How many here own an American Vintage '58?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by moosie, Sep 22, 2021.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We all know the AV52 and the AV64. Very popular guitars.

The AV58 always seemed like the unwanted stepchild, for some reason. I wonder why that was? I always thought it might have something to do with the neck, which is a bit weird. D shape, they called it.

Anyway, in the last few days here, I've noticed a number of people saying they had one.

So, just out of curiosity, raise your hand if you ever owned one, and tell us about it.

I'll go first. I got mine in 2013, new. Still have it. I never fell in love with the pickups (they're "fine"), and I wanted to try something different, so I put a set of Stuart Blackguards into it. A3 magnets, perfect for that clean, clear Buckaroo sound.

At that point I'd only been playing a couple years, and was still learning what I liked. I had hated Telecasters, but they were sneaking up on me! I had a modern spec one that I didn't really like. Realized I needed something.....

When I saw this one on Reverb, my world changed. I've been a fan of vintage specs ever since.

I almost didn't get it. I was trying to be clever with a lowball offer. Initially a store employee rejected it. But then hours later, the shop owner messages me, asking to deal. What the heck?

I found out that it was brand new, but listed as "mint". It was a special order for a customer, but they made a mistake: it was supposed to be an AV64!

He was stuck with it and needed the cash, so I got the guitar. Good thing, too, or I'd have regretted it.

Here's what I saw when I opened the case:

AV58 Tele.jpg

And here it is later, after I installed a Rutters bridge, with custom cutaway, and Rutters compensated saddles, strung toploader. The switch on the control plate is probably a blower, bypassing tone and volume.

_body in case.JPG

So what's your AV58 story?

2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never owned one, had the chance to try one in sunburst and I loved the neck. Unfortunately they don't appear on the used market frequently and when they do, they are sold within a few hours if the price is right.

There is one locally waiting to be sold, but the seller is asking full retail price (1800) for a well battered telecaster, which is not good for me.
    I have tried to low the price but got no answer, go figure.

Yours is a very (VERY!!) nice specimen, I love it!

moosie likes this.
  3. moosie

Yeah, it's funny how some prices evolve. That high price could be partly the worldwide thing we can't mention :lol:. Some prices for things I own have skyrocketed.

I just sold a 2016 Wildwood Thinskin AV65 Jazzmaster for full original list price. I bought it used.

Prices on AVRI 62 Teles are nuts, too. I paid a pretty hefty price for one last year, and now they're all at least 35% more. No, I'm looking to sell mine. I'm actually considering buying another, in sunburst. Nice guitars!

mimmo likes this.
  4. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Nice guitar. I don't have one myself, but wonder if they are less popular than other models as a lot of people consider the '52 to be the quintessential maple board Tele and are drawn to that model more.

Probably? How did you end up with a switch on your guitar that you don't know what function it has?! I assume you installed it or had someone install it for you as was not stock when new.

What's the benefit of the bridge having a cutaway? I can see it in the photo but can't work out its purpose.

moosie likes this.
  5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive been chasing that model myself!! not too many out there!!!

moosie likes this.
  6. moosie

Hah, I re-read it and just knew someone would hit me on the 'probably'. I woke up one morning, and it was there. Ah, just kidding. I bought it new, stock. I maintain all my own gear. I wire many different things, change them, wire something else, etc. I've got a drawer right now full of eight fully loaded control plates that do all kinds of things. I like to do it, but the sad fact is that I play middle 95% of the time, and rarely use the esoteric stuff.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the photo is old, at least a few years ago. The finish is a lot more checked now.

The cutaway is so the lip doesn't get in the way of my picking. Normally I pick further up, but if I want it close to the bridge, I find my second/third fingers catch on the lip when I'm hybrid or fingerpicking.

I'm kinda surprised you ask. Isn't this a problem for everybody? OK, maybe not a big problem, but annoying?

7. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I was imagining a phantom guitar modifier! That makes sense. I stopped modifying instruments when I realised I used the same standard settings most of the time. I did try something recently that I like though, which is wiring a blend pot to bring the bridge pickup in, but out of phase with the neck so it cuts the bass and gets more nasally sounding. That was a Strat though.

Anyway, as for the cutaway bridge, that's a good reason for a cutaway. I've just played my Tele and fortunately, I don't have the same issue even when picking close to the bridge. It makes me wonder if it was a problem Fender were addressing when they designed the American Standard Tele bridge without the lip.

8. moosie

Now I wanna test and see, but I haven't been able to play for three weeks. Got a bandage on the picking hand - bandsaw 'event'. Supposed to get stitches out tomorrow. The not playing is driving me nuts, but what's almost as bad is the typing. I'm a touch typist... normally. Feels like I'm working in mittens. Se, thos oid the original verysiopn of the tedt, before I edit iot.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I love my burst model. Sounds incredible, looks incredible, feels incredible. It and a blonde AV '64 are my only two traditional Teles (I have an Aerodyne and a Paranormal Cabronita in addition).

The new AO Series had come in, but my favorite local shop had a few AVs still on the wall. They had a pair of '58 Teles, one blonde and one burst. They had a Burgundy Mist '65 Strat, and a Shoreline Gold '65 Strat.

They were priced at $1,600 (about $500 below retail), to move them along – except for the gold Strat, which was priced at $1,300 because it had a ding, and the original case had been damaged in shipment from Fender. It came with the tweed Classic Series case instead (not the G&G-made black reissue case that it is supposed have).

I got the burst '58 Tele, and a few months later, I got the gold Strat.

The Strat checked like a mo-fo, very quickly...and I suspect it's because it was stored in the cheaper case, which always smelled like chemicals to me. I have heard of the same thing happening to some Music Mans back in the '70s and '80s. The offgassing of case adhesives caused finish checking. I really want to track down the right case for this guitar, but they are no longer made, and they are like hen's teeth on the used market.

Both are outstanding instruments.

RadioFM74 and moosie like this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I tried the av52 and 64 at a time where I was obsessed with getting an AV, but neither hit me just right. Lots were up for resale

When I heard Muddy played a 58 I was desperate to try one. It was when they cancelled them. My buddy who is a Fender agent said there was one left in stock in the warehouse in Europe I could buy retail but he said if he got it I couldn't just try it, I had to commit without seeing it

Told him I couldn't buy without seeing. Never seen one anywhere and I suspect the reason they are never around is because no one wants to let go a great guitar

Heard the 60s Baja has a 58 pickup in the bridge so got that. My No1!

I have a standing search on eBay for a 1958 telecaster. I keep getting notification of a bridge for sale or something

I could tell a similar story about a Muddy Waters tele, but it would sound so exactly the same no one would get to the end of it

Would love to play one of each. Every AV I played was interesting. Wish I bought a roomful when they used to pop up used at 700 a few years ago

RadioFM74 and moosie like this.
  11. moosie

I have a couple of CS Strats, which held me back from getting an AV65. I often think I'll sell one, and see if I can find an AV, but it's uncertain work, and I'm very happy with them. Don't mess up a good thing... if we were talking about Teles, I'd just get one, and keep the others, but I don't need that many Strats.

Can't you find a similar G&G case? I bought a nice black tweed one for my AV52, which came to me without a case. I saw black tolex, too. Maybe not the brown though.

My black tweed is real nice . Cost a bit, but I hate gig bags.

12. moosie

I finally got all three, 52, 58, 64, but though I'm a big fan of the CAR color of my 64 (avatar), I would also like a blonde.

*The AV CAR is more ruby than most shades I've seen. It's better than my 2013 57 time machine Strat.

Took forever to find the 52. By the time I got serious about it, they discontinued. I bought one of the two that Musicians Friend had - by this time no one else had any. But it was terrible. There were at least two things wrong with the body, resulting in the pickguard, bridge, and control plate all being misaligned. I was gonna fill and redrill all the holes, but crap... on a brand new guitar? Sent it back. Never did find another new one. I gave up, and then a couple years ago, everyone on here was loving theirs, so I began looking again, for used this time.

I bought from a guy who was selling his #1, to pay bills. Made me feel bad, but I didn't really believe it, that it was so good, blah blah. He contacted me a month later, wanting to buy it back. Sorry, no. He was right, it really is a good one.

Even though I don't play my Strats enough, I wish I'd bought one of each of the AVs. Came very close to buying one of the limited 54s, in 2014. Now that's one I never hear about. They must all be under beds....

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

That’s the one I would have picked out of the AV-Teles.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  14. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

So what makes a '58, a '58, in a few sentences?
    Neck shape. Pickups, I'm guessing?

15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is very nice.

I have not played a 58 AV.

16. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have a 2012 ‘58 and a 2013 ‘64. I bought the 58 used off of another member for a good price. I love them both, but prefer the 64 slightly more for the pickups and the aesthetics. The feel between them is mostly interchangeable to me, so I may depart with the 58 at some point.
    E4172793-9E1E-4E95-8890-6DDBC28A71F7.jpeg

17. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

Beautiful! I’d love to get one someday

A blonde one, I played one in a store but ended up with something else I wanted at the time, by the time I could afford another it sold

I like em!

18. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had one! A 2012.

The tone was pure magic! Had a super cool range from sweet clear Telecaster to a distorted growl! Under 7 lbs.

ONLY reason I sold it was I like thicker necks and the 7.5" did fret out on extreme bends.

Still one of the best two Telecasters or even electric guitars I've ever heard when I played. The other a CS 70th Anniversary Broadcaster.

RadioFM74, moosie and Rustbucket like this.
  19. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Ha! Take a closer look at post #16! It’s in good hands.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  20. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Haha!

I thought that may be it!

If I didn't have my Broadcaster I'd try to get that back off you and get a thicker neck....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.