How many guitars before joining TDPRI vs. After?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by awasson, May 1, 2019.

1. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Before TDPRI one electric, one acoustic, joined here to build my first tele, now I have ten electric and one acoustic.

awasson likes this.
  2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

According to the advert the guy got it as part of a purchase. It’s a Les Paul Studio that’s been repainted, leaving the maple stripped on the sides for a faux binding look. It was wired for EMG’s but he moved those to something else. I’m kind of glad it’s too far away. Some day I’d like a gold top Les Paul.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Pre TPDRI it was 8, now it's 12 and it's all your fault!

awasson likes this.
  4. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Started with one. Was up to two, but been with one again for close to ten years. So one and one.

awasson likes this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I finally got some free time and did some home recording on the weekend and it got me thinking about downsizing my small collection of guitars.

On Saturday I mostly played my 81 Ibanez Artist solid body then later I pulled out its sibling, my 81 Artist semi-hollow body (Equipped with SD Phat Cat humbucker sized P90’s). Then on Sunday I pulled out my Strat (the Eric Johnson one) and I redid the tracks from Saturday. The Strat was definitely better suited for what I was playing and the Ibanez semi-hollow body was a close second. I really find the Strat is a comfortable guitar to play.

This got me thinking... I could get away with having a much smaller group of guitars. Keep the Ibanez Semi-hollow body, keep the Eric Johnson Strat, keep the DIY Telecaster type guitar, keep the Jazz Bass. The others are definitely nice to look at and strum from time to time but in terms of guitars I play, these are the top 4.

It’ll probably never happen but it was something that went through my mind. Then again, even if I did such a drastic reduction, I’d still have more guitars than before TDPRI.

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Started here with more guitars than I have any right to own or play and have slowly divested myself of some. Perhaps I've learned a bit about proper selection and self-control? Naw.

7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I had a gap between 2012 - 2017 of no guitars and was playing mandolin and ukulele after 30 years of guitar.

I rejoined here in July 2017 after getting my American Special Tele. Before that Tele I bought my dream acoustic (Froggy Bottom Parlor) but wanted to play notes beyond the 12th fret so I went back to the Tele.

Then in December of 2018 I bought two more back-to-back (50’s Road Worn Tele and Classic Player Jazzmaster) and they are gestating in the closet waiting for the right time to come out - I’m thinking this July.

8. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think I joined in May, 1997, or maybe 1998. It was just about a week after Paul took over from Noam. At the time, I owned a 1961 Martin and a Tex-Mex Strat. I wanted a Tele, and found this forum while searching online. I now own a dozen guitars and have bought and sold at least a dozen over 20 plus years. And I don't play any better now than I did way back then.

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

With buying and selling, I am +2.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.