1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How long is a Tonemaster amp designed to last? FACTS ONLY.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guildguy516, Apr 7, 2021.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

OP, it's pretty obvious that the only people who MIGHT know the answer to your question are the engineers who made it, and God to predict the future for you. It's blatantly obvious to everyone - isn't it - that all OTHER new tech like TVs and computers is not designed to last a lifetime, and handwired tube amps are a relic of another age and way of thinking about goods and services. As you know already.

My guess is that if you buy one of these with the expectation that it will still be your gigging amp in twenty years you will be disappointed - but that's only my guess, based on all my experiences with consumer electronics. I don't own the Sony walkman I bought in the 1980s, but I don't really miss it either.

PS I allow that lack of longevity is a major disadvantage of the modern stuff. I am very unlikely to ever buy a guitar with a microchip in it for that same reason. But there are a lot of advantages to the new gear as well, and a lot of the old gear actually didn't last a lifetime at all either - I recently started a whole thread about Silvertone, Magnatone etc. amps and I learned a lot.

Ronzo likes this.
  2. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

They were introduced in late September of 2019. If you want facts only . . . most of them last about a year and a half and possibly longer.

3. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I usually buy a guitar amp for the sound and functionality..and looks. How long gear lasts is a minor factor. The TMDR, and the TMTR I have are well made from an electronic point of view as I would expect from a large manufacturer, and I expect they will give years of good service.

As an old tech, I have worked with a lot of digital DSP based pro audio gear- digital consoles, audio processors for concert PAs, digital mixers in studios etc, gear that is in constant use day in, day out in fixed installations, or on tour, and it is mostly very reliable. I have a 25 year old PC at home that still works fine when I fire it up.

davidchagrin and MilwMark like this.
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I think the information you’re looking for would have to get leaked from Fender to be available somewhere like here.

Jersey Joe and Ronzo like this.
  5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Here in the UK there are no service parts available for Fender pcb amps. If a board or transformer goes south during the waranty period, the amp gets returned to base and ends up as landfill. After that period, the customer is on their own.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

My Fender Mustang III is going on 7 years now. All buttons, dials, functions, etc. working just fine.

7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

The fact of the matter is that in 2 years they will have the version 2 which will make the first generation obsolete. The ones that do last will be worth a quarter of what they were new and much too expensive to fix if they do go bad. If they were at the $400 price range they might be worth a look IMO.

8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

It is not a problem really. When your 2021 digital amp fails in 20 years you rip out the guts and replace them with a custom hand wired 1961 version. Which will be good until 2081, at least.

9. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

You're asking a question that has no data to satisfy you.

My brother called me the other day, and was griping about the Ford dealership jerking him around on his Ford Bronco pre-order.

I told him to take it as a sign and cancel it..... Beta testing is fine when it's a free trial of software.

Big ticket items? Not as much.

But honestly, for just a solid state guitar amp... I would have no problem being an early adopter.

Southpaw Tele and PCollen like this.
  10. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

It’ll probably be superseded by something else in five years or less. Doesn’t mean you won’t still be playing it.

My Roland Cube is my around the house amp and I have no urge to sell it and get a Katana.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perhaps I can simplify this:

these are pretty clearly not the amps for you.

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand this thinking. Do you expect your car to last forever? Or your appliances or water heater, furnace, and AC? No, of course not, so why should you expect a guitar amp to? If it costs $1000 and it lasts five years, that's $200 a year, which works out to 55 cents a day. That's a pretty good investment in my mind.

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I have daily use electronic music gear with buttons, switches, sliders and knobs that have worked flawlessly for 40 or so years. Most of it Yamaha. :) synths, sequencers, rack fx, etc. Same with hifi gear.

if it is app controlled or uses any proprietary physical connection, that might limit it well before the electronics themselves fail. If it can be all controlled in a self contained way - all the better.

i’d be expecting 10-20 years life and possibly much more from any well made electronics.

Thorne, Pcs264, Ronzo and 5 others like this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

YES it should. Of course!!

You are buying a car, not a licence for a certain time. AND you should be able to repair it. If it cost 1000€ and it last 50 years, that's 20€ a year, witch works out 0.05 cents a day. That's a pretty better investment in my mind.

Here, in the EU some laws are dropped do achieve this:

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/ar...s-right-to-repair-rules-for-electrical-goods/

My car is 20 years old, my Twin Reverb is 31 years old, my Harley is only 14 years old but YES, I pretend them to last forever (or as long as me). Well, at least the motorbike, I don't give a damn for cars

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Some scientific gear from a big manufacture tests there gear to see how long it will last, nasa, the defense industry, they test their products for wear and tear. This product will function for this many hours prior to failure , fighter planes some components, jet engines are know to last for so many hours and then they are automatically replaced before the end of there replacement date.
    High Watt amps were originally assembled to government spec by a company that was a government spec builder. I think High Watt was renowned for their reliability
    It's a shame that their example is not the standard for todays gear.

maos rancid bacon breath.jpg

IDTele likes this.
  16. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Digital amps aren't meant to be serviced, period!

Mark1406 and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  17. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

It‘s like a PC or a Smartphone. You know how long they‘ll last because they aren‘t built to last. They‘re built to be replaced after 2 years or a bit later.

18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Run those numbers again with a Custom Shop Handwired amp!

Mark1406 likes this.
  19. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I can report that all my good electronic stuff lasts forever: boss looper pedal, telephones, cameras, washingmachines. Since I switched to led-lightbulbs years ago I have not changed one out. I expect my Tonemaster to be the same. If it breaks, I will send a friendly letter to fender.

Fuelish and davidchagrin like this.
  20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I, like many folks here, am the owner of a Mustang IIIV2.
    It still works for the moment.
    My G-DEC died.
    I feel the TM amp line is destined to follow a similar career path as the Mustang series
    Unsupported by Fender, unloved by everyone rushing out for the next big thing and worth a very small percentage of the original purchase price.

Bill, CapnCrunch and bgmacaw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.