How many guitars before joining TDPRI vs. After?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by awasson, May 1, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I went from 8 to 53.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Taking the 5th, bros.

I’ve actually got a pretty strong sell/pay rule. I don’t buy anything unless I can sell enough stuff to get to about 80% of the price. I’ve maybe been through 12-15 guitars since I joined. When I joined I had one electric and one acoustic. Now I have three electrics and two acoustics.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bought 1

Built 1

Your not the boss of me!

4. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

Okay, well, technically I just joined a few weeks ago, so... no difference. I've been lurking here and posting on TGP since 2008, though. In 2008 I had four electrics and one acoustic. Now I have seven electrics and one acoustic. I don't like having a lot of different guitars (at one point I had ~15). Ideally I'd have only one or two, but I regularly play different types of music and need a few guitars ready to go (and well set-up) in multiple different tunings.

Piggy Stu and awasson like this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing for a little over 60 years, and had a pretty nice collection before the internet was created. Since my join date, 2007, I've probably added another 20. But none of the guitar forums has had that much of an impact on my collection. What I have accumulated is the information that I've gathered from like-afflicted souls. That would be difficult to measure.

t guitar floyd and awasson like this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

built a dozen or so and bought none....:)

John Nicholas, Skamania and awasson like this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I joined here I had 4 guitars and I'd never heard of GAS. Now I have 9 keepers, and probably 15 more guitars have passed through my hands in the interim. My GAS has been in remission lately, but I know better than to think it's gone. . . .

awasson likes this.
  8. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That was exactly what I thought... I knew it wasn’t just me. Although, unlike you, I’ve only added 2 Gibson scale guitars to my collection and added 4 Fenders or Fender types; 5 if you include the JBass; 7 if you include the other two I’m building.

I should have asked about pedals and amps too. I’ve got two more amps (one I built) and about 25 more pedals, of which I’ve probably built 20 of them. Oh and a DIY pedal board. ...And DAW software, plugins and hardware.

The thing is, I only joined because I was watching @preeb build those replica 59 Les Paul’s... Then after a few hundred pages of reading, I thought that if he could build those works of art, I could certainly assemble a half decent Telecaster. Then after that became the only guitar I wanted to play, I thought I should give Strats a chance and well, you know what happens.

I’ve got good self control about my guitar spending habits (or so I tell myself) but I can see how things can really get out of hand.

9. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When I joined, I had just picked up the guitar again after about 5 years off from playing. Prior to that I had been playing in bands since high school that were a ton of fun but we were just another unknown band.

Shortly after I joined TDPRI, I decided I was really going to get serious this time. I didn’t have specific reason other than I’ve had guitars since I was 11 years old and it was about time I could actually play like I had had guitars for that long. I think a lot of the side discussions in the Bad Dog and in the technique forums really helped keep my mind on it because I’m twice or three times the Player I ever was before I joined TDPRI. I agree, there’s such a huge amount of knowledge and if you ask a question, people line up to help you out.

t guitar floyd and Skamania like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

5 guitars :
    1) Epiphone firebird
    2) Yamaha AFX acoustic
    3) Godin multiac Nylon string
    4) chibson les paul tree of life ultima
    5) lefty tele afinity
    3 were gifts
    but I squeeked by with no tele until last year

awasson likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I actually have less, though I bought a new Tele about six months ago. My acoustics and a few less loved electrics found new homes with my kids and grandkids.

awasson likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

From 1973 to the year 2000, I usually had just one guitar at a time. From 1983 to the year 2000, it was this one, my Japanese vintage Hohner G-940 acoustic.
    11-02-2002 - Me playing at John & Jane Wilson's.jpg

In the year 2000, I added this one, a Crafter FX570EQ (acoustic/electric, fiberglass shallow bowl back).
    Crafter FX570.JPG

So that was Before. For 8 more years, that was it: just these two guitars. Then, in May of 2008, I joined TDPRI, in anticipation of buying my first electric guitar, my first tele. So After in July of 2008 looked like this...
    Family and Guitars 2008 018.JPG

And Today, eleven years later, I have a dozen. My latest group/couch shot, taken at the start of this year, numbered eleven guitars.
    01-04-2019 - Couch shot of my collection (2).jpeg

But I've acquired another acoustic since then, a Hohner HG-905.
    04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 2.jpg

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

For years and before I joined TDPRI I had 5 guitars to cover all bases including one I bought as a teenager...and no money to invest in any new kit.

When my finances were much better I joined TDPRI as I was starting to mod guitars and buy.

What TDPRI really did was to influence me to make my own Teles and Strats and I've made loads. That wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been on these pages.

14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Many more over the years. But correlation isn’t a cause. I had two plus acoustic when I joined but I was in my first job. Many years later, I’ve earned the money to fund my GAS and settled at four electrics plus bass plus acoustic. But I only keep one because it was an 18th present. My tastes have moved on so it’s more a keepsake. I would have traded it otherwise.

awasson likes this.
  15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Two and two. One LP and one Tele. Three and three if you count an old Ibanez Roadster in another country.

Pax/
    Dean
    P.s. okay, four and four if you count an acoustic I almost never play and always forget I own.

awasson likes this.
  16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

No change

awasson likes this.
  17. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister

Like @awasson I watched the Les Paul builds and discovered the wonderful things happening in the Tele Home Depot.

Someday....

My small collection of guitars hasn't changed in five or so years.

I do have a few amp builds to get to....:rolleyes:

awasson and John Nicholas like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Increased for a while and is generally decreasing now.
    A few more pedals though.

awasson likes this.
  19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

do you run all the Voxes daisy chained together on full? ;)

20. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

Before (in the order I acquired them):
    Squier MIK Strat
    Epiphone LP Special
    Yamaha FG730 Acoustic
    Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
    Fender MIM Strat - (Daily Player)

After - All of the above PLUS:
    Fender MIA Telecaster
    Taylor 214ce Acoustic
    Squier VM Jazz Bass
    Fender MIM Jazz Bass
    Fender MIM P Bass

So basically I had 5 before I joined and added another 5 after....

No major GAS right now. Considering selling off some of what I currently have. Enjoying looking, but don't "feel" the need for anything else. Might buy a hollowbody, but mostly looking at amps now.

t guitar floyd and awasson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.