1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How long is a Tonemaster amp designed to last? FACTS ONLY.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guildguy516, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Astrovanallen

Astrovanallen TDPRI Member

That’s very promising then. Thanks for the information. I think one thing that separates these amps from other digital amplifiers is that they don’t rely on anything exterior to themselves, operating systems or interface technology and don’t even rely on screens. If you like how they sound, you like it and it won’t become obsolete in any way as long as it keeps working. I think that’s the better way to do this stuff and I hope that there’s more of it. If the chip can really be unplugged and swapped out and everything else is repairable, that would be really better than one can even expect in my opinion. That’s also good info that they have a heatsink. Something like this really shouldn’t need one at all. I can’t imagine the progressing ever getting overloaded as it seems like they’ve also gone overkill with the cpu power too.

ataylor and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This post and the one you quoted above yours, sure sound like common sense observations about these amps. Thanks!

ataylor likes this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The Tone Masters are hobbled into being one-trick ponies on purpose. For the market they went after with the product, Fender made the right choice.

That said, there's little that would prevent them from turning the platform into something like the Katana, complete with a counterpart to Boss Tone Studio. All it would take is a different software load. That's one of the really cool things about software; it's malleable enough that you can make drastic changes to what a box like a Tone Master does without having to change the hardware.

I'll stick my neck out and predict that we'll see the same guts in more-sophisticated amplifiers.

The amusing part is that when something in a guitar amp needs a heat sink, it's usually in one of the make-it-loud parts.

If I remember correctly, Fender said that the CPU is four cores. One runs the amp model, one runs the IRs for the direct out and two run the reverb model. Reverb is a computationally-intensive process when done well. Based on a 30+-year career writing software, some for signal processing systems, and what I think they could be using for a processor, they've left lots of compute cycles in reserve for the future. This is a good thing any way you look at it.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

This thread is so long that a circuit board failed in the interim. PTP unite!

Electric Warrior likes this.
  5. Astrovanallen

Astrovanallen TDPRI Member

It’s four cores. We’re probably at the point where they wouldn’t of even saved much money using cheaper parts with the computer stuff. That’s correct about the 4 cores I believe.

I think that fender already has the Katana multi-model platform down in the mustang, but that’s partly marketed as a budget or at least mid-priced digital offering whereas the deluxe is supposed to be their answer to the top of the top current digital modelling. I think they could do a pro price point multi-fx platform soon, but probably not until more people will pay that much and I’ll bet part of the reason they offered the tonemaster as an expensive one trick pony is because they know that the deluxe reverb is a brand people respect and have always been willing to pay 1000 plus dollars for vs making a new brand or a better made mustang that’s less likely to be successful.

I’d love them to get in to Helix type devices even. Another thing that makes the tonemaster so great though in my experience is that it doesn’t have the downside of multi effects and amps in that it’s one model that is designed to work with one cab and speaker plus a few ir’s that model that setup. So many modelling options can be hit or miss or at least require a lot of user tinkering because you’ve got 50 amps and then either one speaker / cab or some unknowable one you’ve got to buy yourself and a bunch of ir’s trying to model speakers and cabs for all those amps, through that. A pine 1x12 is the biggest draw for me with the tonemaster.

Regardless, I think we will see the guts of the tonemaster or similar in a different form factor. Personally would love to just see Fender get in to software at that point, I have plenty of different computer processors already and physical controls. Just let me buy the software.

Blrfl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.