1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How loud do some bands play??? Am I old???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dr Improbable, Apr 11, 2021.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Loud is absolutely not an illusion. What does yo yo ma have to do with any of this? If i went to go see Motörhead and they were playing at a whisper volume, I’d feel ripped off.

Why don’t you want music to be a visceral experience that makes you live in the moment and takes you out of the inside of your head?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

A little island in the Caribbean. It’s hideously expensive to get kegs shipped here and returned.

3. cyclopean

Yeah if you don’t have a brewery nearby the shipping on those kegs must be killer.

What’s an lp cost there in USD?

4. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Are you really serious or just being a troll?
    I’m done with this thread

5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I've been to dozens of shows in all sizes of venues where there were bands that were nowhere near loud enough. And quite often on top of a terrible mix. They're called openers. It's total letdown.

I've kind of been thinking about this today, and I would say that in a vast majority of cases, the tones that everyone drools about on this and every other forum, were made by amps that were "too loud". By definition, an amp that's distorting is "too loud". So, whether it was the fabled Layla Champ, or Page's Supro, or Angus' whatever in the studio, you have to ask yourself, would there be this rich, amazing history of rock and roll if no one ever turned their amp up?

I've also heard ear-splitting 40 piece big bands, they're LOUD AS HELL. Any drummer in that genre will tell your their hearing is ruined by horns. No one tells them to turn down.

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

being a lovable very friendly compassionate and considerate member know for my tact and discretion, impeccable manners , polite to a passive aggressive flaw, always willing and able to help ease the suffering of sentient beings. 2,700 years a go there was a guy who looked out from a high tower in his fathers pad, he looked far and wide and back again, and he saw great suffering in the neighborhood and it brought him right down and he said to himself , " Damn,
    This is a mean old world,
    Tryin' to live in by yourself
    This is a mean old world,
    Tryin' to live in by yourself
    Can't get the one you're lovin',
    Have to use somebody else
    I've got the blues,
    Gonna pack my things and go
    Yes, I've got the blues,
    Gonna pack my things and go
    Well I guess you don't love me,
    You're lovin' Mr. So-And-So

and he concluded that that's the blues
    all these cats and kittys got the blues
    and he thinks,
    I know why you're here, I know what you've been doing. and why you sit at your computer. You're looking for it. I know, because I was once looking for the same thing. And when it found me, it told me I wasn't really looking for it I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.
    What must I do end my attachment to my desires What must I do to be free of the judgements of others, what must I do to be free from my own judgements?
    The lock upon my garden gate 's a butterfly, that's what it is
    Attachment to desire is the source of all suffering
    would I pull your leg ? would I play the uncooperative humor card,
    a man once asked me
    "Are you on the hook?
    You'll know when you get off".
    I went out searching and for years I traveled searching the desert roads.
    From one sun blown dust town to the next,
    and what I saw was suffering everywhere I went. Everyone attracted to their desires, just like me.
    The answer was so obvious, just let go , stop grasping, let go. stop struggling for control over a life that isn't yours, not the you that you think that you are, that is not you you are more thank that, more than you know and a shiny 50's mercury pulled up the door opened and from within the dark tinted glass a voice said "get in ,lets go for a ride , I go you covered, I know were your going.
    And here we are rollin slow down a highway with the vultures circling over head, scorpions and rattle snakes, coyotes fluorescent Aztec and Mayan deities glowing in the dusk of of the shimmering sunset, as strange constellations pinwheel across the darkening sky and the spell of the sand, sun, heat and moon slowly moves down my spine thick honey sweet nerves electricized burning with sweet fire vibrations that undulate to ancient peyote rhythms, visions of the elders sitting in the circle opening my life to me.

AFTERSCHOOL SPORTS ACTIVITIES.jpg

7. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Good point here. I think the job of a good opening act is to play good enough to make the headlining band sweat a lil bit. It probably also contributes to a bit of a 'loudness war'.

I saw an interview with Stevie Ray's amp tech. He said 'we would start the show with the amps on 5 or 6, and by the end of the set, everything was maxxed out.' The concert footage was an opening gig for B.B. King. SHeesh imagine the balls it takes to full SRV everything on 10 before BB comes out?..?..

8. tele_savales

Lay off the shrooms, brah.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  9. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

No problem. I'll come down to visit and bring you some kegs. Let me know what kind of beer you like and how many years I can stay at your place.

10. ping-ping-clicka

sssssh, sssssh easy baby , take it easy, ssssh

94b7a0c7792bf083c48772d8be03b531.jpg 70143671-480px.jpg WOLF MOON.jpg two heads  to mirrrs.jpg

11. ping-ping-clicka

that's on you and what's good to you, you like motor head , good on you, don't get me wrong I like getting pulverized on occasion
    can you hear the guitar playing with a full horn section? I like that,
    This America if you want brains over easy or scrambled you can get um any way you like um.

12. tele_savales

13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I went to loud shows when I was younger and our band played loud. Later on we learned to play quiet, too. I like dynamics.

It’s good to be able to play the whole spectrum, depending on the context.

The volume levels of the shows in small clubs I went to as a teenager would not go over at all these days.

However, bands were free back then and didn’t have to worry about every little thing they did or said being potentially used against them on the internet.

It would be really funny to take some of these new “punk rocker” kids to some of the shows I saw back then. They would be running for the door, covering their eyes and ears, getting kicked in the head, shrieking about their cracked-screen phones they will later use to whine about what offended them lately.

14. cyclopean

Why would any of that make you think I’m a troll. Are you a troll?

That’s a really weird insult.

northernguitar likes this.
  15. cyclopean

I promise you, live punk shows are still pretty damn loud most of the time, and i just posted a video in another thread of a punk show with indoor fireworks usage and people swinging from the rafters.

“People are offended” is some really weird flex to try to delegitimize power dynamics shifting in ways they should have decades or centuries ago.

northernguitar, tfarny and StrangerNY like this.
  16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Catchphrases such as “weird flex” are invariably charged with the swarmer-origin baggage of their cultural root, whether Reddit, Twitter, the Chans, etc. They are coded by design to signal a particular ideology and elicit response from the group or groups signaled. There will always be a shifting, as power is mercurial and notoriously elusive to qualify.

I admire your fastidiousness and protectiveness of punk and have enjoyed your input regarding it in other threads.

I have no stake in what is now referred to as “punk.” An unsavory appraisal from a different perspective may be perceived as an attack on the ideology that initially buttressed the genre. My mild diatribe is not directed at the original movement, but rather, the dilettantes. If I was feeling particularly spicy, I might even suggest that punk itself was created by and for dilettantes, but I have a soft spot for those black and white Thrasher magazines.

I know dilettantism all too well, for I was one myself in many areas of my life, and am one even today.

The only safety pins I wore were on my letter jacket (I was Jockorama) and they represented every wrestler that I had dominated on the mat, with the corresponding time inscribed on them. Punk was my soundtrack for that testosterone-fueled adosecence, as I’m sure it still is today for many.

I was a fervent proponent of the genre in my formative years, listened to it constantly, absorbed it’s key principles, and arrived at my own conclusions based on empirical evidence, but I owe it nothing.

I once picked a knife up off a dirty club floor that was used to stab someone (or at least that is what they said,) while Henry Rollins shook his sweat on me, but the dangerousness of punk was not what attracted me to the music in the first place. It was the free expression of ideas that I loved.

A post-internet stage performance (or musical act) is bound under a yoke of significant cultural restraint and social rules that simply were not there a couple decades ago.

Of course, some things are decidedly better for entertainers (and certain groups in general now,) some things worse. Overbearing volume would be among the least offensive facets of a contemporary group in the punk genre, considering overwhelming social hopscotches and initiations of acquiescence inherent in crowd-sourced revaluations.

I am sure there are still intimations of it’s aggression, angst (even self-destructiveness and rebelliousness,) going strong today, just as the carriers of fashion-thought-style torches in other pivotal musical movements must present an updated authenticity.

The trappings of the much-argued terminology of what “punk” supposedly is and is not have been appropriated, hijacked, maligned, and capitalized on by acts such as Avril Lavigne, Blink 182, Green Day, etc. long after it’s relevance to many of it’s seminal voices, and yet, the ironic impetus of punk simply cannot coexist with the same impunity as it’s original namesake in an unreconciled system trenched in convenience, comfort, materialism, and rhetorical sedation.

Mandocaster68 likes this.
  17. cyclopean

Is this Lorem ipsum text or did you just eat a thesaurus?

Blue Bill likes this.
  18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

That’s just me, I learned those words at the same time I was listening to “Lady Sniff” by The Butthole Surfers.

Mandocaster68 likes this.
  19. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Everybody else plays too loud. Not me, I play just right.

A band we were gigging with a few years ago started playing and they set off the car alarms in the parking spaces out front. That's loud.

20. cyclopean

You’re certainly eliding the part of writing that’s about communication.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.