How many here NOT come to the Tele via country music?

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Joe Strummer sold me on the image-

22043000369.jpg

Jimmy Page sold me on the sound-

hqdefault.jpg

kidmeatball

Tele-Meister
I was in the market for my first electric and I had it down to two styles, an SG or Tele. My instructor suggested a Tele. I don't regret for a second going with his advice. Whenever I look at SGs in my price range (~$400) I'm stunned how crappy the fretwork is. I hear tons of horror stories about all manner of Gibsons/Epiphones and their headstocks getting knocked off. All hail the indestructible Tele!

teletubby25

Tele-Meister
saw mine hanging on the wall at the guitar shop I go to. it "spoke" to me, that was all it took. Squier 3tone sunburst, rosewood fretboard, hb in neck. Scooooorrre! Changed white pickguard to pearloid.

YellowBullet

Tele-Meister
I actually have no idea why tele at first place but i can say that i cant live without one anymore. Boring story i know, but i really dont know. One Day i just woke up with obsession to get tele. So i got one and never looked back since. Quite funny that i come from acoustics and sort of "heavier" axes like les pauls and ibanez, but tele just happened to me quite recently and i feel stupid that i never even considered it in past 26 years of my playing. Strange indeed, but yeah i didnt come to tele via country.

Last edited:

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
I came to country via the Tele, not the other way around. Mostly, I just love their feel and sound, and didn't want to be a Strat-only guy.

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
Being a youth in the UK it was indie rock that got me into my teles and strats. I think this website had a lot to do with it too, always ended up here when I was looking something up so I figured you guys must know what your talking about when it comes to what makes a guitar great. ;)

roeg

Tele-Meister
Not by country music here.By rock.Players.A list too long and varied for the scope of this post.

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
I was in the market for my first electric and I had it down to two styles, an SG or Tele. My instructor suggested a Tele. I don't regret for a second going with his advice. Whenever I look at SGs in my price range (~$400) I'm stunned how crappy the fretwork is. I hear tons of horror stories about all manner of Gibsons/Epiphones and their headstocks getting knocked off. All hail the indestructible Tele!

I went the other way to begin with, had cheap strat copy for my first guitar sort of put me off bolt on necks so when I got my first good guitar I got an Epiphone g400 pro but I still found my way to the telecaster eventually. The SG was a really good guitar, I won't go into tone because it's a completely different beast and can't be compared to single coils but in terms of playability it was as good/better than all the guitars I've tried out/had.

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
Tele's eventually got me into Country...not the other way around.

Got my first MIM used & it just felt right in the shop I was noodling in. Started playing slide & blues on it, then started researching various Tele players.

Roy Buchannon records lead to Roy Nichols who lead to Redd Volkaert then Pete Anderson and so on

brogh

Staff member
what really started the spark was sheryl crow, I wouldn't define her country, never seen a telecaster before, but I was a drummer back then ( yeah right jokes on me :p) then I got to know all the other things that are around this wonder guitar.

jaybones

Friend of Leo's
Keith Richards.

And I never dug country music where you'd have all those people playing instruments, and the twangy tele got to do his solo, before the pedal steel and fiddle. 12 guys on stage, and none of them really playing, too formulaic for me.

Plumber

Tele-Holic
Saw Pat Benatar in the early 80s, Neil Geraldo was playing a tele the whole gig with a rope strap

Coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I bought my first Tele years later - I've had it around 25 years now

Hippieway

Tele-Holic
Not to sound harsh but I don't acquire guitars because of who played one or the music they are associated with. There are all sorts of guitars I'm drawn to for a lot of different reasons but I didn't get a Tele or a Strat because I wanted to sound like somebody in particular or to play a certain style of music. All my guitars are for me plus there isn't a big desire to sound like anyone but me.
I know a lot of you guys are in bands, and it's important to sound spot on but as a lonely bedroom player that's not what I'm about, I just like guitars and what we do together.

richa

Tele-Afflicted
I tend to agree with what you're saying. I'm a novice guitar player in addition to not having anything professionally at stake. Still...a big part of why I'm building a tele for my first solid body electric is seeing a video of Ted Greene playing baroque improv on one. Not that I need a tele to do that or a tele will make me sound like Ted Greene. A tele and a truckload of hard work and talent will make you a talented guitar player.:) But people whose music I like create a sort of affection for the tools they use and all other things being equal influences my desires about what I want to work on. Plus I like bluegrass too and everyone knows you can't play bluegrass on a strat (just kidding).

Colaiza1965

Tele-Meister
I have a new appreciation at age 50. I wanted to vary my guitar sounds and my versatility so I made a diy via warmoth. It has really opened my eyes/ears up to new possibilities. As a cover band guitar player I can play songs now that didn't quite sound right with a strat. I have a new admiration for twang! But just the right amount. Country players are great, and I could never do some of the licks they squeeze out of their teles. Although I grew up listening to the Zepps, Sabbaths, 80's, Flamenco and classical, I have always admired country players. Hats off. Now the next target is a Cabronita with TV Jones pickups.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
I actually discovered the Tele through Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Syd Barrett, David Gilmour, and of course Keef.

I loved The great heavy sounds these guys coaxed from their Teles. Then I got one and discovered hoe versatile it is.