How many guitars is too many?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleblueman, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

As seen above, the answer is as individual as we are. I always thought 4 minimum for electrics: strat, tele, semi-hollow, LP, but I have purged my LP (actually a Yammy SG) about half a year ago, so for the first time in about 5 years, I am down to 3 electrics, but I now have 3 acoustics parlor, reso, beater. Plus, gotta have a bass, so my minimum is 6 + bass. I rotate almost daily with no case queens whatsoever. I do GAS for a P-90 equipped guitar, but I'm not sure why. That does support JL_LI's theory of n+1 is the answer and n+2 is too much. I kinda like that.

Rustbucket likes this.
  2. Ro_S

Ro_S Tele-Meister

Wives or guitars?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Rustbucket, lil scotty and gkterry like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Wait.. You only have *one* bass?

4. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Nitrogen + Hashtag = Sideways 8??

I knew I should have paid attention in math.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I have 3 electric guitars.

Pure trash all of them.

So 3 of these is just right.

I sure wouldn't want to have 6 or 9 or 12 like these :eek:

Oy...

t guitar floyd and Rustbucket like this.
  6. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

How can you know the perfect amount of guitars for anyone other than yourself? :)

I have more than 2, but less than ten. I rotate through them regularly, depending on my mood.

I need no justification to own more than 2 guitars, other than I like them. ;)

t guitar floyd likes this.
  7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

It makes us happy owning, playing and fixing guitars, I get it. There’s still cost involved with all the things, and it adds up with more and more instruments. All I’m saying is at a certain point the cost of owning and maintaining more guitars than you reasonably have time to play starts to outweigh the benefits of owning them.

Maintenance even if you do it yourself still costs you time. You could be spending that time playing instead or doing something else productive.

Space costs you money even if you have plenty of it. Have an entire room dedicated to guitars? I do. It costs money to heat & cool that space. I pay mortgage and property taxes on that space also.

Everyone values time and money differently. Maybe you have more time and money at your discretion than I do. That’s cool too. ;)

3fngrs likes this.
  8. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When you can't find a place in your home to sleep due to guitar storage requirements, you have just passed the limit.

9. Ro_S

Ro_S Tele-Meister

Single coil pickups helps save on having to change strings on ones multiple guitars so often.

10. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

"Justification?"

Fun. ;)

I'm in several bands, but none are very commercially-oriented ones (2 play original rock, one punk and one experimental/performance, the third plays traditional Celtic acoustic), so I don't gig every week or necessarily even every month. I may get back into a church gig where I play weekly, but am currently in between those type bands.

But I do have at least one or 2 (sometimes 3) weekly rehearsals, and yes I do consciously rotate through guitars.

Like I said, it's fun. Don't need any further justification than that. (I've been playing for at least 45 years, and over the last 20 or 25, the numbers have started upping slowly.)

[​IMG]

"Too many" is when they won't fit in your house anymore, or when buying them is financially damaging. I'm almost to the former, but a lot of my guitars were very affordable, so not the latter.

Mike SS and ZenGuitarist like this.
  11. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

You do bring up a good point about maintenance cutting into practice time. I keep getting tempted to put together a partscaster or maybe build a guitar. Then I think about how much time that would be that could be devoted to much needed practice. Not to mention the fact that I don't need anymore guitars (well, other then the currently planned purchases).

As far as space, it's there and has to be heated and cooled anyway.

12. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

My current stable has three electrics and an acoustic. In an ideal world, I'd add one more acoustic, one more electric, and sell one of my current electrics

The stable is as follows:

Greg German Custom Full Hollow Tele (shown in my avatar): This is my main instrument; I play it 99 percent of the time
    Fender 50th anniversary edition Tele: this is my backup stage guitar, in case anything ever goes wrong with my baby or I break a string mid-set
    Tele copy: My very first guitar, bought at Sam Ash in White Plains, New York. Says Vintage on the headstock. Bought it cause it looked like Clapton's "Blackie."
    Martin 00-16C: my only current acoustic, a thinner body nice sounding Martin.

Now, I said I'd like two more. One would be an acoustic, a Santa Cruz OM/PW. I used to have one and sold it when I was divorcing my ex-husband. That guitar was beautiful sounding. I'd love to have one for acoustic stuff.

The other guitar would be a second version of my main guitar that could be a backup for live performances. If I ever (when I ever) get Greg to build me a second version of my current instrument, I'd sell my Fender 50th. I think instruments should be played, and there's no reason to have a ton of guitars.

The Vintage Tele I won't get rid of for sentimental reasons. It's not a great guitar, even though I did upgrade the pickups, switches, and had some neck work done to make it more playable. I spent more in upgrades than I did on the original guitar. However, it was my first, so I'll hold onto it. I probably couldn't sell it for more than $50 anyway, but I don't want to.

13. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Actually, I don't have any basses. That's on my list of "soon to be acquired". Just a cheapish one to goof around on.

14. Ro_S

Ro_S Tele-Meister

One needs permutations of:
    • solid and hollow bodied;
    • various sorts of pickup types;
    • tremolo bar and fixed bridge; and
    • alternative tunings.

More guitars save on fret wear. Too few guitars is a false economy.

teletimetx likes this.
  15. Ro_S

Ro_S Tele-Meister

@Brian Krashpad - Is that a Danelectro Hodad I spot? How do you find it?

16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Whatever my current # is (now 23) times 3 plus n.

17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

... just one more ;)

18. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Tele-Meister

I keep one "Superior" example of each guitar that is important enough for me to play regularly. Nothing stays just because it looks, or sounds, cool. If I don't have the urge to spend, at least, a few days playing/creating and learning on it, in a six month period, then it's on the ropes. Same with amps. The one exception is the acoustic, which I only have a real urge to play a couple times a year. But then, I only have the one, and it's a 3-400 dollar model.

19. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Too many? I don't think that number has ever been determined. Maybe if you're not a professional, touring musician and you need to rent space outside your home to store gear, you have too many. Of course, the professional, touring musician gets a pass because after all, they are the tools of his/her trade.

There are people who spend tremendous amounts of money to enjoy a fine painting hanging on a wall which they can only stand back and admire. Those who make music can have a visually appealing piece of art that they can also actually play and interact with. Unless your guitar habit is taking food out of your family's mouth, if you still enjoy building, buying, and trading guitars, why limit yourself. Life is short, buy the guitar.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's also one aspect which hasn't been discussed:
    If someone has say 10 guitars and only sold a couple, he'll have spent a lot less money than the guy who has owned 50 guitars but only 2 or 3 at a time (given the guitars cost about the same).

Pickin N Grinin and 3fngrs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.