How many delay pedals do you have/actively use?

How many delay pedals

Votes: 81 45.3%

Votes: 41 22.9%

Votes: 24 13.4%

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • 5+, I probably need help.

Votes: 18 10.1%

• Total voters

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Seriously, how many delay pedals do you have/ actively use? I suppose "actively" is an important aspect of this as the question is not just about collecting delays, but what is required to get your sound and / or perform the music you play.

I ask this because in my quest for digital delay, one to add to my tape (Belle Epoch Deluxe) and Analogish (Arp-87), I ran across a few players who use more than one. Vince Gill uses two, but I believe they are for two different guitars. I am sure there are many others that I have glossed over in many a rig rundown or board gazings I have done.

Does one delay pedal meet the need, or do you use more than one to get what you are after?

Normally, just one, but on some gigs in the past I've used three at a time. One is a light slapback, the other two set to reverse with staggered times, turned on together occasionally in a feedback loop.

Now I have four I play with, but only the belle epoch bas been making it to the gig. There's one tune I want something else on, but I hate to add a pedal.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I play more bass than guitar these days but sometimes on home recording projects I’ll use delay on guitar or lap steel parts. Usually a long delay with a pretty low wet ratio, so the repeats are pretty subtle. I use the delay effects in my Zoom B2 bass modeler pedal, which pulls multi-duty as a DI recording device when I’m not using it as the preamp stage in my bass rig.

The Zoom B2 has a pretty useful selection of reverb, delay and tremolo sounds in it. So I voted “1.”

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I have one simple analog delay that is almost always on, though not very noticeable. As the only guitarist in a 3 piece (guitar, bass, drums) band, I feel it fills things up a bit. I have a second (Source Audio Nemesis) that I use for more prominent delays and effects.

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I said three. I have two stereo rigs each rig has it's own stereo delay. A Boss DD8. Then one amp I have for grab and go. That one has a Boss DD7

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I have a Deep Blue delay I use for slap back, and a Boss DD3 I use for everything else. If I just want to take a small pedal board or just a couple of pedals, I’ll usually just take the DD3. I also have an old DD2 that I use to use as a second delay before the DBD came along.

If all I had was a DD3, I’d be ok with it….

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Seriously, how many delay pedals do you have/ actively use? I suppose "actively" is an important aspect of this as the question is not just about collecting delays, but what is required to get your sound and / or perform the music you play.

I ask this because in my quest for digital delay, one to add to my tape (Belle Epoch Deluxe) and Analogish (Arp-87), I ran across a few players who use more than one. Vince Gill uses two, but I believe they are for two different guitars. I am sure there are many others that I have glossed over in many a rig rundown or board gazings I have done.

Does one delay pedal meet the need, or do you use more than one to get what you are after?

I have an Epoch Deluxe which I love, but would like to eventually get a DD that has an endless decay sort of thing. Not sure what that setting is called but I think the boss DD-? is supposed to be a good one.
Gill, I think uses two with one set as a slapback effect and the other as a longer standard delay.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
One at home that I mess around with, and one on the board for 'my band sound'.
I enjoy some modulated stereo delays when I'm writing or experimenting, but I just use a hint sometimes with the band.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
One wasn't enough for Brian May.

I have 3. A Maxon AD900, Supro Analog Delay, and a Moog Minifooger and I don't use any of them. I plug straight in to the amp.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I have two, and use one. Both Ibanez. I've had this MIJ AD for years. I keep it for sentimental reasons.
OMtFC67.jpg

Now I use the Mini.

WcRK7yB.jpg

LeicaBoss

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have two analog delays. One set for a slap and the other is the DOD Rubberneck for tap delay and more modulated/grungey sounds. I do have them on at the same time with some frequency.

#3 is an old school TC Electronic Flashback that I'll use for longer, swirly, crazier delays and short looping.

roeg

Tele-Meister
I guess how many are on the board(s) may be a better way to ask it. They aren't in the dugout, they are on deck most of the time.

How many decks do you have is a good question!:lol:

I currently run 2 decks(by Pedaltrain) with one echo unit per board in the Performance hall.:)Cool units.

I have a third homemade deck...oak board(2) finished, velcro'd, that i made myself and used in my gig years...It's long retired to fun and games at home.
It's setup close to where i do my everyday stuff, cooking ,cleaning , kitchen what-not.Right at hand at all times.
2 echo units on that one(AD999's), each unit has up to 900ms in delay...its fun to experiment,why i like it.Fun deck.:cool:
On this deck,i am currently running the dry out on both echo units,to (2) Fender combos and a Hiwatt>2-12 using a loop switcher to switch between them(or sometimes both on!).

3 amps in total.The space when the initial attack comes out one amp> and the repeats come out the other is...amazing.I like!
In combination with volume swells takes it to a whole 'nuther level!

Its hard to go back to mono echo repeats.They sound false...but hey, use it.

Last edited: