How long must water based dye dry before applying tru-oil?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by koolimy, Aug 12, 2019.

1. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

Hello, I have been making a telecaster from thefretwire.com

I have already dyed the guitar using angelus leather dyes - which I believe are water/alcohol based aniline dyes.

I have waited about 16 hours after dying my body, but I found that when I wipe the body with tru-oil, some of the dye bleeds onto the rag.

How long must I wait to apply tru-oil? Thanks for any replies.

Attached Files:

PingGuo likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would give it at least a few days in warm weather.
    I have applied tru oil over amber tinted necks a day later but bodies tend to soak up more water than a hard maple neck would.

rangercaster, koolimy and nojazzhere like this.
  3. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

Okay, thanks! It sucks that I already applied a coat to the back, but maybe have to just live and learn. Hopefully one coat of tru oil won't cause other problems down the road.

4. Chunkocaster

It should be ok, I imagine the finish will just end up looking cloudy if there is still too much moisture in the wood. I would leave the rest for a few days to be safe.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Before you proceed I'd try that on scrap.

I'd worry that the TO is gonna pick up your dye regardless.

Or maybe a thin coat of shellac?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

The dye mixing with the tru oil is not that much of a problem. I add undiluted colortone liquid stain directly to tru oil to tint necks and it works fine. The moisture from the added water is what I would be concerned about along with possible streaky or blotchy looking stain job if the tru oil picks up too much of the dye.

koolimy and bender66 like this.
  7. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

Thanks for the comments. What are the potential problems if the moisture can't escape due to the coat of tru-oil? Could there be mold, etc.?

8. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wait!

Isn't anybody going to say it....?

That guitar looks flipping GREAT!

that's going to looks so so so good once you get the TO on there.

Anyhow, like others said, you could seal it with shellac if you find the TO is picking up too much of the dye even after a few days. But you'll probably be fine in a few days time.

koolimy and nojazzhere like this.
  9. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

Thanks! I appreciate the comment. I actually just followed this video, and it was surprisingly easy to do!

PingGuo likes this.
  10. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I just refinished a neck with Angelus dyes and tru-oil. I waited 24 hours for the dye to dry before starting with the tru-oil and the first 2 coats still picked up a small amount of color. It seemed to me like it was just dried dye that hasn't absorbed but it didn't seem to affect the final product.

koolimy and SecretSquirrel like this.
  11. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

My biggest worry is the tru oil picking up the darker colors and bleeding them into the lighter colors. I'm guessing there was no problem with the dyes getting smudged onto other parts of the neck?

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The issue might not be "drying" but instead the dye you used is probably going to re-dissolve in the solvent in your wipe-on varnish no matter how long you wait (don't be offended by my calling TruOil a varnish, the point is it is a mixture of oil and other things particularly solvent). Any wiping finish runs this risk. You sort of have to apply the first coat carefully, let it dry, then hope the dye is locked in so it won't bleed further.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can pick up a moisture meter at Harbor Freight or on Amazon for about $15-25. I always measure moisture content prior to coating or staining (Tru Oil is more a Danish Oil stain than a finish - there's VERY little film build).

The acceptable limit for moisture content is 11%, although some of us use 8%since you can't test every square inch.

If it's over 11% - it's not dry. Simple as that.

14. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

None at all. It did lighten the color slightly overall. You can see pictures here --> https://www.tdpri.com/threads/douglas-gravity-rebuild.965042/#post-9252637

15. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I waited for a few days before applying the next coats, while trying to wipe as much of the dye off as possible with a dry cloth. The first coat still picked up a lot of dye, but subsequent coats picked up nothing. I'm guessing it's part of using dyes. I tried as best to wipe downward so that the darker colors wouldn't blend, and it seemed to work out okay.

Nonetheless, I'm finding myself having a different problem. I'm finding that both my neck and body are feeling a little sticky. Is it normal for tru-oil to feel a little sticky, even after 2 days? The neck feels stickier than the body, probably because the body is much more porous.

16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's a random issue - happens sometimes and not in others. If it doesn't dry fully after 4-5 days there may be a compatibility problem between the Tru Oil and whatever was used to let down the stain (or its base if it was used straight.). Was ANY other material sed - sealer, filler etc?

17. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

No, nothing other than the dyes were used on the body. The neck had nothing else but sanding. The neck is especially puzzling because I was putting on really thin coats (put it on w/ cloth, and wipe away almost everything) and usually waited at least 16+ hours before applying the next coat. I have around 8-10 coats on the neck, and about 2-3 coats on the body.

I'm wondering if I'm being a bit paranoid. My only reference is a MIM strat which has a silky smooth, glass like neck. Is it normal to have a little bit of resistance when moving your hand up and down the neck? I also feel like the tru-oil neck gets stickier the more I sweat, which doesn't happen w/ the strat.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.