How many guitars before joining TDPRI vs. After?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by awasson, May 1, 2019.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was just looking at the What’s the next guitar you’re going to buy? Seriously discussion and it occurred to me that I have somehow built, bought or been given a lot of guitars and it's happened since I joined TDPRI.

Before I joined TDPRI it was me and my trusty 1982 Ibanez AS100 against the world but since I joined I've built 1, am building another two, bought 6, was returned one from a loan in the 90's, was given 2 more and gave away 3. I've also got an acoustic gathering dust so basically, I had two guitars when I started and now I've got 9 + 2 under construction.

How many do you have and how many have appeared since you joined?

* Pictures do help explain the insanity.

BEFORE

IMG_4062.jpg

AFTER

IMG_3508.jpg IMG_4343.jpg IMG_4455.jpg

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

BEFORE Delta.jpg Strat&SG.jpg AFTER--finally came back to my senses & play what i like,,,& works, this site chased me from tele's forever 6heads (2).jpg BRig (2).jpg

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I joined two years ago. I have the same guitars I had back then. The difference is that I'm getting much more from all of them than I ever imagined. I joined because I had questions about modifying a guitar and really needed answers. I got help here from ^^awasson^^ with another. I'm at a point where I really appreciate what I have. I appreciate the differences between them and I've stopped chasing tone. What I mean by that is that rather than trying to make a guitar sound like something in my imagination, I'm getting the most from the unique sounds I can get from each of them. That's not to say I'll never get another. It's not saying I won't work on one either. But for anything I do, I'll have a much better idea what to expect... and a better idea of what the change can't possibly make better. So this is as good a time as any to say thanks to everyone who's steered me in the right direction. I hope none of my posts have lead anyone astray.

Deathray and awasson like this.
  4. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Being here the past 9 years, I have the same 4 guitars, two fewer amps and a couple more for sale.

The most important thing I have learned is that gear isn’t my main interest, something that’s easy to forget now and then.

I like to play. Always have and visiting here reminds me of that.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I actually have about 10 fewer guitars now than when I joined, but what I gave up in quantity I made up for in quality.

- D

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

In the 10 yrs I’ve been here ?

More of a revolving door that’s needed new bearings every 6 months.

But - a lot

7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I refuse to answer the question, on the grounds that ... well, you can figure the rest out!

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

LOL. Great answer.

Mike Eskimo and awasson like this.
  9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I actually downsized right about the time I joined 3 years ago. 15 (guitars + basses, mandos, dobro, uke) to about 5. I’ve bought 2 more acoustics since i’ve been here and playing less Tele ironically.

awasson likes this.
  10. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

have the same 3 I had when I came here.. I'll be -3 when I leave here :)

I tried to be a collector and I'm just not. I play em all everyday

Skamania and awasson like this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have less guitars now. Counting is too hard, I just got up a couple hours ago.
    I do have 2 and a half more teles than I did before joining.

awasson and bftfender like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

About 4-5 less

Has nothing to do with TDPRI ( or TGP either).
    Just the time period coincided with my need for $$, and just sold off what I didn't use for gigs.

Now I really don't play the one Tele I kept( WTF?!?!)
    Just more of a Strat/ Dano boy! Sorry!!!!

awasson likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

An interesting question and thread. Before joining in 2012, I had a MIM strat, Epi Sheraton, Yamaha SG, Fender acoustic. About a month after joining, bought my MIM tele (the reason I joined) ... thinking I was done.:lol: Since then, I have bought a beater replacement for the worn out Fender acoustic, a very nice Eastman parlor, traded an amp for a bass and I bought a reso and sold the Yamaha SG. So that is 4 before and 6 after joining.

Yes, I am content and have not changed any gear for over a year and no plans to and no GAS.:cool:

John Nicholas and awasson like this.
  14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

From the moment I started playing (1991-92?) I've been completely addicted to guitars. At this point I've gone through over 250. I had some very nice/expensive guitars from before marriage & kids (& divorce) that I had sold to pay bills.

Now I'm with a lady who doesn't believe we live in 1940 (as opposed to being the sole provider for a family or 4) & last year I got a promotion at work. For the first time in my adult life I'm not struggling to put food on the table. It's a weird feeling & I'm not used to it yet. Since my divorce & recent promotion I've gone a bit nutzo. I'm definitely not on a responsible path ATM.

Right now my collection is at an all time high (I haven't counted recently because I think then the problem is real) numbers wise but not necessarily value wise as some of the more expensive guitars I've owned still didn't cut it & I'm a modder at heart (don't Mod expensive guitars). I also have 5 guitars in various stages of building & wonder what I'll do with them if I ever even finish. Give them to the kids???

So the only thing TDPRI is doing for me on that front is reducing the amount of time I spend looking at Craigslist, Kijiji, Reverb, etc.... so maybe the incoming guitars have slowed????? There's a purge in the works, just trying to decide what stays & what goes.

If anything, I should spend all my free time here.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    John Nicholas, Skamania and awasson like this.
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have more and better stuff than I had whenever I 1st came to tdpri, but it's due to the fact that my financial situation improved some over those years, not because of tdpri.

t guitar floyd, G.Rotten and awasson like this.
  16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've been here a long time and I believe I had about 5-7 guitars and 1 amp when I joined.
    I now have maybe 25 guitars and 11 amps now. That doesn't count maybe 30 guitars and 8-10 amps that have been in and out during that time, but hey, we all have our excesses...

17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

I have an MIA strat, and a couple of Squiers, a Tele deluxe and a strat. I had a couple more but I sold them. I had several amps, but I sold them and got my Mesa, and a Marshall CODE 100 ( toy) BUT SOUNDS really good

awasson likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I joined up here about when I got more serious about getting back into playing. At that time I had 3 electrics, two acoustics and a lap steel. Now I have only one of those electrics (my tele) and one of the acoustics (my Larrivee), and 7 others...I also went from one amp and two pedals to four amps and 8+ pedals. I think 8-10 total is my right number of guitars and I definitely have a couple more "keepers" than I did back then. I don't blame TDPRI necessarily since playing a lot will spur interest in gear. But if I go over 10 total instruments, me and the tdpri are gonna have a talk.

Truth be told, I was bored of "best pickups" and "what do you think about green guitars" posts years ago from posting on another forum. This forum is great because of the playing discussions and the great knowledge some of you guys have and willingness to share. Some funnies too..

srolfeca, Skamania and awasson like this.
  19. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if it is a result of TDPRI but I have a lot more and probably parts for 5-6 in various stages of completion.

awasson likes this.
  20. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Before: a small handful
    Today: it's actually a little scary

TDPRI played a role, but the most important factor was -- stores started giving me a choice. For the longest time, you saw a wall of Strats and a wall of Les Pauls. MAYBE one Telecaster, in the entire store.

Gradually, you began to see Jazzmasters. Then it was the J. Mascia Jazzmaster (the purple one), which was actually affordable. Then it was paisley Teles, some interesting Daisy Rock guitars, and suddenly, OMG, electric hollowbodies.

This was very exciting for me, because I was finally seeing in person the guitars I had only ever seen in catalogs. A Firebird, and I can touch it...? A Country Gentleman?

Next thing you know, I am the poster boy for GAS.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.