How many guitars before joining TDPRI vs. After?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by awasson, May 1, 2019.

1. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

27 yrs and counting, and I have 12 Electric's 3 Acoustics and 11 Tube amps in there. :)

awasson and Shuster like this.
  2. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

...same

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

2008 I bought my first Tele, 2011 I joined here, 2015 I went AWOL from here (long story), later in 2015 I got a customized 3-pickup Tele my buddy had modded and it was sweet but I wasn’t bonding with it, 2016 I traded it for a G&L ASAT Classic Custom shop in orange transparent (WOWZA WHAT A GUITAR!!!), 2018 I bought a fully custom built T-style from a good friend of mine who’s built them for years, Earl Knapp, and now I’m back here as of yesterday.
    So I guess I would say that since joining here I have more Tele style guitars, and they are definitely keepers.
    Though before I joined here and since I have traded around a few other types of guitars that aren’t keepers for me (L.P.’s etc.).
    Also I have bought 3 custom hand made acoustic guitars from my dear friend and builder Bob Thompson and his son Larry (Bob Thompson guitars) that are “life goal”/“Legacy” grade guitars.
    And to scratch another itch for a hollow body electric jazz box I bought a D’Angelico that is very sweet.
    That brings my total to 7 personal guitars currently, (I also plan on building myself a partscaster all by myself just to say I did), and 1 decent mandolin, which is ironic because I consider mandolin my main instrument because I can pick up things on it much easier than guitar.
    (“What do I do with all these strings?! It’s so hard!”)
    Soon I’ll have my “life goal”/“legacy grade” world class mandolin from another dear friend and builder of the world’s finest mandolins, Mr. Jonathan McClanahan (McClanahan Mandolins).
    I guess I’ve just gone full bore to gain better instruments the last few years.
    I allow for the possibility that I will not physically be able to work like I currently do at some point in the future (too many miles on my years), and would like to do more with my music if that time comes and I have to slow down, so while I can I’m trying to set myself up with the best possible tools I can gain.

awasson and Ducerro like this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

A precise number analysis may not be available. I had to check the member info - officially, I joined TDPRI in 2011, but I wasn't active at all until maybe 2014? Yeah, I was a member, but I didn't visit much except for information retrieval. However, after my frontal lobotomy, my post count went way up...

Even so at 2011, I had 8 guitars (4E, 4A), 1 mandolin and 2 banjo received as gifts (quality of mercy is not strained, the gentle rain of banjos?...). A couple people found out I could play some clawhammer and before I know it, another banjo finds a home.

Since that time, 16 guitars have come into custody, but also 9 have left, so 7 net guitars - less acquired during TDPRI than prior.
    However, the telecaster population % significantly increased; from 10% to basically 40%...

Have also recently sold/traded 3 amps, which exactly balances the number acquired during TDPRI.

The largest change has been effects pedals. Had only 2 pre-TDPRI, I now have 12, but only use 5 actively on my small pedalboard, including tuner. Half of the pedals are various forms of overdrive, you know, to match up with the different amps, see?

I plan to continue decreasing the inventory, but upgrading the quality. At least that's my story at the moment.

TwangBilly and awasson like this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

:confused:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    teletimetx likes this.
  6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Before guitars over 20

Now 6 (all killer!)

1 Fender Am Std Jazz Bass

All the vintage amp iron (mostly Blackface)gone

Headrush pedalboard, Vox AC15, peavey redstripe Envoy. Peavey practice bass amp

A few classic Boss Pedals

Tdpri made me come to a better quiver place!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    teletimetx and awasson like this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I would not own my 2 bajas if I hadn't joined the site

Bought maybe 6 or 7 guitars since joining but sold more than I bought. Could face selling more but not desperate

Where I splurged is amplifiers. Really need to thin those down. Could do with selling 5 or 6

awasson likes this.
  8. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

When I joined all I had was a Squier acoustic and plans for building a Thinline Tele kit.

Just over a year later I have the acoustic, the Thinline, a Teisco Tele, a hand made Jazzmaster, hand made electric 12 string, kit LP, my handmade Beechcaster and two more bodies waiting construction.

Also somehow found time to build an electric baritone ukulele for a friend and a
    Thinline Tele for a mental health charity.

Can you tell I love building?

IMG_20180318_191557_725.jpg zcamera-20180505_132636.jpg IMG_20181010_025750.jpg IMG_20190502_220852.jpg IMG_20190502_221207.jpg IMG_20190502_220640.jpg IMG_20181217_025927.jpg
    IMG_20190123_010625.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    awasson, Tobias, Shuster and 5 others like this.
  9. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Will be +2 since coming back to the site regularly not long ago. I started coming back just in time to notice the purple road worn. :)

I have an incoming Gibson, but I think it's being delivered by one of the original Pony Express horses.

Then it's time for "the purge".

awasson likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Let me think. When I moved to Colorado I had my Epi Riviera, '52 Tele RI, two acoustics, a Dobro, Rickenbacker lap steel a Hagstrom bass and a partscaster-Strat. Not long after I discovered the TDPRI.

Then I got a partscaster hardtail Strat at the pawn shop, went through two Les Paul's before finding the present one. got a Gretsch 6120-60, another acoustic (Taylor 812C), sold the Dobro and Rick lap steel and got a National New Yorker lap steel, built an Esquire partscaster, a Rickenbacker 360-12, a G&L Tribute ASAT Carvetop, a MIM Strat and a couple of cheap acoustics. I also got a National Console Grand D-8 steel guitar. Then there are two mandolins, a tenor banjo and another bass.

I think that's it more or less.

awasson likes this.
  11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, the overall number may have increased. Five of them are Telecaster shaped.

Cheers,
    Geoff

awasson likes this.
  12. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

When I joined in 2009 I had 2 guitars & 1 bass. I still have the same 2 guitars & bass, nothing else. If we talk pedals, that's a whole different story.

awasson likes this.
  13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think I had five and right now I have seven. I think six is about the right amount but I like what I have. Right now I have three amps. I traded one I should have kept.

awasson likes this.
  14. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

See, this is how it starts... I see something shiny that catches my eye and start coming up with reasons why I should buy it, like “well, I have 3 sets of humbuckers that need a home” or “someone really needs to take that project on.

I just saw this. Fortunately it’s a good hour away by car. I may have to go for a drive this weekend.

796E743C-8672-485B-B1D8-BAE161D2F287.jpeg

telemnemonics and hrstrat57 like this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I had one amp , one acoustic, and three electrics when I came here, I now have five amps, four teles, two strats, a PRS SE, EPIPHONE LP, And a Gibson LP jr, and two acoustics and a mini strat.
    I did previously have several other guitars and amps so I don’t know that tdpri had anything to do with what I have now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

awasson likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have added one, and I built it. But, like a previous post from another player,, am getting more out of my instruments instead of instrument dealers getting more of my dollars.

awasson likes this.
  17. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

"Hey, I'm enjoying my one guitar.. I should join a forum..."

[​IMG]

Today. On Reverb.com, jamming on F5

awasson likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've actually gotten some mileage out of avoiding that target price range entirely.

It seems like there are tons of good guitars around $400 new retail, but buyers of those guitars seem to need more and more and more and more of them.

My guess is that while the CVC's and Epi's are perfectly serviceable instruments, they leave buyers with a desire to get one that's just a little better, or maybe a craving for just one more.

So if the $400 guitar of today turns buyers into crack addicts, constantly jonesing for the next hit, I'm going elsewhere for my dope.

I can try them out at GC and I've even bought a pretty nive Epi 335 scratch & dent, plus came really close to buying a JM Squier Jazzmaster, but I'm purposefully abstaining from the range lest I get hooked.

If I'm getting another guitar it needs to do stuff my guitars lack and it needs to do that better. Keeping the bar a little higher seems to effectively prevent me from impulse buying great deals, and instead any new guitar is one that will not let my eyes stray to the internet for one that's a little better.

I suppose this is like going to a stomp box thread and stating that stomp boxes are for sissies?
    Just saying there is life (before, during, and) after GAS!

TwangBilly likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is that one of those real Gibson husks Stratosphere sells?
    Somebody bought it and never put it back together?
    Looks good from here!

20. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

2, then 30

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.