1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Many Guitar Magazines do you Subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Apr 4, 2019.

How Many Guitar Magazines do you Subscribe to?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2019.
  1. 0

67 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. 1

20 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. 2

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 3+

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I'm surprised more people don't read guitar magazines. I personally really enjoy them, i still find it relaxing to sit down and read something that i'm holding in my hands.

greenhornet likes this.
  2. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I love Guitarist magazine, been reading it ever since the first issue and at one time i think i had about every issue for the first 15 years (or maybe slightly longer) of publication - that got a bit silly after a while so i gave them away but i still always get it every month. Never tried the digital version, i'm a bit old school, i just love to sit and read.

I have always loved British guitar mags, they have a slightly different format to the State side magazines, as well as interviews and technique features they always have a good selection of gear reviews and i just love reading about the latest gear even if i have no intention of buying it. But they have also proved useful in leading me to purchases.

greenhornet likes this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Never did
    Dont pay for anything these days
    No newspapers , magazines , nothing
    No tv package , everything can be streamed
    My kids call me an old stubborn conservative
    At least , I live in the modern world reg a few things , LOL

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Guitarist, and to a lesser extent Guitar & Bass (is that still published?), went all 'lifestyle' a few years ago.

That's when they lost me. I don't want to read adverts disguised as reviews, or interviews with stars that reveal nothing but the interviewee's next tour dates.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Never subscribed but bought GP for years until I guess the old guard left 10-15 years ago.

The New Yorker comes every week.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've never subscribed to any magazines guitar related or not. In the 80's I used to occasionally buy a few guitar magazines if they looked interesting or had a hot chick on the cover.

Back then i would buy Sonics magazine once a year for the latest gear with industry prices listed. It was thick a/f and would take some time to flick through all the pages.

7. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I never miss Total Guitar. It's got great tuition sections and equipment reviews and an entertaining ambience. I used to buy another Brit magazine called Guitar Techniques but it's quite formal compared to TG and doesn't feature gear tests/comparisons or interviews. I don't know what it's like these days but (American) Guitar Player didn't have a technique CD and the tab was hard to follow because it almost needed a magnifying glass to read. Plus there were too many advertisements. The last one I read was about 20 years ago, maybe it's changed now.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

1. Acoustic Guitar

9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I subscribed to Guitar World for over 10 years and loved it. But it eventually got to where I'd read all the stories about the old stuff and wasn't interested in the vast majority of the new stuff they were covering. This went on for a couple of years before I finally let my subscription run out.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Truth is just one, Vintage Guitar, and that is actually an annually renewed, very nice X-mas gift a guitar buddy got for me.
    It's the only mag I dig anymore as it skews towards older/ Classic music( R&R/Blues/Country) and players, and of course the gear. Just like it!

I used to have a steady subscription ( 1980 till 2015?) to Guitar Player, but I just seemed to have less and less common ground with the current players, music ( I'm not a metal guy, into Satriani, Vai etc.), or the gear. Was getting mag, but tiring quickly...

Used to buy the other mags too, but no longer.
    I remember as a kid in say 1975 "not believing!" that there was actually an entire monthly mag ( GP) that was just about the guitar! Simpler days...

11. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Magazines have been out of life for a few years now. I’d but Guitar Player from the stand if there was something that caught my eye, transcription, or a colum that got my interest. My other go to was Hot VWs. They had great engine builds any new tech for an 80 year old engine. And feature cars that were shall we say bought and not built. Now it’s just cruises, built patina cars that can’t make it out of the county much less get it on at a drag strip.
    I have TDPRI (wish the old app still worked).
    I have a machinist forum online.
    I have 3-4 local VW clubs for cruising and racing. Come on summer!

12. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I subscribed to Guitar Player for most of the 80's & 90's. I have had a subscription to Premier Guitar for the past 10 years. All the rest I give a grade "B" or less. I quit Guitar Player when they started doing too much Bonamosa.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Another former Guitar Player subscriber here. The _music_ mag I subscribed to the longest was Downbeat, the jazz mag.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics, greenhornet and tery like this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

GP but this is the last year for me.

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Used to be 2, but when they expired I didn't renew. So much repetition it just got boring and a waste of paper.

telemnemonics and Jim622 like this.
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It seems that when I subscribe to any magazine I only flip thru them and toss them on the table .

17. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

Only Acoustic Guitar - also get Fretboard Journal, but that includes a fair number of mandos, banjos, etc.

D.H.

18. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I currently subscribe to Fretboard Journal, Guitar Player, Vintage Guitar and Premier Guitar. That's a lot, but some of the subscriptions will run out soon and I won't renew. I usually subscribe to any one of them for a year or two - then get bored with them - and then re-subscribe after not getting them for awhile. I think I like Vintage Guitar the best for interviews and for their sections on new music releases. Fretboard Journal is kind of a splurge as it's pricey for just 4 issues a year.

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I get GP and Premier Guitar. PG is actually a pretty good magazine all things considered. They seem like they really try. I get GP just because it's so cheap. I think it's about $20 for two years or something.

20. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

one-fretboard journal. only mag worth getting. used to get vintage guitar but as with most all magazines, became ad space with very little content. much more is available on the internet.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.