How many guitars do you really need?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tele60x, Apr 10, 2011.

How many guitars do you need?

1. Just give me old faithful. (1-2)

83 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. A few that I can get different sounds with. (3-6)

182 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. I have a lot but need to clean out... (7-15+)

59 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. I have a lot but want even more... (7-15+)

111 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Did my wife tell you to ask this?

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  2. hayseedtele

hayseedtele Tele-Meister

If I had my way:
    A couple Teles, a beat up Les Paul, a nice Les Paul, an SG, a 335, and a Martin HD38

One for each day of the week.

3. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Fantastic spread! We have a similar array!

4. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Exactly!

5. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

About as many as Tom Petty and Mike Campbell have should do the trick. Same goes for their amps.

CC

6. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Who knows?

I don`t know how many i need. I have 25 now and 3 more will be acquired in 3 coming months.:cool::twisted:
    Oh, i admit 5 of 25 are basses. There is more basses coming too in fall.:D

7. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

-Of whole month. Whole year next?:twisted::D:lol::rolleyes::oops::twisted:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  8. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

This is a wonderful and very personal topic. The amount of guitars I need may be significantly different than another guitar player so please keep in mind this is just MY OWN list. I am in my 50's now, which is a big factor. I just don't play out or play gigs like I once did. So, at one point I owned upwards of (24) guitars all of which were pretty high end which I gathered over time and each one had a great justification for me to make the purchase. What I have found is buying a new guitar creates excitement for me and a few weeks of that happy "yeah, I got a new guitar" feeling. To make a long story short I sold off and made some trades to reach my current level of (3) electric guitars. I own a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst, a 2005 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster in Tungsten with a Rosewood Fretboard, and a 2018 Fender "Limited Edition" American Special Telecaster in Autumn Blaze Metallic with Maple Neck. Having one LP, one Strat, and one Tele seems to be all I need. I even think I could do without the Tele. Here's the thing. My LP has the (4) push pull knobs and my Strat has "Samarian Cobalt" pickup's with the Fender S-1 switch. Both of these guitars are capable of achieving a lot of different tones so that is something I believe is important to consider. So given the fact that I can achieve a plethora of tones from just (2) guitars it would have to be those two.

9. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

I have between 25 and 30 guitars, they all are Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters. I got rid of all the other brands because personally, I never could get comfortable with their sound(s). I learned that if you are a single-coil-pickup player... there is only one brand that fits the bill... everything else " tries to sound like a Strat or a Tele"..everything. So why own them? This took me 20 years but I finally got there.
    I also owned the original originals, yep the 50's Strat and Teles and while is is great to have that heritage, I also found out that some of those are just about average. I had 2 exceptional Strats . A 1958 all original Fiesta Red Strat and a 1961 slab rosewood / sunburst and I regret to have sold those.
    So I have some collectibles like, a 1994 Fender PlayBoy Strat, 1982 AVRI Strat, 1982 Bowling Ball strat, 40 year Tele custom , Set neck Tele and Strat from the 80's, 1982 THE STRAT.
    But I have some player guitars that were made in the 1990's. Then I stopped buying until some 10 years ago when the current Custom Shop crop became a truly better guitar. So I have some CS Strats and Teles with NOS to Heavy relic'ed appearance with fat 50's style necks mainly '54 and '56 style with a selection of Custom Shop hand wound pickups by Abbigail Ybara and Josephine Campos.
    Much say that i mostly play these cs instruments. They are just unbelievable... not cheap... but inexpensive for what you get.
    Is there space for more... yep. There always will be some more room somewhere.

10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I say, "Love the one you're with."

I'm not tossing out any numbers, because I am in my inner most core a Stratocaster nut, and I've gotten tired of pulling pickguards and being in a constant round robin of setups required to altered (different strings, etc) Stratocasters.

I feel blessed to have what I have but I do want another Baritone, a Fender Precision Bass, a Taylor 12 string, and lastly but not least a really nice cutaway acoustic (I'm talking the kind you could pawn and buy a new car with the money).

Don't much follow anyone else's way of cutting the pie. (never have)

11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

one more...

blowtorch likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure it's been said, but

"just ONE more...":)

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had something like 25 guitars but have sold a bunch off over the past year. I like having 2 or 3 acoustics, a les paul, a strat and a few tele's. I could probably get by with one acoustic and two tele's. I end up playing one acoustic and one tele the majority of the time anyway.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I need zero, but that's not how many I want to have.

15. magicfingers99

a guitarist without a guitar is not a guitarist...
    like a note without a score
    the music plays no more..

16. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Wow, zombie thread last posted in 2012-- REVIVED!

It's not really about need, izzit?

[​IMG]

I don't think so, anyhow. ;)

radiocaster and brookdalebill like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve been creeping up!
    I now have 11 guitars, and 3 basses.
    It’s been fun.
    I guess I only need 1 acoustic, 1 bass, and 2 electrics.
    The others would be hard to justify, but lucky for me, I got no one I need to placate.
    Bwa ha ha!

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  18. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I could only have one, I could get by with a nice acoustic-electric. This would cover me for rhythm guitar and vocal duties. Currently I have said acoustic-electric, two Teles (with different pick-ups), and two basses. Since I am not currently gigging I have more than enough to cover my needs.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do I care? I could play synth, even if I started guitar earlier.

20. magicfingers99

a guitarist without a guitar is not a guitarist...
    like a note without a score
    the music plays no more..
    you should probably go back to the synth board. a synth is not a guitar
    you don't seem to understand guitar. maybe when you are older or the electricity goes off for a couple years the magic of an acoustic guitar might trickle into your soul...

six wires beats a signal generator and some oscillators pretty much every time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.