How many guitars have you given away to friends?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RottenTheCat, Jan 19, 2020.

1. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

I gave a modded Squier '51 to our real estate agent at the closing on our home to show my wife's and my appreciation for his patient efforts. As a jazz guitarist, he got all teary-eyed.

Mission accomplished. :)

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Over the decades of my “guitar life” I have been gifted with several wonderful guitars, and amps, too.
    I understand the good feeling of it.
    I practice catch and release with guitars (not so much with amps).
    Anyways, I think guitars are (sort of) waiting for their right owner/operator.
    I have a few touchstone instruments that I keep, about a half dozen.
    The rest come and go.
    I’m not a collector, and I’m generally not too acquisitive.

3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had a Jazzmaster style, custom-made - an Eric C. Brown - and later gave it to a buddy who always lets us jam and practice in his garage. It's the "house guitar" for anyone in need.

Also have a lower-end Yamaha electric - SE-350 probably from the 80's - that I plan to give to the local elementary school.

4. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Over the years I've given my brother a lap steel with benders that I made, and a rebuilt '68 Carvin 335-style 12-string. Also made him a 4-pickup solidbody but he supplied the body & neck & paid me for the parts. When a friend of mine came home after a long absence I gave him this axe I made 'cause we'd been talking about Mosrites:
    [​IMG]

Got a bass playing friend who subs with us from time to time and also works in a Beatles tribute band so I got another friend who'd had this bass sitting in his garage for the last 10 years or so give it to me:
    [​IMG]

...fixed it up & gave it to him. He looks pretty pleased:

[​IMG]
    ...dunno if this counts but I've got a niece who's just starting out on guitar and wanted one like I play so I made this one for her, only charged for the parts:

[​IMG]

5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

on the reverse end of things, my '66 Firebird was given to me by my sister's best friend, whose late husband had quite the collection of vintage guits.

6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Bought one for my BFF to try to motivate him to play. He already had an LP. Didn't help. It only gets played when I convince him to come by for a jam. He says he'll play more this year. We'll see. Not worried about him selling it. He won't.

Old Plank likes this.
  7. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Several of you have given away more guitars than I have owned in total in more than 50 years of playing.

8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Interesting subject. I've lent gear to people for years (and been entrusted with other people's gear for years) with the understanding that it's not a gift, and that someday the owner will need it back, but who knows when, if ever. I have an electric bass that a co-worker lent to me in the 90s just before he got married and moved to D.C. I never heard from him again, but it is still his bass.

I once lent a nice acoustic to a friend who kept it for years and then separated from his wife and moved out of the house but left most of his stuff, including my guitar, in the house. I had to go to the house and ask the wife for my guitar back. She was angry as hell and talked my ear off for a half hour about what a jerk he was.

Is there anything else like that? Would your neighbor ever say, "You can borrow my chain saw and don't even think about returning it until I come calling for it in 15 years."

Another musician-thing?

black_doug likes this.
  9. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Let's see---
    '66 Mustang to my son
    Burns baritone to a talented youngster
    Carvin tele to a friend
    very nice handmade acoustic to a friend
    Yamaha classical electric to a friend
    Green Saturn violin shaped guitar to a friend
    Strat copy to a neighbor kid
    100 year old classical to a friend
    '63 Gibson Hummingbird to a friend
    ukelele to a friend
    Maton jazz guitar to a friend

all I can remember...

and I've been on the receiving end as well.

10. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Two. Nothing valuable, but the people I gave them to were beginners who appreciated them. A Squier strat and an Agile 2000.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.