

I have 9.5s on a few Fenders now, and they work fine. Easier on the fangers too, despite me being a ham-fisted player with absolutely no measurable levels of finesse.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I've been using 9.5s a lot recently - I do like them. I have them on a Tele and a 335. It'll be a toss up between 9.5s or 9-46 on my new Performer Tele when I finally get it set up correctly next week.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
My Teles are quite happy with SIT .0095s.
My Strat sings with .011.
The SG,LP TV Special , and PRS like .010.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
D'Addario 9.5 for the past many many years. Until about 2 months ago, now I'm D'Addario 9 on all of my 25.5"

TopJimmy5150

TDPRI Member
I ran a 9.5 set back in the 80s and 90s when I had a Kramer with a cheap Floyd Rose II that broke strings all of the time. It helped a little, but what really helped was moving to a better guitar!

jvanhorn

Tele-Meister
Try a set of Stringjoy custom broadway pure nickel. they don't cost anymore than a regular set but you will have to order off their website. try these guages 9.5 11.5 15 24 30 40 .You might just be surprised. P.S. stole the idea for the 15 guage from Jimi Hendrix, lol

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
I've been experimenting with Ernie Ball Primo and Turbo Slinkys (9.5 - 44 / 46) on my Fender scale length guitars. They are pretty nice - they feel little different from 10s but nothing too noticable. My Tele which naturally has a higher tension (10s feel like 11s on this guitar) really likes these strings.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
A few months ago I bought a few packs of 9.5 strings: Ernie Ball, D'Addarios to try out on my Tele but have yet to do so. Once I went back to using a regular set of .10s, I haven't looked back.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The crazy thing about .0095 string sets is that, when they're manufactured, the production tolerance is probably in the neighborhood of
+/- .0005 making the it a crapshoot as to whether it actually makes a difference or not in the grand scheme of things.

Educate me if I have this wrong.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm absolutely loving the 9.5's on my new Squier Tele Thinline- just feels and sounds fantastic. Heck of a guitar!

Sticking with 10's on Strat and Dano

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I use them on all my electrics. 25.5” and 24.75” scale. My only complaint is that they aren’t that popular, so you rarely see them on sale. I look for the best price I can find for a dozen sets of the .010 gauge, then call my contact at Sweetwater, and they will match that price.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The crazy thing about .0095 string sets is that, when they're manufactured, the production tolerance is probably in the neighborhood of
+/- .0005 making the it a crapshoot as to whether it actually makes a difference or not in the grand scheme of things.

Educate me if I have this wrong.
You are probably about right on the tolerance, but 5 ten thousandths (=1/2 of a thousandth) isn't much. Wire is pulled through a die so I imagine the string usually runs much closer than half a thousandth.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I've been using 9.5's lately. It surprises me how different they feel from 10's on a 25.5 scale. Much easier on old hands. I definitely prefer 10's but need to compromise. Who'da thunk it? Five thousandths makes a difference.

One problem I ran into is when playing slide, I keep fretting out when playing, I had to raise my action.... the tension is a lot lower...

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
You are probably about right on the tolerance, but 5 ten thousandths (=1/2 of a thousandth) isn't much. Wire is pulled through a die so I imagine the string usually runs much closer than half a thousandth.
I have a few sets of .0095's and honestly I can't really tell the specific difference. They just feel a teeny weeny tiny bit different in one way or another. But not specifically lighter than 10,s and heavier than 9's. Just different.
It's probably my arthritis kicking in and masking the critical feel needed to detect the difference.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
When I went to a 23" scale (from 25.25"), I had to drop a half-thou to retain the feel I was getting from the 10s I play on the longer scale. When I designed the set, I dropped the size of all the strings down to the next nearest size. Now, I can swap between the two banjos and they feel very much the same under the fingers.

Wait. You mean for guitars? Um. Whatever is in the Hybrid Slinky set from EB (9-46).