1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How long were you playing before improvising?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Nafees, May 26, 2011.

1. Nafees

Nafees Tele-Meister

Just wondering?

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, I guess about after a year or so. I remember being invited to sit in
    at a party and the band called out 'Johnny B Goode in A' and I've
    been noodlin' ever since.

3. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Well, probably since day 1, since I had no idea what I was doing!

4. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

From the start almost.
    After learning the guitar basics (CAGED system, open chords, some jazz chords)...about 2 years later I decided to try an play with my church band. Since there's no written music for what is played/sung at our church I had to learn my scales and improvise to play along with the music.

5. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

About ten years. That's what you get when you start off playing classical guitar.

6. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

V V V V---Took MY answer!:lol:

7. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The very first thing I wanted to learn and work on was playing solos.

8. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Almost right away (within 6 months)- a lot of popular music featured improvization when I started playing in the late 60's-if you were a good player it was just part of the deal. Now there doesn't seem to be much improv in pop music, so I suppose there's less impetus for new guitarists to learn how. I still teach it to most of my students, though, since I feel that it's the most fun to be had playing music!

9. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I guess since day one, never had a lesson, no one to show me much (even though my two older brothers were players they wouldn't give me the time of day).

My mother had this record player that had a slide speed adjustment on it, so I used that to learn by. I'd put on a song I wanted to learn, and go at it. I'd slow it down one octave to learn the licks, pick up the chords, etc.

My dad bought me a chord book, that's all I think I had. It was tough being 9 years old, trying to learn guitar on my own. I think it took me a month to figure out how the chord book worked...much less learn the chords.

10. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

I played lead for about 6 years before I started actually improvising, as in "putting a solo together on the spot". It was studying Jimmie Vaughan with the T-Birds that taught me how to improvise. That's when I realized tasty solos can also be simple. Before Jimmie, I was trying to put too much in and crashing/burning.

11. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, I've been playing about 3 years. Mostly accoustic. I got my tele (my one and only electric) back in sept. I started playing every day for an hour or two (only a few days missed) since maybe last July. Eventually, and I don't know what the motivation was to start trying to improv but I think I started trying shortly after I started back playing every day. And it was slow going at first but has gotten better by leaps and bounds. Ande as Muttcaster pointed out, tasty solos can be simple. I started sounding better when I stopped trying to do so much. Of course, I play alone mostly. Improving with other players may be a little more involved. Ussually I let the other players play around me, as they are ussually better guitarists.

12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I started playing at about 8 or 9 and I cannot remember a time when I didn't improvise though I am sure it came along in fits and starts from the first time I picked up the guitar.

13. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

At first I would learn from tabs in guitar magazines. I just learned my favorite riffs without really knowing why anything worked. In 8th grade my friend Zach showed me the minor pentatonic scale and told me about relative minors/majors. In 10th grade my friend/guitar teacher Doug made me flash cards to help me memorize chord spelling.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

After about 6 months of playing guitar. I put together a band right away, and got serious real fast.

I also improvised on the piano. Once, I was learning Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, but got sidetracked into improvising on the chord structure. That made a big impression when I played it in church, causing the organist to tell my Sunday School class that I had a gift from God. I always mocked that whenever I told the story. Yet, it really helped me through times of doubt as I grew older.

A few years ago, our university TV channel showed a kid jamming away on the piano, very free form. As the music began to take form, I realized that he also had been improvising on Moonlight Sonata. Nice, I thought.

15. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

pretty much right away.

Didn't sound like much till I learned a pentatonic scale or two. then, that was all it sounded like.:D

What kind of improvising are you talking about here? Pulling off a bluesy solo on a I-IV-V, coming up with interesting fills behind a singer over a chord progression that may or may not stay diatonic, grateful dead hour mixolydian jams, or giant steps at 280 bpm?

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Awesome. Learning chord spellings is not big deal. You just have to work at it a little. Flash cards are perfect for that.

17. Nafees

Nafees Tele-Meister

To the point where you improvised well enough that you would share it with others (family, YouTube?) just basic improv. Even just putting licks that sounded good together?

18. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

+1

19. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

A few weeks after I started lessons. My teacher started me with Led Zeppelin I & II as teh basis for rock soloing.

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Right away, I have talent. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.