How Many Here Live In A Different Country Than Your Birth Country?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Sep 22, 2019.

1. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's an hour south of somewhere that's a different time and place.

2. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

A different place, a different time. A land where the green was your ever companion and the sky's blue would charm the passion from your heart and soul. When honesty was the norm and God walked with men.

3. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Born in UK, raised in New Zealand, live in Australia, also lived in USA and Fiji.

Matt G likes this.
  4. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your own affair...

(I'm another immigrant to Japan, from the soon-to-break up UK)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought I was being discreet, I didn't say what I like doing to them, just that I like 'em.. :D

KevinB and Sleepyscholar like this.
  6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Born in Bristol UK (Southmead Baby Factory) 1938. Moved to Perth Western Australia in 1983 and in 2002 we moved to Mandurah 80Km south of Perth. Next move will be in that long black limousine.. S

Matt G likes this.
  7. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Similar story. Born in East L.A. moved to S.F. at 22, moved north to Sonoma County a few years later. Moved to Canada in 2007. Now a dual citizen. Probably never move back.

8. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Country = physical place
    Nation = people of that place
    State = sovereign government of that place

The United States is 50 sovereign states with a parallel federal government. Each state is sovereign and the federal government is too. The states and the feds have different powers and both derive their power from the consent of the people. Hence, Nation.

The United Kingdom is a state with 4 major nationalities and a few subgroups These would be English, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish from Northern Ireland. On a smaller scale with no less importance Manx, Cornish, Jersey, Guernsey, etc.
    For about 20 years the Brits have experimented with 'devolved powers' and allowed NI, Wales, and Scotland to have their own internal parliaments. Don't call it federalism, they hate that word. And don't ask why England doesn't get its own separate parliament. Also a taboo subject. ;)

The State of California does not allow the private 'importation' of fruit because the Mediterranean Fruit Fly nearly destroyed several types of fruit crops in California in the 1970s. I imagine other states (including Canada) confiscate fruit for much the same reason.

You want stress? Go through the border crossing from France to the UK in Calais these days.

Recently I have been stopped and searched 3 times in one crossing. The usual random search at the entry point, another seemingly random one in the middle where they check for chemical residue of explosives, and finally while pulling away from the ferry company's ticket booth by a Gendarme who was sure he had made a career collar.

The last time I crossed an obnoxious member of the British 'Border Force' questioned my documents (British and French) and told me I should have surrendered one for the other. She gave them both back. I scowled at her.

Daniel

9. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Born and raised in Northern Germany; I still go back there often. I have spent two years in Switzerland.

I did my PhD in France between 1992 and 1995 and came back here in 2001.

I love to call it Europe. That's where I'm from, that's where I am.

Matt G likes this.
  10. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Have you ever been back? If so, what was your impression? I wasn't familiar with the Azores until my doctor recently told me he was going there for vacation this week. I happened to look it up and man what a beautiful country! Would love to visit someday.

8barlouie likes this.
  11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It really is a beautiful place. My island is called Pico. The main feature is an ancient volcano which rumbled and threatened eruption right before my parents decided to split with me in tow as a young toddler. The winter is very wet, with low temps averaging around 50F and summer temps hitting an average high of around 80 or so. It’s a very mild climate. One of my first memories as a child is the day we arrived at the airport in Boston in our new country. It was middle of January and the first thing I remember is the biting cold against my nose as we left the terminal to get in my uncle’s car for the ride home. I remember not liking it at all and after all these years, I still can’t stand the cold here in the northeast.

If you go, leave your stress at home. Everyone is laid back and welcoming and very eager to share their experiences. Food factors big. Especially seafood. Hope you like hydrangeas. They grow all over the place like weeds. By the way English is widely spoken.

RiverDog and Greggorios like this.
  12. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Very nice! Thanks for the quick response and pleasant recollections. :)

I lived most of my life in the NE, as well (Philly 'burbs), and I'm happier now in FL. I do not miss that cold!

8barlouie likes this.
  13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Canadian born and raised- now in USA but have lived in Chile, South Africa and Brazil.

Matt G likes this.
  14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Born in Japan (Navy brat, born in Camp Zama Army hospital 'cause the Navy hospital was too far away). Lived at many Naval Air Stations until Dad got out in San Diego. Xferred from San Diego to Alabama when I was 9. My Alabama friends say I never adopted the accent...but my California friends think I just fell off the cotton wagon.

Should be a SC resident by Dec.

electrichead likes this.
  15. electrichead

electrichead TDPRI Member

I was an Air force brat and we were stationed in Germany in 59 and living off base.My mother was unable to make it to the base hospital(landstuhl) so I was born in a civilian hospital and they refused to put me with the other German babies because I was an American.Next stop was Texas and then off to Italy for 2 years.By the time I entered 7th grade in Maryland I had been in 6 different schools.

My birth certificate is in German with an american translation attached to it.It resembles something like the Gestapo would have wanted to see back in the 40's.

Let me see your papers...

trapdoor2 likes this.
  16. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Born, raised and disillusioned in Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada.

Living in Ireland the last 26 years.

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in the same place but it now resembles Tatooine.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.