How many doghouse players we got here?

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
Here ya’ go. Been hitting’ on one since high school.

Attachments

• 9F3273CA-5893-4DDE-875E-9B98474363C6.jpeg
    9F3273CA-5893-4DDE-875E-9B98474363C6.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 19

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
Man, I tried one of those for the first time last year.
Intonation is killer hard.
I'd have to saw in some frets if it were mine.
Here's a secret: get some clear scotch tape and a tuner. Use the tuner to find the G on the E string and mark the note placement on the side of the fingerboard--not on the surface of the fingerboard, but on the side closest to you--with a little piece of clear tape. Do it again for A and B on the E string. That should get you most of the way there, and few will notice.

If you use proper left hand form and play slow scales over a drone note, correcting each note by ear against the drone before moving to the next note, you'll have your intonation pretty good in no time.

I'm mostly a fiddler and guitarist, but I can play my wife's upright bass well enough for a short gig. I'd probably need hand surgery if I tried to play a full two sets in one night on bass.

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’m in the club but so far all I’ve managed is some basic bluegrass.

You can cheat and make some inconspicuous marks on your neck or fretboard to help with learning finger placement. It always amazes me how far the reach between “frets” is, going from note to note. A lot of real estate between semitones and a lot of room for error

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
I gigged on upright for twenty years. Mostly jazz and jazz adjacent or americana stuff. Kind of retired now--covid stopped the gigs and my hands got soft. I loove the double bass but it's demanding. Intonation is a constant challenge and it's physically tough. If I took a gig now I'd be bleeding in ten minutes.

Blowtorch man you might want to take a lesson or two on hand position. Or not, if you're having fun, but you could get a bigger sound.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
maxvintage- yeah the upright bassists forum wanted to ruin it for me with lessons, too

If I ever get serious to where I want to actually play out, I'll pursue em for sure

in the meantime, I'm all about building up bad habits

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
maxvintage- yeah the upright bassists forum wanted to ruin it for me with lessons, too

If I ever get serious to where I want to actually play out, I'll pursue em for sure

Well I was doing three sets a night a couple times a week and it's the kind of thing where bad technique catches up with you

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I played a few gigs on one and instantly developed more respect for anyone doing it on the regular

playing in tune is helped along by using those open strings whenever possible, which means you have to get all the notes in first position down cold

I love everything about it except the expense

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
as with everything, buy used
I'm in less than a grand: stand-up, pickup system and amp total

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The seller represented it as half scale but research later showed it a 1/4 scale

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
If I play too much guitar when the wife is home, I'm in the doghouse...does that count? :p

Seriously...I've played electric bass at a pretty proficient level. I've tried upright and realized to execute properly on it, I'd have to drop everything else and concentrate on that. Mad respect to any and all doghouse players.