How many guitars have you given away to friends?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RottenTheCat, Jan 19, 2020.

1. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

bad karma to tell

Steve Holt likes this.
  2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

In the last 3 years, Alvarez #5019 Midnight Special acoustic- no case, and Squier COB Bullet Strat that was in actual mint condition with Fender Deluxe gig bag.

Both went to the same teenage kid.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

Haha! Nice to know that I’m not the only kook who gives away the ones that never get played anymore!

let’s see...
    Friend D - Eastwood baritone and National lap Steel and a Pro Jr as a birthday present.
    Friend J - Hagstrom electric, Ibanez tenor acoustic guitar and a Bugera 5 tube amp.

A couple others here and there too over the years.

Then there’s the Rickenbacker 1949 ns sold to Friend M for $100 and
    The Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P tenor sold to Friend P for $100

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Cort 12 string and donated it to the local high school here because they had one just like it but it was in pretty rough shape. So I traded the new one for the old one to work on my skills fixing guitars (ruined it)

A couple years ago I picked up a Squier affinity Strat in a Buffalo wild wings parking lot. Ended up giving it to one of my students for an 8th grade graduation present.

Recently I built a Strat and gave it to one of my best friends as sort of a divorce present. That was a great guitar. I brought it to his house to show him and he was pretty impressed by it, but not all that interested, as he's not really a guitar player (yet). It was kind of a reaction like "well this is really cool, but I don't know anything about it. Then I told him it was his and he didn't put it down the rest of the night. Now he's playing guitar every day, so looks like I made a new one of us!

My nephew is 8, someday I'd like to give him one, and then hopefully I'll have kids someday and fingers crossed that they have an interest in playing too. I'll make it worth their while.

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

One guitar to two friends. I asked for it back after about fifteen years because I knew the first guy wasn’t playing it at all, and now another friend has had it for about eight years. It’s a flattop.

Steve Holt likes this.
  6. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

Four at the moment.

7. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I've only owned 6 guitars in my life. I sold 2 of them. One the bridge completely busted off. I still have the Guild and always will even if I don't play it much anymore. I still have my cheap classical, which is all I currently play.

Which leaves one more. It was a 70's Epiphone FT-130SB. Picked it up in Nashville for $12 off a dude. Gave it to my brother in law to use when he had nothing because I felt bad. He was supposed to eventually get him one and I was going to get it back. He let my nephews tear it up. And he helped too.

One day I was at his house and him and my sister was arguing. The guitar was still playable at this point, though in rough shape. He got mad and threw his phone so hard across the room it hit the side of the guitar and busted a big hole in it. This pretty much did it in. I just didn't say anything. But he didn't even appreciate that I let him use it as long as he needed. Never got a sorry, or an offer to give me some money, or help get me another guitar. They just acted like F-him, he means nothing. It wasn't the first time him and my sister did me this way. To this day I have never said anything about it, really.

I think this is the 3rd time I have mentioned this story here in a few weeks haha. Went 2 years and never did but then all these threads popped up where the story was relevant. :D

I still need to post the one and only picture of me playing it in Nashville though. It was a great fast playing guitar. At the time I let him use it I had the epiphone, my Guild, and the classical. I don't know what I was thinking letting him use it, especially when I only had 3 and all 3 had were unique. I had a great connection with that instrument. I guess I assumed it wpuld be ok and I'd get it back or another little guitar would come along.

8. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Not given any away but 2 are out on open ended loans. The singer in my band mostly plays acoustic rhythm guitar and has a very nice D-35 but needed an electric for some songs so he's had my Strat for the last 8 years. Also my best mate started learning some years ago and struggled with the heavier gauge strings on an acoustic. His tutor suggested he might try an electric so I lent him my PRS EG4. He gets on ok with it and if I never see it again I won't miss it. (The case was nice though)

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Ditto for other gear. Not worth all that much, worth more as a nice user item.... Let the friends have it. No fambly so.... Cant really do that route.

11. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I've given away about 4 electrics and 2 acoustics to young guitarists in my church in the last 3-4 yrs.

I figured they were upgrades and it would help them become better musicians.

black_doug likes this.
  12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Just one. A “lawsuit” Takamine to a prog rock heavy metal “kid”. He’s 30 now but has been gigging with it since 2013.

13. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Zero! I’m left handed, so people don’t even ask if they can play my guitars (sometimes they’ll flip them over and mess with them or try to play left handed). I help with our youth worship team and I’d love to donate a guitar to those kids who want to learn, but lefty people are 1/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister

I gave a Strat I wasn’t using to my brother.

I had a Epi Dot 335 Studio and I knocked it over snapping the headstock. Glued it up and it was solid. Still not much play.

A lady at my school asked me for recommendation for something around $50 for her son who was on fire with guitar. I just gave her the Epiphone.

Gave an amp and some pedals to one of those girls rock organizations.

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've given a few pedals, old guitar necks, assorted cables to friends, but I've never given away a guitar or an amp.

16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I gave a Les Paul Custom to my brother. I also gave a 70s Fender Mustang to a friend - we had traded for it looong ago, but his mother had bought it for him, and I wasn’t playing it anymore.
    I also gave an off brand junk acoustic arch top (that was only good for slide) to a friend.

Some of you guys are mighty generous!

17. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I gave a Partscaster Tele to a friend and a Yamaha PAC112M to my g/f's son.

18. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Go Jim Dandy Go!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Four.

To various friends'.

20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Does loaning a guitar to a friend who never returned it count?

Actually I've given away quite a few guitars, mostly to charity events, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.