How many delay pedals do you have/actively use?

How many delay pedals

Votes: 81 45.3%

Votes: 41 22.9%

Votes: 24 13.4%

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • 5+, I probably need help.

Votes: 18 10.1%

• Total voters

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have 2 and actually only use 1. A Rogue Analog Delay gives me a nice slap back for some honky tonk stuff. In reality I don’t often use pedals at all.

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
2, 3 if you want to count the RV-6 (which I use for various reverbs). JRockett for slapback, Duncan Vapor Trails for longer repeats... used to use only the Duncan, but got tired of leaning over between songs to change the knobs...

Franc Robert

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
Just the Boss digital delay.

But my Boss Reverb does have a delay setting that I don’t use, and the Boss Katana amp has a delay option that I don’t use.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
I stack an Eventide MultiTap with a Strymon Timeline. Add a SA Ventris for good measure ambient goodness !

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi…my name is Fiesta Red, and I’m a recovering anti-delayist.

When I first started playing in 1989, I detested the near-ubiquitous chorus + digital delay pedals everyone had and overused. This, for the first 15 years I played, I never owned or used delay, and rarely cracked open the reverb knob.

I have only owned two delay pedals in the entire time I’ve been playing.

The first was a Rocktron Short-Timer.
Goofy name.
Sounded pretty good.
Liked it overall.
Pedal was huge.

Tried an MXR Carbon Copy.
Sounded really good.
Much smaller footprint.
Doubt I’ll ever change it, but never say never…

Sold the Short-Timer to a friend who used it for ten years, then quit playing. I don’t know what he did with it.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I have never seen Vince Gill’s pedal board, but I guarantee one of the echoes on it is for slapback.

I always have a cheap Donner delay for that purpose. I keep thinking I am going to add a second one for “other stuff” but I never get around to doing it. I did buy a used Line 6 Echo Park on Tim Pierce’s recommendation. It’s cool, but needs some work (or replacement) before it’s trustworthy enough to depend on.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
So, I use the HX effect and/or HX stomp…. So I have something like 30 different delays at my disposal at any given time. Of those 30ish delays, I regularly use 4, with another 2-3 getting some periodic/experimental play time.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
if i just need slapback or stutter (like glitchy version of ehx freeze) i use a flashback. i like the programmability of the mash switch and doing weird stuff with the presets. more important to me than the toanz.

if i'm playing more loopy music, i just use the sync'ed delay on my octatrack or in ableton.

Tobias

Tele-Meister
Just (3-in-)1, flashback x4 (v1 without mash). It’s on the gig board, but the covers that it was for are off the playlist, so it gets used at home for soundscapes and futzing. I hook it up with my beatbuddy sometimes.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
Have three.....mostly use one, two of them are one a kind pedals, one I had made as I wanted to have one with two delays, and one that has a different type of toneknob, plus my old Boss DD-3 with the long chip, modded with an extra modulation circuit.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Seriously, how many delay pedals do you have/ actively use? I suppose "actively" is an important aspect of this as the question is not just about collecting delays, but what is required to get your sound and / or perform the music you play.

I ask this because in my quest for digital delay, one to add to my tape (Belle Epoch Deluxe) and Analogish (Arp-87), I ran across a few players who use more than one. Vince Gill uses two, but I believe they are for two different guitars. I am sure there are many others that I have glossed over in many a rig rundown or board gazings I have done.

Does one delay pedal meet the need, or do you use more than one to get what you are after?
3 but I only use one at a time of course and only have a single pedal at a time on each of my two pedalboards. A digital delay with tap tempo, an analog delay for anlaog sounds and a tape delay for 60-s and 70s tape delay and slapback echo.

BossDD3Pedo.jpg
Boss DD-3T Digital Delay

IbañezAD9.jpg
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay

T-Rex.jpg
T-Rex Replicator Tape Echo