How Many Amps Do You Have?

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
You can include modeling devices (Line 6 Pod, Boss GT, Zoom, etc) and amp-like pedals (Tech 21, Joyo, etc) in your count if you want. And, include cabs as well if you wish.

I got to thinking about this recently when I took this picture of some of my practice amps while playing around with a mini pedalboard. My wife walked by my home office/studio and asked, "Just how many amps do you have?" I mumbled, "Oh, about 10 or so I guess." But, the real number is probably 20-ish, closer to 35 to 40 once everything amp-like is included. Ouch!

lotsaamps.jpg

sudogeek

Tele-Holic
When I was playing in a band in the last century, I was a poor student so I had only one at a time (and a few here and there which I borrowed). Now, I have 3 (Quilter 101, champzilla, and hot rodded PR) but mostly use my pedals into software out to monitor/headphones. So, I have a lot of amps, but mostly virtual.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Only 4. Super Champ x 2; Quilter 101 Reverb; DW Mark 50 and an Ampeg B115. Only 1 tube amp. Gone in the last year-DRRI; PRRI; 66 Ampeg Jet; 65 Ampeg RR; 65 Tremolux. I have a couple of speaker cabs in different configurations that I can mix and match and cover most of the ground that I need to these days.

pfaust

TDPRI Member
You can include modeling devices (Line 6 Pod, Boss GT, Zoom, etc) and amp-like pedals (Tech 21, Joyo, etc) in your count if you want. And, include cabs as well if you wish.

I got to thinking about this recently when I took this picture of some of my practice amps while playing around with a mini pedalboard. My wife walked by my home office/studio and asked, "Just how many amps do you have?" I mumbled, "Oh, about 10 or so I guess." But, the real number is probably 20-ish, closer to 35 to 40 once everything amp-like is included. Ouch!

View attachment 1001422
Wives are funny that way….. Peavy Renown SS, Crate Club 60 tube, Fender DR tube, Fender GTX 100, Marshal MG, Honeytone, Orange Tiny Terror, Fender Rumble, a bass and guitar Sans amp

radtz

Tele-Afflicted
3 guitar amp heads (Orange, Kustom, Marshall)
I 12" Kustom speaker cab
2 combo guitar amps (Spark and Vox)
1 Laney bass head
1 Hartke 15"/horn bass cabinet
1 Fender bass combo amp
1 Johnson J-Station
1 Roland GS6 with a solid state Marshall rack-mount preamp (late 80's finest)

...and lastly, the only set-up that gets recorded these days:
1 Lenovo laptop with an Onyx interface running Bias FX II and Guitar Rig 6

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Guitar (4)
- Two 1x12 tube amps (20 watt Tone King with attenuator, 15 watt / 1 watt Laney cub)
- Yamaha THR10
- Honeytone mini amp

Bass (3)
- 800 watt head / cab combo (Genzler Magellan 800, Greenboy)
- Fender rumble 100
- Roland micro cube

Spox

Tele-Meister
Three amps, a FBJ clone, a Yorkville/H/H half stack, a Carlsbro Viper bass combo and a Zoom 505 pedal with amp sim.

I should probably sell the Yorkville/H/H and Carlsbro and switch the FBJ on more often.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Amps (heads)

-Orange Rocker 15 Terror
-VOX Night Train 15H G2

Cabs

-H&K 2x12 with Celestion G12H-70th Anniversary and Eminence GB128
-homemade open back 1x12 with Tone Tubby 40/40

Combo

-Peavey Bandit112

Amp pedal

-PSHC Moon O))) (Sunn Amp simulator)

Fun toy/tool

-Fender Mustang Micro

Last edited:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Preampy things: Joyo British, Zoom B2 and Behringer V-amp Pro

Power amps: Peavey M-3000 and Crown MicroTech 600

Speaker cab: AudioKinesis Birdhaus 48

(Those three categories are combined in various ways to make up my bass rig)

Also Peavey Audition 20, Special 150 and TKO 115 S combos

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Two:

Main amp is a 90's Tube Works TD-752 two channel 12" combo (plenty loud, and ready for anything you throw at it)

Second amp is a Fender Mustang II first generation. Stays in my living room. Barely used - thinking of selling it.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
a modest 3:
special 6 head and 112 cab with a v30
'frankenbastard' amp; a laney cub10 amp in a marshall 210 chassis
stagg acoustic amp

i don't consider pre-amp pedals like the american sound etc. to be amplifiers though - an amplifier generates amplitude whereas a preamp just boosts a line level signal.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
More than I need, probably!

My first was an early 60s Selmer Treble n Bass head. Gorgeous. Still have it - just been serviced.

Next longest in my possession is an early 60s Vox AC30. Equally gorgeous, but totally unusable at home. (Though increasingly moving towards the idea of using an attenuator.

1972 Fender Bassman head. Lovely - currently being serviced.

Early 60 Watkins Scout combo - great little thing, but a little unreliable. Next on the list to go to my newly discovered amp tech.

Line6 DT50, which gave brilliant service in my last band and then went bang loudly just after I finished with them! Off to be repaired shortly.

Fender Supersonic 60 head and cab - most recent purchase - absolute bargain on eBay.

And a Moor Baby Bomb power amp pedal as emergency back-up, which gives a surprisingly good sound with any one of a few pedal preamps.

I think that's all of them.

I do remember Mesa Boogie running an ad in the 80s with the strapline: "How many amps are you going to buy before you realise you need a Mesa Boogie?" Clever marketing, I know, but that doesn't stop me thinking about it!!