How many amps have you got?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Nashville-tele-19, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Nashville-tele-19

Nashville-tele-19 TDPRI Member

Im new to the forum and been scanning through and im surprised at how many amps a lot of you guys have. Are you guys with lots of amps gigging musicians or recording artists that need a few options or is it just for something different to use at home?

I’ve just got back into electric guitar after many years away and I’ve got a little vox vt20x which is a great little amp but I’m starting to notice it’s limits when I gun it so I’m thinking something around 5-10watts valve would be good so it’d be good to know what you use at home too.

JL_LI and Marc Morfei like this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

5-12 watt amps;tube. Fender, Supro, Magnatone. *" speakers in their own designated cabinets is where it is at for me.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Four, and probably more coming.

I am over my guitar GAS, but there are a couple of amps out there that intrigue me.

But honestly, I don't need them. It's just GAS.

For home use I have a Peavey Vypyr 15, which is incredibly versatile, a Vox Mini 5, which is also pretty versatile, with more of a vintage palette, and the one I use most, which is the Yamaha THR5 - the perfect home use amp, and amazing for recording.

I don't care about tubes, kudos, or what's supposedly "good". If I like it, it's good.

old soul and RadioFM74 like this.
  4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Sadly, only 20. But I'm working on it. These are almost all for playing at home, but mostly because I love vacuum tube amplifiers, working on them, designing them, playing them. They keep me off the streets at night.

6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I have 6 but I'll be trying to sell 1 or 2. I like the variety, to be honest, but it's for sure unnecessary for my situation.

7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

1. ‘79 Deluxe Reverb
    2. Fender Excelsior
    3. Custom-built 6G2 clone
    4. Battery-powered Blackstar Fly, if that even counts... it gets more use than the first two. But #3 is actually my #1.

I haven’t been gigging nearly as much as I want to. It’s been a struggle trying to find dedicated players, much to my surprise. And dismay.

8. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1) Fender FSR Hot Rod Deluxe IV in laquered tweed: great Fender cleans and takes pedals well, and the dirt channel on the Hot Rod series has improved dramatically

2) Vox AC30S1: I never used the "Normal" channel on the AC30 or AC15 I used to own, so this is perfect. All Top Boost, all the time.

loco gringo likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Just 3, all used on gigs ( I needed money and space, so years ago sold any guitars/amps not used on gigs):

Blues Jr. ( 1999, Blonde, my 'big gig amp')

VOX Pathfinder 15R- a real small room wonder

Fishman Loudbox Mini- use as a 'solo gig PA' or other acoustic music gig events

* use Smokey Amp ( bought when they first came out, late '90"s $25!) for home.practice ( play mostly acoustic in an apt.)
    I like small/affordable/ good sound- (have a bad back)
    20171024_100812.jpg

old soul likes this.
  10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I have seven. Two of which I gig with.
    The 68 princeton custom and Ampeg J20 jet are the amps I use when I play out.
    My primary house amp is either my Egnater tweaker or Roland Micro Cube.

The last three are old.
    67 Epiphone Galaxie
    66 Western Auto trutone.
    84 Peavey Studio Pro 40.

11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have 5

Two 40 watt Blackstar Club 4 . MKI and MKII

Two 20 watt Blackstar , again MKI and MKII. The MKI is in retirement

And a Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36

I use the 40 watt Blackstars in a stereo setup in the spare bedroom, the other Backstar and the H&K as a stereo setup in the living room

12. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

1: Fender Excelsior.

I've rarely ever owned more than one amp at a time, even back in my gigging years.

Treehouse and Jared Purdy like this.
  13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

1) '58 Twin - this is my all-time favorite amp. I will probably request it be cremated with me.
    2) '59 Bassman Reissue - Another great amp, little less power than the Twin, but different enough tone, I can justify it to myself.
    3) '63 Vibroverb Reissue - The most modern sounding amp I own. Great gigging amp in it's own right. Hell, just another great amp. I've had this the longest of the current amps.
    4) Cox Ultimate 5e3 - a piece of art. Although, it might be the next piece of equipment to go... Because:
    5) Marshall Origin 20C - This might unseat the Cox, only because of the power scaling and better EQ controls.

My wife has been eying my amps recently, thinking I have too many. She may be correct. I think the Cox might go up for sale... Then, I play it and forget about selling it. But, realistically, I never play it at home (I'll play the Twin, Bassman or Marshall first). I rarely gig with it, when I have the option of one of the bigger tweeds. Plus, I kinda want to build a tweed Vibrolux or maybe one of the mid-power Super/Pro/Bandmasters. Either way, I can probably cut down on an amp or two and not miss a beat.

I was gigging a lot, then moved across the country and am now just getting settled into music again. I am, in fact playing with two different groups getting material set for gigging again. Both bands I tend to grab the Twin before anything else.

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Just the one but would prefer more but the ones I want take up a lot if room and are impractical for my situation. And also money haha, I would definitely build before buying though I can get what I want for less that way.

CV Jee Beez and Dr Improbable like this.
  15. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

65’ Vibrolux
    65’ Princeton
    Blues Deluxe
    Little pig nose
    Thus, four

16. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member

Too many especially that I’m not currently gigging. Each amp or guitar I play tho brings out a different playing mood and style out of me so I dig the variety.

•74’ Twin Reverb w/ Orange Frame d120’s
    •Heavily modded ab763 40watt head, preamp tapped to a McIntosh mc2100 w/e120’s
    •MojoTone Super Reverb kit I just built, blond cab.
    •72’ Bassman modded by Allen Amplification DIY 2x12 ‘fender’ cab
    •5e3p Proluxe 2x10 cab

5F3DCCD6-6E34-4E9B-9EE3-93FEFD8A3EA4.jpeg

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

i’m selling 1, but it’s 8 till it goes.

CV Jee Beez and AlbertaGriff like this.
  18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

More than I need, but less than I want. :)

19. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I have five...

Peavey Backstage Plus that was my second amp (after a Gorilla) from back when I was starting out. I custom painted it so it has a lot of sentimental value. Haven't plugged it in in 25 years. Some day I'll bring it in to my local shop to get spruced up.

Vox Mini3 G2
    that I bought a few years back when I got back into playing. Tiny, wonderful little amp that sounds great! The Fender 2x12 model sounds EXACTLY like my beloved red knob Pro 185 from the 80s.

Fender Super Champ X2. I just wanted to have a Fender amp, and this one does the job for me!

Vox AV60... Bought on a whim when Sweetwater was blowing them out for $229... A big, wonderful modeler that makes my Tele sound like a million bucks.

Monoprice 15... Bought on a whim to have an all tube amp (the AV60 and SCX2 are hybrids). It's alright for overdrive, but just not clean enough for my liking. I play 99% clean and for that purpose the Vox and Fender are where it's at.

20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Carvin SX-100
    Fender Blues Jr
    Epiphone Electar Tube 10
    Tech 21 Trademark 10
    Yamaha THR-10
    Tone King Sky King
    Marshall DSL40CR
    Peavey Bass Combo
    SWR Workingman 15

I just play at home for my own stress relief.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Unionjack515 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.