How long should nitro cure before installing hardware

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LE_FREEK22, Mar 31, 2020.

1. LE_FREEK22

LE_FREEK22 NEW MEMBER!

Hello everybody,
    I have recently sprayed my first electric guitar with nitrocellulose lacquer. I have given it around 3 coats of primer and 5 coats of color. I don't intend to sand or buffer it, as I am happy with the finish as it is - and I kinda like the rough look of a used guitar.

It has been during for 5 days now and im thinking of installing the hardware, as I don't intend to buffer it. What are the consequences of doing so?

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It depends on how the finish was applied, in what environments, and what materials were used. If you applied proper thin, dusty coats, not flood coats throughout, and you used a lacquer that dries very quickly, then you should be able to install hardware the next day. If, OTOH, you flooded it with Deft, it'll never really dry fully.

Just use common sense, for the most part. Feel the finish under where the hardware will mount.

Hardware almost always leaves some sort of mark on lacquer...but it's under the hardware, so it doesn't matter.

eallen likes this.
  3. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

If it's tough enough for you to put your thumbnail into it without marking, then it's good enough. If it still feels soft, give it a few more days.

4. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

I'd give it two weeks...waiting is the hardest part. Why don't you want to wet sand and buff ? I assure you that wet sanding and buffing will give you a great finish instead of a finish that looks like something that you're happy with...

emisilly and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  5. PapaWheelie

PapaWheelie Tele-Meister

I would also wait at least a couple weeks. I wait at least a month.
    I've read that if you let it hang until you can no longer smell the lacquer it means it has finished most of the gassing off and you should be safe.

tweeet and emisilly like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.