1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How loud do some bands play??? Am I old???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dr Improbable, Apr 11, 2021.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

When I read the “I need to be louder” threads it’s never because a band mate or audience member said that.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  2. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I had a similar experience in Madison, WI back in 1987 (shortly before I graduated from the University of Wisconsin), at a club called Headliners, that I saw Metal Church and Anthrax at. Metal Church opened, and they were loud but not excruciatingly so. They were great, and I especially liked their performance of "Beyond The Black." Anthrax (who I also like) came on. A ridiculously tall backline of 4X12s was revealed when curtains were pulled back. Scott Ian hit a couple of chords to check things out, and all I could say to myself was "oh boy!" I ended up leaving after 3 songs, due to it being so loud, everything sounded like nothing more than a continuous roar in my ears. That's bad - especially considering that even to this day I still like metal (though my musical tastes have become more eclectic over time). My ears didn't quit ringing for 3 days.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  3. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Re first title question ... How loud can be measured. A sound level meter app can be installed on most smartphones. To be precise they should be calibrated but also uncalibrated they can give an indication.

DADGAD likes this.
  4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

I still have all of Metal Church’s vinyl! Great band.

5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Stage volumes are lower than ever at club venues. I don't know who you could mean outside of metal and punk bands, or people who play large outdoor venues.

The volumes I remember in clubs in the 80s and 90s would shock kids today, and it seemed dumb to me even then.
    "If it's too loud, you're too old" used to mean that if you thought it was too loud you were probably too old.
    Now I think it means that if the sound is too loud to be in the venue without earplugs, it's probably the fault of some shriveled rock geezer who's so deaf he can barely hear the winger cassette playing on 10 in his van.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Why would live music be quieter when shows are a normal thing again?

7. cyclopean

Most of what i see in non pandemic years is pretty loud, and i gig with a 135 watt 4x10 combo set to about four on the master volume usually.

The first time I saw swans i could feel the beer in my cup vibrating.

8. cyclopean

Doom metal is really unsatisfying when you can’t hear it with your bones.

_MementoMori_ and Manual Slim like this.
  9. cyclopean

What kind of shows are you at where people are talking over the music, and why would you want to play a show like that?

That’s part of why we have noise interstitials on our backing track - no one gets to talk over without shouting, even between songs.

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’m all for volume. Swans, Melvins, Motörhead, Sleep, High on Fire, and even the previously mentioned Dinosaur Jr. have all contributed to some of my favorite live performance experiences. That one Dino show I walked out of was just silly.

cyclopean likes this.
  11. cyclopean

Hey if dropdead and mk ultra can still bring it, what’s your excuse?

northernguitar likes this.
  12. cyclopean

That bartender should be able to take drink ordered with hand gestures. It’s not that hard. I order like that all the time in non plague years.

13. cyclopean

Don’t know how old they are but most of them were in Larm in the early 80s.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've been gigging 12 watts since early 2000s. The soundguy makes it as loud as it needs to be. Now I'm gigging a 40w bassman head, but I'm playing very, very clean right now. I see other people use a lot of princetons and deluxes, I see isocabs, and then it just gets worse; in ears and D.I. amp sims.

Talking during shows is awful right now. It's everywhere and it sucks. So I appreciate you don't let people talk. But if I have to choose between earplugs or hearing damage, that sucks. Unless it's some kind of metal where feeling the sound is more important than hearing it clearly.

northernguitar likes this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve decided it’s a combo of several factors.

1. They’re lying. I’ve seen this more than anything else. They’re just full of crap. They just want to be louder than everybody else because they’re self important dick bags.

2. Their sound sucks. Dumping all the mids out sounds great at home. In a band mix, it does not work, it sounds awful, and if you wanna hear yourself well, you’re gonna be way too loud.

3. They just don’t know how to play live. I always leave my amp on the floor, cause it sounds better there. De-coupling from the stage rips all the low end out of a guitar amp and just makes it sound annoying. You just have to learn to listen better. I almost never get asked to turn down. It’s exceedingly rare, and is always the result of an unreasonable situation to begin with.

4. Some people can get away with low powered amps in clubs, because they don’t have or want a good clean sound. They want to turn the amp up enough to break up naturally. That’s a valid approach. It’s not the only approach. For about half my gigs, if I can’t play at full band volume with drums and bass and other instruments, with ZERO breakup if I so choose, my amp is underpowered.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  16. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

No excuse.

17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

"Hold it, fellas. I’m afraid you’re just too darn loud."

black_doug and Deathray like this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

How many live music events take place in a space that was designed for that purpose?

Most bars are in old store fronts or warehouses, with "warehouse chic" decor, where the only absorptive surfaces in the room are the audience members. Club owners won't spend money on acoustics or good sound.

cyclopean, NoTeleBob and Jakedog like this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To my experience, when guys say "I Cant hear myself", it is Code for "I can still hear everybody else".

Dr Improbable, Deathray and Jakedog like this.
  20. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

My most recent band gave me tinnitus, which caused me to stop playing in the band. Semi-healed but it's clearly permanent now.

We didn't have a engineer, or a PA/monitor for anything but the vocals, so we'd go old school... everyone sets up, grabs a long cord, and steps out in the audience area to set up as we do a sound check. Show starts and right away the drummer is playing twice as loud, so the bass player turns up, then the other guitarist turns up... I'm standing directly to the edge of my pair of 1x12's stacked and I can't hear myself playing. Literally.

Had a "too loud" discussion with an event DJ not too long ago. Three of us there were on the side of "If I'm at a wedding, I expect to be able to talk to the relatives at the table that I haven't seen in 20 years". He was "No, no, no, once the crowd starts dancing, you have to keep cranking up the volume higher and higher!". There was no middle ground - he apparently knew best.

Saw BB King in a BB King Blues Club 10' from the stage. You could still converse while he played. He was still amazing. ~250 in the club and I didn't hear complaints that you couldn't hear him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.