1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many basses do you actually own and are they the same?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Old Has Been, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Carvin LB50, vintage 1983 that I bought new. I sold a P-bass to fund it. Later I sold my old Gibson 450 bass, severe neck dive & all, because the Carvin is so solid there was never again a need for a backup axe.

2. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Fender “Players” Jazz Bass. All I really need for my requirements.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

3... a Jazz, a Fretless Precision and an old Aria SB1000 - my main gigging bass. The Jazz has a serial switch and is my main recording bass now.

i would like an old Yamaha BB or a musicman one day.

Old Has Been and SheldonP like this.
  4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Two. A Peavey Fury II, and a Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 string J-bass. Both strung with flat wounds.

Old Has Been and SheldonP like this.
  5. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic

Four, all Fenders. I have a Jazz, P bass with Jazz neck, Mustang PJ and Squier Mustang with PJ neck. All have are unique animals set up for different situations with wiring and pickup and string changes. The Mustang PJ has been my main bass for a while now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

One Squier CV-60 P-Bass. Just trying to learn in my spare time.

7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Three.

Epi EBO
    Squier CV jazz
    Harley Benton Jazz

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I did some research on a '62 P that an old friend has had since he bought it new in 1963 (he is almost 85 now lol). His is a sunburst model and has been played a ton. But he allowed me to take some tracings and measurements of it before it went back into the closet.

So I made some templates, bought a Fender bass neck and made myself a bass. Body is alder and really light, neck is a standard Maple with vintage elephant ear tuners. I added the vintage string trees and even the period correct strap button on the back of the headstock. It is sprayed in Dakota Red nitro over a white primer (according to Fender that was the process and part of the reason the Reds started looking more pink the older they got as the red faded over the white primer) and cut a Tort pick guard.
    It has vintage wound PBass pups (I think they may be GHS or some I pulled out of another old bass (maybe a 80's Tokai copy?) but they are creamy and have some thump. I added the chrome covers to be period correct and play it with the covers on as I like the sound the covers create (although it does not allow playing pop slap style).

It is about six years old now and is aging nicely.

Bassman8, 68Telebass and Old Has Been like this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I'll give you what you paid for all of them for the '74 Jazz!!

Bassman8, MickM, 68Telebass and 2 others like this.
  10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Ha!

I paid $59.95 for my '74 Jazz Bass at a pawnshop in '08, and that's been the best deal I've EVER gotten on any of my musical instruments to date.

This bass was already lovingly well bruised and scarred when I picked it up.

I understand now why this bass was played so much.

I'd really like to know the reason why the original owner had to pawn this amazing bass.

Bassman8, Old Has Been and Preacher like this.
  11. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

A Yamaha RBX170EW. Been gassin up after seeing the Hofner Ignition (SE), recently. My Reeves C225 has just been finished. Waiting on the cabs tho, so I opted to wait on all to be shipped together. End of month? Fingers crossed. Supply chain has road bumps.

Old Has Been likes this.
  12. don

don Tele-Meister

While I've had as many as 10 at a time I currently have 2 - a custom '54/55 style P Bass and a Fender Player P bass. I discovered I'm not a fan of Jazz Basses or Gibson basses. I really miss the weight and tone of my Jerry Jones basses (Danelectro style) though. I tried some hollow body basses but they did not connect. Its good to try a bunch and then find your favorite!

13. Tylercaster

Tylercaster Tele-Meister

Mine are all different:
    American P-Bass with Flatwounds
    Mexico J-Bass with Rounds and Noiseless Pickups
    Tacoma Thunderchief
    Ibanez BTB 5-String with Rounds
    Not mine but I do have access to my brothers (McCartney) Hofner with flats
    No Name Chinese upright bass that records well

Between all these I think I have all my "basses" covered.

Bassman8 and Old Has Been like this.
  14. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

2 basses for me:

- A Samick PJ style Corsair bass that was given to me.
    - A no-name pawn shop special bass that's had the horrible active pickup system ripped out and replaced with a pair of Jazz bass pickups, though I may rout it out for a bridge humbucker

Eventually I'd like a get a really nice bass setup, but for now what I have lets me lay down basic stuff for me to jam with

15. Quixotic

Quixotic TDPRI Member

Hey! Sorry for the late response!

Oh thanks hahah. I Just hydrodipped it. It's nothing special and there's tons of resources online that can teach you how to do it. The wiring harness is a bit of a tossup from a dozen different tone circuits throughout the years. It has a single volume for the P bass coils, and the concentric pot houses the Jazz coil's volume and a shared tone knob for the two at the bottom wired in 50's style. The P volume knob is on a push/pull that acts as a blower switch in circuit so I can get a quick blast of volume out of it without needing to kick a pedal. The additional toggle is a series/parallel switch I added in after the fact, and it is a livechanging feature. It's almost like a fourth tone out of my bass that's fatter than a precision but still has a tight high end from the J in the bridge. All this meets in a three way switch because I *hate* the blend feature that plagues so many passive bass circuits. You never get a perfect blend of either and that pot loads down the pickups further darkening the tone. I've totally forgone that feature and dropped a three-way Gibson style switch in there and I've never been happier!

If I lost you anywhere, I have a very brief video you can just check out here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CC4ISHBAFQA/

Is that a Univox 1226 in your profile pic? That is an absolutely stellar amp! I've been wanting one for AGES now. Fell in love with a local music store model and I knew I had to have one some day! I played the 1225 that had the reverb and one of the best tremolos I've ever heard... but that's a story for another thread hahaha

Old Has Been likes this.
  16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

and yes, they are all the same

17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

@Quixotic,

Thanks for the info; that gives me a
    bunch of stuff to think about.

The avatar amp is a Univox 1246-B (bass version, no trem or reverb, optimistically 60 watts from three 12AX7s, a 12AU7 phase inverter and a pair of 6L6s). I bought it in my early guitar gigging days, grunge era, and cranked it through a Scholz Power Soak attenuator into an open-backed Fender 4 x 12. It worked well for that; dime everything but the bass knob to control the flub...

...but it wasn’t super-reliable in that duty. It hung around as a doorstop for awhile, powered a wedge monitor for our practice PA for awhile, and when I got into bass I tried it for awhile and determined I only liked it cranked right to the edge of dirt, which rattled all the ductwork in our house but wasn’t loud enough to
    hold its own against drums. Finally I sold it. But I had fun with it for awhile...

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have one bass that gets played. I bought others just to flip.

The one I play started as a P-bass but I routed it for JPJ and a 5-way Strat switch. It Quacks.

[​IMG]

19. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1 bass and it’s different, a Dean acoustic . I picked it up last spring as a deal of the day

20. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I have five and two them are Fenders, but alas, they're not the same - what would be the point of that, the strings don't break or anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.