How many here NOT come to the Tele via country music?

TampaMan

Tele-Meister
This is kind of iffy but here goes...

I came from classical guitar but adored Clarence White after I saw the Byrds in in 1971 at the Hollywood Palladium. I was so close I could have spit and hit him. He just dazzled me and I always craved a Tele ever since. Little did I know all those bends were from his B-Bender. Doesn't matter, he never showboated and was the consummate team player but he boy could he down right burn. He had total control of that guitar and could make it do anything he wanted. Inspired me to continue playing guitar.

BTW, contrary to a certain bio on the Byrds, they really cooked and put on a classic performance that night.

MarkA

Tele-Meister
I was a les Paul player for years, then decided to build a guitar and the body I got was based on a tele.. when fully assembled it had a clarity and feel that just felt right. Now building a tele with dual humbuckers for the heavier side of my music.

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire
The Boss, Prince, Tom Petty and many others as well as an ASAT Blues Boy (w/out and F hole) brought me here. Actually they brought me to this thread. Wanting to building a guitar for my son brought me to TDPRI.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I came here in spite of Country, not because of it.

Peace to all who did.

Yep, never been a fan, personally.

For me, it was Mick Green, Wilko Johnson, Joe Strummer, who tickled my Tele-bone.

Back in the day (late '70s) when a mid '60s tele was just 'old', I had a scruffy one for a few years. Like virtually every other instrument/amplifier I've ever owned, I regret parting with it.
Might get another one soon, but I doubt it will be 'vintage' :)

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Country music has always been on my radar some, although most of my musical influences were blues and '70s guitar rock, and today I listen to just about everything but jazz, which irks me with its hipster BS.

My first electric was a '62 Esquire, and I always wanted a red Strat as a kid. Wish I still had that Esquire ...
For years all I played was Les Pauls with humbuckers because they rock and they have enormous genitals.
Also had a CS 335 and even a blueburst Dean Z with blackbacks while I did worship music if you can dig that.
But when I quit doing church stuff, I sold off my gear. Then I got interested in playing again years later when I had the resources to buy more gear, starting with a couple of US Guild acoustics.

When it came time to get an electric, I remembered how many hours of my youth I spent with the Esquire and got an MIM Telecaster which I upgraded a bunch. Loved how comfortable it was to play and how great it sounded on many different styles of music, including blues, folk, country, and rock (no metal). I discovered I could make it do what I wanted sound-wise with the right effects and the right amount of practice, and it became my favorite.

The Strat thing is just too "Johnny's First Guitar" for me these days. Telecasters are more comfortable and versatile and I've since built and upgraded a few that I really like, so I guess I ended up being a Tele guy. Go figure.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Me too.

When I started messing around on guitar again about five years ago(?), I also started watching some guitar / pedal / etc. channels on YouTube. And I started to notice Teles in a less twang, more clear cut rock context. I’d been pretty blind to them before that.

Then one thing led to another.

Pax/
Dean

deepintheblues

TDPRI Member
When my guitar tutor handed me a Tele to try (I was playing a Gretsch Jet) that was it I was smitten - the feel, the simplicity, the single coils. The build quality.
As for country - I really like it.
But then I really like Joanne Shaw Taylor and she predominantly uses an Albert Collins signature.
It’s definitely the feel of it, just how comfortable it is, there’s a reason it’s stayed in production all this time and design hasn’t changed - it just works.

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
Muddy Waters seen live at The Bottom End around ‘74, + Roy Buchanan. Tho as a long time lover of country music I have to admit a HUGE love of Buck Owens, who I never hoped in any way to emulate.
Was playing an old Es335 previously owned by my mother in law’s brother who’d been in the Harmonicats. Like an idiot, in love with Mark Knophler, I sold that magnificent 335 in order to buy a Strat that I hated to death, and sold to finance the purchase of a new ‘88 MIJ “62 Tobacco Sunburst Tele that still have till today. Didn’t love the neck - so went to Roger Sadowski who did a dual radius set-up and fatter frets. This one goes to the grave with me.

guitfiddles

Tele-Meister
I got a deal on a Tele I couldn't pass up, then learned what it was all about from there.
I was a Strat-cat and still am to a degree, but a Tele in the middle position is now one of my fave tones.
Same here. I was always a strat guy for like 20 years and then got a tele and that middle position is my favorite.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I played hollow bodies and semi hollows for years. When I got the itch for a solid body I began watching videos of Phil X plying different guitars for comparison. I was sold on Telecasters