1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many bands are you in right now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scout2112, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

None that gig.

One that gets together a few times a year. We’d been talking about doing a gig finally, but the other guitar player is moving across the pond for a while. Trying to fit in one more get together before he leaves.

The old high school band had been reuniting at least annually for a few years, but it’s been five years since the last one. Will do it again soonish. Plans are afoot.

But that’s it.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  2. flatirony

flatirony TDPRI Member

What counts as being in a band? My friends are a married couple that go on tour as a duo. When they’re in town and play shows with a full band I’m in the backing band.

Counting them and the one that is just working up material, I’m in four bands, on four instruments. I suck to varying degrees at all four, but I’m enthusiastic and I will play for nothing. ;-)

Jakedog and Ash Telecaster like this.
  3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Three: The soul/blues band named after me, an organ trio playing funk jazz and lately I joined a rockabilly trio.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Two. One I call a Novelty Band, we do a wide range of music and will almost try
    anything requested. The other is a duo with a female country singer/player.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One a play out bar blues band and church worship.

6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

4 music "projects". One is a band that plays Green Day/Theory of a Deaman kind of stuff and plays some pretty impressive places but doesnt play that often. Two is a disco funk dance corporate party band. Three is a recording project for a friend who is terminal and wants to record his swan song. Four is an acoustic duo, gets a few gigs here and there but doesnt play out often.

Honestly Im not super enthused regarding the music in any project. Not that there is anything wrong with it. For the longest time my attittude has been that the style doesnt matter, only how well you do it. Im starting to question what Im doing this for and getting selfish about it. I want to quit everything, woodshed for a year, then start playing music that suits my soul.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

I'm a member of 4 bands, 2 of which I run, and a regular in 1 more. I sub in about another 2/3 depending. All swing/gypsy jazz and 1 Hawaiian. I gave up rock-n-roll about 10yrs ago and have never had a busier gig schedule since.

I wouldn't mind a swing/western swing band to play steel in...

... as long as I don't have to run it!

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Two. Nothing special about them, but I have fun.

9. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

This. Well, she does make an exception for our church worship team, which somehow doesn't count even though I probably spend more hours per month with that group than with my "bar band". So 2.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

One band.

We occasionally do two-man gigs, and other odd projects, but all the members come from within this band.

We played an end-of-September outdoor sports fest, a really nice 40th high school reunion in early October, and we are rehearsing for a large organizational Christmas gig that will have a crowd of around 400 people or more.

Life goes on, and we're energized by every new gig and opportunity.
    :)

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm in four. Two tributes, my own original/cover band, and a band that plays stuff from the 50s to 80s.

I'm also first call sub for two NYC live karaoke bands.

And I'm meeting with a really good singer tonight about either starting another band or having him join mine.

- D

12. guitrr

guitrr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Three bands, two I'm the frontman and one a sideman. I also do 2-3 solo shows a month, and 1-2 casual (I.E. sub) gigs a month.

13. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="noah330, post: 8726910, member: 28314"
    I would rather put a bullet in my head than play on the $100 cover band Mustang Sally circuit.[/QUOTE]
    That’s funny

14. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

1/365th. That is, my old college ‘80s band, which gets together for reunion shows. On average, we’re together two days every two years.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Bassman8 and noah330 like this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm just in one at the moment (The Colorado Green Band). But I want to put together an ensemble to play mostly steel guitar in. I figure the best way to get better is to have to. I play with a group of guys who do Dead covers on Fourth of July but they don't practice or get together much any more. It's more of a jam situation then an actual "band."

Of the members for the first band, the drummer is in two, steel player two and a half and the bass player three plus subs in his ex-band when they get stuck.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

2: a jazz big band and another rather big affair in which I am (sort of) the leader. Then I also have other friends with whom I jam from time to time (2 more bands). It’s a bit too much…

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Two

One is a 4 piece band

One is my solo acoustic thing (I hope this counts)

Both gig

18. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I feel like the fat kid in gym class who REALLY wants to play but no one picks.:(

So 0 for now...hopefully someday that will change...

19. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

4 Bands.... One primary group that takes precedence, and three others that I have some sort of commitment to.
    On top of that, I have about 3 - 4 other artists/groups that I fill in with at least a few times a year.

I haven't been this busy since the mid 90's.

20. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

Since Retired I just fill in with 2 bands and one Studio

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.