How Loud is 5 Watts???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Jul 23, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Well, I tried the Pro Jr with my tele it was amazingly good to my ears, and thats the reason why I opted for that small amp if I have the money..

For now I wont be able to afford a Twin, its too much for my use, I wont be able to haul it, its just gonna be at home, where it cant be cranked.. so I cant justify even if I save enough.. I'm planning to leave all my guitars to my son when I pass on, but he's currently 9months old and I dont even know if he's right or left handed, LOL, but I plan to purchase good gear (including a twin) so that he wont have the same experience as I did when I was just starting to get into guitars..

Anyway, I'm gonna look into that amp.. but for the budget that I have, I am not sure if I can also afford that.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

It's all really variable, depending on lots of factors. But I think, in general, 5 watts is probably a bit too loud for home use if cranking it, but fine if not. And again, that depends on what your 'home' is. Live in a band context, you'd need to mic it, as you noted.

So, really I think all anyone can say is that what you want is theoretically possible.

Unless someone is already achieving exactly what you want, then personal recommendations are not much use. For example, I have a Vox AC4HW. It breaks up pretty quick. But, I can get nice clean tones at acceptable home volume (as in, at a reasonable time of day it doesn't sound too loud). I guess that could be mic'd up for 'clean live.' But, it is not really the Fender tone you desire. So I don't think this info really helps you if you are set on the Fender sound.*

Really, your best bet is probably just to visit a bunch of music stores and try out amps in this power range and see what you like.

Pax/
    Dean
    * Also, don't compare my experience to the regular AC4C1-12, as they're essentially different amps.

3. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Get a fender champ x2. The closest to a good fender clean tube sound for really low money. It really shines as a head, so you can use a bigger cab, but the combo is fine too, just a bit weak on the bass as most small enclosures are.

5 watts is not capable of gigging with a clean sound. Fine if you use breakup or rock sounds. Or if you play in a setting like Julian Lage I guess :) . Same for pro Junior, it's a struggle to gig with it clean, works ok for blues breakup.

I don't really get the kits of fender clones. First it's not a fender, different quality materials and transformers, so they don't get the sound. Second they cost almost as much as an original used. So they only make sense to me if you want to get into building amps.

I think the ultimate small fender is the Princeton reverb, and I've had all of the small fenders. Eventually try to get one. Also a twin works fine at the house, you just turn it down, and it sounds magnificent!

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

The speaker will have an effect on it but some 5Ws are louder than others. I used to have a Dr Z mini Z and it was ear bleeding loud at home if it was turned up very far.

However, one can purchase an attenuator for under $150 that will take care of the loudness and allow it to be used whisper quiet if needed.

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi agian.

I've never heard one in the flesh, but you might also want to check out the Vox MV50 Clean amp head. It's Fender voiced. They're something like $279 new in Ozlandia. You'd need a cab, but maybe you could make that work for you?

Pax/
    Dean

6. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

You can learn to solder in like 5 minutes, doing it clean is a different matter! LOL
    If you're not familiar with soldering or electronics then most definitely a DIY option is not good for you.

Part of the fun here is to just pick a circuit you like, play with it, and then build your own custom beast. The second you flip that power switch (and you realize you're still alive) that's a moment of glory!

But let me ask if I may, if you can't solder, how are you going to modify the amp?

7. dreamingtele

I like the Vox AC4, but it just breaks up so easily.. but they are good tube amps!

TokyoPortrait and Orpingtons like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Please bear in mind - the OP in in Australia.

$250 Oz won't buy what $US250 will. And anything Brand F will cost +50% even at converted prices. Silverface Champs sell for $800+ and even a AC10 is $499 discounted. If he wants new, choice is limited.

I'd say best bet is the Sweet Baby which can be had $230 delivered from Artist. You can upgrade the speaker and tubes to tweak it.

It does sound somewhere near Fender at reasonable volume, is ok for pedals. Artist are good to deal with on warranty/returns.

9. dreamingtele

I've read about that amp here, there's a lot of good reviews! Cheap, in a sense that I can definitely save up until the end of the year and get it for christmas!

10. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I once tried a Night Train mini (by Vox), nice clean tone but also sort of loud, and that thing was a 2W if I recall correctly. I have the regular Night Train and love it.

These days, there's no use for that JCM head we have.

11. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

You're asking how many dB is 5 watts? For a home 5w is perfect. You can get the much sought after "tube break up" without killing small pets.

12. dreamingtele

I have a beagle, he goes away when I practice.. Its because of my crappy playing.. when my wife sings, he stays and lounge around.

I think I forgot why I wanted this for a home amp,
    Its mainly just for practices, run all of my effects into it, and practice like Im performing, so I just want something I can plug into, but at least be inspired by the tone Im getting.

13. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Here's an interesting chart

40 watts is 94% as loud as 50 watts.
    30 watts is 86% as loud as 50 watts.
    25 watts is 81% as loud as 50 watts.
    22 watts is 78% as loud as 50 watts.
    20 watts is 76% as loud as 50 watts.
    18 watts is 74% as loud as 50 watts.
    15 watts is 70% as loud as 50 watts.
    12 watts is 65% as loud as 50 watts.
    10 watts is 62% as loud as 50 watts.
    9 watts is 60% as loud as 50 watts.
    8 watts is 56% as loud as 50 watts.
    7 watts is 55% as loud as 50 watts.
    6 watts is 53% as loud as 50 watts.
    5 watts is 50% as loud as 50 watts.
    4 watts is 47% as loud as 50 watts.
    3 watts is 43% as loud as 50 watts.
    2 watts is 38% as loud as 50 watts.
    1 watt is 31% as loud as 50 watts.

Daytona.57, radiocaster and bsman like this.
  14. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I went the same route. Scored a Crate VC108 5W modded to run Class A and put a nice 8" Weber in it. I'm happy with it for smaller scale playing. I mean, what's the point of have a 50W with the volume never going over 3?

15. dreamingtele

Ive played a Peavey Classic 50.. I know how loud a 50 watts can sound..

but Im suprised that 5 watts is as loud as 50% of 50 watts.. that would just enough for daytime playing, but loud loud loud for home use crank

joe_cpwe likes this.
  16. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

17. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

This was my experience too, but a Swart 5-watter feels a lot louder. I think it can really come down to the speaker, circuit, and transformers.

GuitarKid likes this.
  18. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Two requests I notice:
    5 watts
    Ability to mod
    That’s two main selling points of the VHT Special 6.
    I liked mine.
    It sounded best at 50% of my Classic 50.
    I only changed the speaker.

horseman308 likes this.
  19. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

How Loud is 5 Watts?

How fast is 200 hp?

Watts isn't a measure of volume, it measures "power". Most of that power being converted to mechanical energy in a transducer, creating sound and heat.

PhredE likes this.
  20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I have two amps in that range. The first, a Kustom Defender Head (EL84) I play into a 16 ohm Fane AXA12 is too loud at the point where it starts distorting for home use. The other, a Wangs VT-5 hand-wired (6V6) is a champ clone, but with a tone stack and pentode/triode switch is perfect for home use. I can get clean or distorted at non-ear-bleed values by choosing my settings carefully. Perhaps part of it is that the Wangs goes through an 8" Celestion "super 8" speaker...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.