How many guitars have you given away to friends?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RottenTheCat, Jan 19, 2020.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

IMG-2340.JPG IMG-2342.JPG In November 2018 I gave my friend Joe my custom made Boat Paddle ML Tenor ukulele. Its made of Beeswing Mahogany and plays and sounds great. Joe actually drove four hours with me from Kansas City to the St. Louis area to pick up the ukulele in 2013.

Five years later it was sitting unplayed in the closet and I invited him to visit me in Seattle to pick it up. He was here two weeks later. I knew he would play that uke everyday and love it.

My wife and daughter were mad at me for giving it away because they both wanted it eventually. However, neither even play ukulele so it absolutely went to the right person.

I have given away four other ukes to friends but nothing as high-end as the Boat Paddle.

If my daughter’s boyfriend lasts a couple of years he may get my Jazzmaster.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I gave a 2005 Gretsch Nashville G6120 to a friend.

Donated a heavily modded 1999 Strat and an Epi Joe Pass to yard sales to benefit the local Arts Commission and wrote them off on taxes for what I had in them since they were considered tax deductible contributions.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

3 or 4.....

4. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I gave a very nice parts Tele to a friend I play with in a bluesy band and gave another one to the guy that does guitar work for me. That one wasn't all that great, but I also gave him a SF Pro Reverb. I know the OP just said "friends", but I gave my son a MIM Jazz bass, a Warmoth parts Strat, a Roland Fantom X6 keyboard, a Casio electric piano and a Mustang III amp.

Going the other direction a friend down in Texas gave me a Baja 50s Tele as a congratulations for surviving cancer treatments (and because he didn't really like the neck anyway). I then got a Player Series Tele from his family after he passed away 15 months later.

5. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

2 cheap acoustics to the same cousin

6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Three or four. Most recent one was November. I don't give away guitars I may want back. If I don't bond with them, I give them second chance. If I haven't touched it in years, it deserves to be played by someone.

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A very nice Ovation to a young coworker and a really nice Japanese Strat copy that I had since the late 80’s to my Grand Daughter.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've given away a car, but never a guitar.

9. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

none ..I dont buy junk to start with

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Someone gave away my Peavy 300W bass head on my behalf when they forgot to put it back in the locked band storage area :rolleyes:

11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I've only given five to friends, but more than a dozen to kids and some to adults who can't afford a guitar.

12. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I still have my Nagoya N-28: it was my first guitar. Now it’s in my work locker, gets played often still.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Over the years, five.
    :)

14. Tek1

Tek1 TDPRI Member

Two both right handed, and one amp. This thread must have goten to me. Just donated two more amps to a womens shelter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I miss mine, my first guitar too and I thought it looked so tasty too. A great friend, as a kid in love with guitar

It ' bellied up' in mid '80's so I ended up moving onto something else, later giving N-28 to an employee.

16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

man, I wonder how it feels to receive a guitar, even if it's just a cheap one, but decent..

ive given away money, home items, shoes, pants, etc etc,, but never rich enough to give a guitar just yet..

17. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I've given away three electrics and one acoustic to friends or relatives. When I note that one or more members of my stable are no longer being fairly utilized I start looking for a new home for them. It's not so much about the friend or relative as it is about the instrument. Instruments deserve to be played. If I'm not coming through for them they should be allowed to find someone whose hands will bring their voice to life.

NewKid likes this.
  18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

An acoustic, four Teles and two Strats. Three amps as well.

19. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sadly, none. I'm not dead yet. But that'll change and then won't they be happy!

Yea!!!!

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

At least three that I can remember.

I'm getting an Epi LP Special II parts guitar ready for a friend right now. He just got a cool Roland amp and he's only got an acoustic/electric. He doesn't know it's coming.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.