How many guitars to a gig

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Coach56, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Back when I was a working musician I never had enough money to own more then a couple of guitars. Now that I am a "grown up" I have more then a couple.

I have always enjoyed bands where the guitar and bass players change instruments to reflect the songs they are playing. That was probably taken a few steps too far by Rick Nielson when I saw Cheap Trick. At one point he walked out with at least 4 guitars on and just peeled them off as the song proceeded.

These days I could see bringing 2 acoustics, one 6 one 12, and at least two electrics again one 6 and one 12, but I could also see wanting some open tuned guitars for quick changes between songs

So my question to all of you, how many do you take to your shows?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Three for me.

Broken way too many strings onstage to not bring backups. I've actually broken strings on three different guitars on a gig before, but that's pretty rare, especially since I've switched to Fenders and I don't seem to break as many strings as I used to.

Nothing worse than changing a string onstage while everyone waits. I've done it, I'll never do it again. Time seems to stand still.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sometimes two but I never play the 2nd it's just a back up.

5. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Yup.

All you ever need is a Telecaster anyway ;)

I don't remember the last time I broke a string onstage...

Also, The Edge switches guitars every song or so... It's just a little too much, I think. I could see the need for specific sounds, ala position 2 or 4 on a Strat. Other than that, I like my sound. It sounds like me.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

at least two, so you don't have to change a string in the middle of a set

happens way too often to me, also

7. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

I plan the set, and bring the guitars+ necessary to play those songs. Can be one, can be three or four. One of them requires a matched pair of multi-f/x pedals, a mixer, a stereo enhancer and a matched pair of amps or else powered mixer PA. The planning includes logistics as well a stage direction for changing equipment, so nothing gets left behind and the change over goes smoothly. Planning is ths essential. And even when it's only one guitar, I do the same planning to keep in the habit and prevent mix ups and lossage. However, I always have a backup guitar. When playing with one or two, I'll bring an extra that can fill in. More than two, I can fill in with one of the others. Except the stereo guitar, so that one always rides with me, in plain sight, and nobody else handles it.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I haven't broken a string in years. I just don't break them anymore. I change em pretty frequently though.

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Usually 3

Eggle Strat (main), ES 345 semi and a backup - usually a dual humbucker set neck

10. HC

HC Tele-Holic

I used to bring a LP, a Strat and a Tele. Then it was down to two Teles, with and without a b-bender. Nowadays I only bring one Tele, got tired of lugging all the stuff around. Strings breaking is a non-issue for me. I can't remember the last time that happened.

11. rockabilly96

rockabilly96 Tele-Meister

Typically just two: my Tele and Country Gent. Now that I have my J45, it may be three... That sure sounds like a lot of work

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

most of the time the second one sits in the trailer with a pod2 just in case. Thus far never have needed it.

13. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

I use three usually. Nocaster is my main guitar, then esquire and la Cabronita for certain songs.

14. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I usually bring one or two guitars. I may bring an acoustic and a Telecaster, or two Telecasters. I seldom ever use the second Telecaster, but it is there as a backup.

If I am only doing one set, I usually only bring one guitar.

15. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I do believe this is how Clapton got the Slow Hand nickname

-H

16. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I keep things as simple as possible. One guitar, one amp, as few pedals as possible. When I'm playing a show I want to focus on working the crowd and rocking out without having to think about my gear. I'll bring another guitar for those rare times when I need to change to an alternate tuning or play slide, but I try to avoid those scenarios.

17. MerckTenpenny

MerckTenpenny Tele-Meister

I used to play for a singer/songwriter who would use an open tuning on a few songs. I brought 4 because of this.. 1 standard tuning, 1 standard backup, 1 open tuning, 1 open backup.

Funny thing is that most of the time I only played 1. The tele. When the open tuning songs would come up I'd find myself transposing to standard anyway

Then again, I'm the type who will pack a weeks' worth of clothes for a 2 day trip.

18. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

One. On the rare occasion i break a high E I go Keef and play 5 string. It's a challenge to not wig and just keep playing and singing. Builds character.

19. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Two. One in D and one in G. Used to to bring two lapsteels also.

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Just looked it up. You are correct:

[​IMG]

I always assumed it was because he isn't exactly the fastest player around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.