1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Many Guitar Magazines do you Subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Apr 4, 2019.

How Many Guitar Magazines do you Subscribe to?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2019.
  1. 0

67 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. 1

20 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. 2

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 3+

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Curious, as I played a lot as a kid and bought magazines from time to time if they had articles i wanted to read.

After stepping away from playing for about 12 or 14 years, at least on a regular basis, I got back into guitar not to play, but to build, which has led to more playing again.

It didn't even occur to me that there were still guitar magazines.

On the hobby woodworking side, and professional, there have been magazines for quite some time. There used to be a few big main ones, some limited number of issues (like quarterly or semi-annual), and then a bunch of specialty magazines. Most of them are dead or very near to it. Some have turned into one magazine trying to cover several topics to get subscribership big enough to continue, but that usually just leads to everyone being unhappy and the publication still dies.

Woodworking is best learned in knowing what you want to build, what standard, and then doing it rather than reading snippets from other people.

It's a zero for me for guitar magazines and always will be.

2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Before the internet I was a magazine lover. Guitar, woodworking, hunting, model airplanes, science... I have totes filled with them. Now not so much, the last time I picked one up I realized how much they have changed...minimal content, maximum advertisements, and crazy cover prices. No thanks.

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

0 never have.

4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I had Premier and let it run out in January, going to start it up again, have to have something to read on the growler!

Lake Placid Blue and Straydogger like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

O, now.
    I did, for decades, starting n 1973.
    I subscribed to GP, and later, VG.
    I really enjoyed them.
    Time changes everything.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I subscribed to Guitar Player for years. But I let it lapse in the '90's, did Vintage Guitar for a while, but the internet is all I use these days.

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

A long time ago I subbed to Guitar Player. And I think Bass Player also.

8. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    We have two really good ones in the UK and i get both of them pretty much every issue. They are Guitarist magazine (which i have been reading since the very first issue) and the Guitar Magazine. Both are very well produced with excellent content. I used to get Guitar Player regularly but don't anymore. We also have another one in the UK called Total Guitar which i used to read off and on but don't really bother with any more, i just stick with Guitarist and the Guitar Mag.

9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used to cherish Guitar Player magazine back in the day. Then they started featuring hair band guitarists and too much MIDI stuff and it just wasn't as much fun. Ditched Rolling Stone at the same time.

Toadtele likes this.
  10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Vintage Guitar is the only one currently. I used to get Guitar Player in the 80s and 90s - it's a different magazine now. Acoustic Guitar is a good one. Fretboard journal sometimes.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to get Guitar Player.

Now i got TDPRI.

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don’t need no stinking magazines. Got TDPRI.

tery likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I read some online but that's it I love actually holding magazines, books, newspapers in my hands but don't like the clutter So it's all electronic for me now

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I subscribe to Guitarist, a British magazine I found on a visit to Scotland. It is exceptionally well written, generally avoids genres I avoid myself, and is really a magazine for adults. I keep a lot of the back issues and look for some of the guitars I see there that aren't too common stateside when I'm in Europe. I'm not sure if I'll buy one over there because of import restrictions, but I like to look. There are two things about Guitarist not to like. British magazine subscriptions are very expensive in the US and the online subscription options are Mac or cell phone apps. I don't use Mac and cell phones are just too small for a magazine.

Richie-string likes this.
  15. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Currently and for the last 14 years it's been zero.

I did Guitar World every other year from late 80s til about 2000. Then I did Guitar Player for a couple years and I had one complimentary year of Guitar One.

I liked the diversity of Guitar Player for the couple years I got it. It introduced me to guys like Bill Kirchen, Redd Volkaert, and Johnny Hiland.

The tab mags always seem to rotate magazine covers between Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Beck and EVH.

16. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

♫ I'm a dude now!

All the old dudes
    playing lawyer blooze
    shorts and tennis shoes
    the best years all used♫

Jim622 likes this.
  17. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

I'm another used to...

I was a long time Vintage Guitar subscriber, but I guess they covered it all, so they started packing it was ads and articles about people who used to own a relic guitar that looked vintage. It went a few editions with nothing I wanted to read, so that was that.

I was also a long time Fretboard Journal subscriber, but I really only wanted to see sexy pictures of herringbone D-28s, and I didn't get enough of that. I still have a few editions in my closet in their cardboard delivery box because I've been too lazy to open them, and even too lazy to just recycle them

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Why buy magazines when better content is on YouTube for free?

19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

When I travel on planes I always peruse the mag racks for those special edition rolling Stones that are only about a single person. Neil young, Paul McCartney, Lennon etc... Then they make good bathroom readers when I get home.

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Regular Guitarist Reader.

Moved over to the digital version app which was a really bad bit of code. Too many bugs and so I ditched the digital subscription after 18 months frustration.

YouTube and web got same or equivalent material now anyway

Richie-string likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.