1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How long is a Tonemaster amp designed to last? FACTS ONLY.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guildguy516, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good point!

Interestingly, I just put an old, Harvest Gold, rotary dial phone in the garbage today. It worked perfectly when taken down. I prefer my smartphone even though it cannot be repaired.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't think it's how long it will last, it's how long is the product supported. Can Tonemaster 2.0 be far behind, now featuring BlueTooth and Downloadable Configurations from your favorite Artists? It's either that, or heck just raise prices. And PS...my 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue guts are vastly different from the 1965 Original Deluxe Reverb I had as a kid. Not built better, just a whole lot cheaper. Sounds great though!

3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Yup, and if you adjust what they cost for inflation, you paid a small fortune for that durability.

The lowest-priced, 14.1 cubic foot, frost-free refrigerator/freezer at Sears in 1975 ran about $320, which is just above $1,600 in today's dollars. The same product at a big-box home improvement store runs about $600, which is a bit more than 60% less. Some of that difference can be attributed to improvements in manufacturing, but the rest comes from cost-cutting.

Why do manufacturers cut costs? It's pretty simple: we demand it. Give the people what they want.

Every time there's a thread (here and elsewhere) about some new product that costs more than a hundred or two dollars, you can practically set your watch by the appearance of the first post complaining about the price. Manufacturers know this because they do market research and ask what people want to pay for the things they buy. Knowing that helps them develop products that will sell. When your target audience makes it clear that low price is their top priority, you get products engineered for that and manufactured in far-away places where the labor is cheap. Durability's not really on the radar.

I'd gladly shell out $1,600 for a no-frills refrigerator that would last 30 years. It's 17% less expensive than buying a new one for $650 every ten years, to say nothing of whatever value you put on not having to go through the inconvenience and aggravation of an appliance failure.

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

"It's a shame that their example is not the standard for todays gear." It is, and the price in todays dollars is much cheaper than it was in the "old days", relative to todays income levels.
    If purchased after Jan 1, 2017 the warranty is 2 years.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's covered by Sweetwater's in-house 2 year warranty. As best I could tell, Headrush's warranty is only 90 days.

I used my Bandit with various modelers for years, starting with a Tech 21 SansAmp in the mid 90's. I probably should have had it fixed but I was attracted by a new and shiny object.

Jakedog and northernguitar like this.
  6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I think there's some measure of repairability built into these despite what some might think. For example, people griped about it using a standard, widely available ICE power amp instead of something proprietary. But that means the power amp can be readily replaced without Fender having to maintain a huge backlog of stock.

If they're using regular pots and jacks, then the most difficult part is a low-voltage main board. My guess is that that could be upgraded at any time as long as it runs the firmware - you don't need all new software every time you buy a new PC!

7. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

I need my car for work so rely upon it behaving properly every day, and for this reason I change it when it gets to a certain mileage or age. The problem is that cars are updated and I don't just get a like-for-like replacement, but have to consider new models.

The Tone Master is relatively cheap and I suspect will remain unchanged in its faithful representation of a 65 Deluxe or whatever Twin, so a new one should be identical to the last, and used prices are strong.

If I was concerned about such things as a gigging musician, I would simply sell up every couple of years and pay the additional $150 for a new one, and that's a whole lot easier than changing a car. Offset that cost against normal regular servicing of a valve equivalent amp, and it probably breaks even.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

When I say unsupported I mean that the Fender Fuse has been killed off.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Question: how many of you have actually had to have an amp repaired?

I lost count of how many gigs I’ve done a long time ago. I’ve had exactly two amp failures. One was a blown rectifier tube. The other one was a circuit repair...of an expensive, hand built boutique amp.

Why isn’t there similar discussion about stuff like powered PA speakers, which cost in some cases far more than a Tone Master amp.

ataylor, sax4blues and MilwMark like this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All gear is designed to last until the precise moment you are $200 short to replace it.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

o.k. I'll dumb as a post for a little longer, I've never been in the industry so I don't know what you know, an experienced pro, but please is my suggest that a higher standard of construction or a higher spec. is that asking to much?
    I was a machinist and on an NC turret lathe I could crank out tolerances that were plus or minus .005 all day long any thing below that standard didn't go out the door.
    I know the manufactures can build a more enduring mouse trap but it would cut into the profit margin, maybe.

AFTERSCHOOL SPORTS ACTIVITIES.jpg

12. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

It's impossible to really say when the product has only been out for 2 years.

That said, I have a 20+ year old Marshall solid state amp that has only required a spray of Deoxit on the pots.

sax4blues and MilwMark like this.
  13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

HX Effects - 'nuff said ;)

northernguitar likes this.
  14. bgmacaw

I don't consider $1000 "relatively cheap". I would put the Mustang series amps in the "relatively cheap" column.

Thorne and Marc Morfei like this.
  15. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

If it requires any proprietary software that won’t be supported for more than a few years, I’m not interested. I don’t think the actual hardware will have an issue, I have various PODs that are still alive and well after 15+ years, but of course updated software is nowhere to be found. It’ll probably still work in the most basic sense of “does it make sound”...

Thorne, bgmacaw and northernguitar like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

this thread is all speculation-in response to an unreasonable and unrealistic foot-stomping demand for things that simply don't happen on the internet :confused:o_O

17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Oh, c'mon! Get it accurate! You didn't include the exact second! :rolleyes::p:D:D

Ignatius likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

I just had my 1973 Princeton Reverb refurbished. New caps and tubes and worn wires to the reverb tank were fixed.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  19. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

yeah, from maker's p-o-v, durability is a problem, because if a user can actually buy it once, well . . .

similar circumstance in high-end bikes: ya don't crash it a frame's pretty much a lifetime good. which sucks for the makers. So, they havta convince buyers that there's something out there that makes that lifetime good obsolete, useless, uncool: (which explains the push to hydraulic disc brakes--marginally better performance in some circumstances, much more difficult to service & require new everything.)

OR, that user needs 5 or 6 different bikes for different 'disciplines.' Same phenomena apply to in guitars. Now, product defectiveness is still a problem, but as this thread shows, the durability of previous iterations of Fender amps is a marketing problem for current amp production. Of course, as this forum also shows, most guitarists have been successfully socialized into the "i need n+1 guitars, amps, and pedals for all of the different stuff i play" habit.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m not sure how relevant the Mustang or Fuse or whatever discussion is. Whether Fender obsoleted a cheap digital amp that was its own product line is a very different scenario. Are they going to obselete their flagship digital rendition of their flagship 50+ year old amps? Really doubt it.

Drew617, Marc Morfei and Boreas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.