1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How long is a Tonemaster amp designed to last? FACTS ONLY.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guildguy516, Apr 7, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

And the irony of that is that the Vibro Champ XD and Super Champ XD/X2 DON'T use a rotary encoder! He's talking about the kind used on the Mustangs and G-Decs! mustang-gt-40-120v-top-angle-100721755-orig.jpg Fender-Mustang-GTX50-Combo-4.jpg 2354000000v1_hi-b2456e446d8e98d6cc8e31c1ee771aba.jpg

2. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

My amp guy never steers me wrong. He definitely knows what he's talking about. I am downsizing anyway, and I still have plenty of artillery, so it won't be missed.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You sir, are an anachronism!

Products are already almost all disposable, it's only the nutty hope that humans cling to that lasts.

Round these parts you have to PAY to get rid of a not too old smart TV.
    FIX one?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    (I have at least three, one just has a broken off cable connection which doesn't matter since cable no longer connects now that analog was shut down)

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Can't help myself, if something breaks I gotta at least try fixing it. I know nothing about modern electronics. :)

I'm just old enough to remember when the TV repair man made house calls. Those old tube TVs were fixable and we had old TVs. The old man finally broke down and bought a new SS TV about 1976, a 12in black and white because he's a cheap SOB. We never saw the TV guy again.
    That stupid little B&W TV lasted for years. Whole famdamily sitting around watching Little House on the Prairie on every week.
    If you made kids watch a 12 inch black and white TV today, child protective services would intervene.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, tube TV in the mid '70s?

Whole family ANACHRONISM!

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

He IS up in Minnesota (says the Michigan guy....)

telemnemonics and BobbyZ like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

For FACTS ONLY you will have to contact the Fender Engineer. And my guess is there was not stated design life. Just a budget.

Chiogtr4x and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  8. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Want it to last? Store it in a cool dry place.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The one trick pony is the guitar player, not the equipment.

northernguitar, 11 Gauge and Ignatius like this.
  10. BobbyZ

I did mention my dad was cheap right? The TVs were old then and we actually lived in Iowa at the time.
    My earliest TV memory is having two sets, a big one with a little one on top. One had sound, one had picture, of course the little one had the picture! We were in northwest Iowa then and got four channels, all three networks and PBS. You grabbed both channel dials and twisted simultaneously.
    Things got easy when we moved back to Minnesota in '77. Just had the 12in black and white and only got one channel. Well there was a snowy PBS if the phase of the moon was right and all the starts aligned.
    Kids in junior high were all talking about this great show called Dukes of Hazard, if they had cable! I only got to see it in the summer when I was on the road working with dad and the motel had TV. Outside of Daisy Duke I thought it was pretty stupid, but at about 13 I watched it every chance I had just to see Daisy. :)

corliss1 and telemnemonics like this.
  11. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Great to know! I have a Super Champ XD and a G-Dec and I really like both. I'll try to be more gentle with those rotary knobs...

northernguitar likes this.
  12. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

My estimate for the design life of a Fender Tone Master is four (4) years. More than half of them will last at least eight (8) years. If you buy one, burn it in even more than Fender does. Fender constantly competes against it's used amps but they struggle to stay out in front of custom builders. You don't need a wave solder machine to make a reliable high end amp with a lifetime warranty.

this_grackle likes this.
  13. Astrovanallen

Astrovanallen TDPRI Member

So long as you don’t accidentally break anything and you don’t get a dud that has a manufacturing defect, I would think that these would last a very long time. Probably as long as the capacitors, which unless they’re using inferior ones on purpose should be far more robust than any vintage audio equipment capacitors. The other thing that goes on vintage amps that is a big problem is the transformer, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue with these either. The speaker can be replaced. The pots seem to be pretty robust. Those would be my guess along with the capacitors for failure. The circuit board otherwise can probably last indefinitely, but I also bet you can’t replace the capacitors.

14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I'd be on the opposite side of that bet but I'm curious what makes you say that.

15. Astrovanallen

Astrovanallen TDPRI Member

I’m speaking of whatever capacitors are in the chip itself. I could be totally wrong, and hopefully I am - but I believe that it isn’t really possible to open up integrated chips and replace parts. Once the computer section of the amp goes, I would guess that’s it. However, I also would think that could take a very, very long time. Other capacitors I would assume can he fixed. If you know better or anyone else, it would be cool to know.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My concern on that side is that Fender contracted building the ToneMaster amps to a firm in China. It is common for suppliers over there to slip in bad batches of components, especially to keep from losing face by missing a delivery schedule. While I would expect Fender has sufficient QC at the final product level, are they doing this at the component level as well? If so, that would help justify the hefty price tag.

That Cal Webway and BobbyZ like this.
  17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

LMAO - we had the same setup !!

BobbyZ likes this.
  18. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Oh, yeah, you definitely don't do that. Integrated circuits are parts unto themselves that can't be serviced. Everything's etched onto a bit of silicon, so failures mean the entire part is replaced like you'd replace a pot or a tube. The capacitors in ICs don't have the same kinds of problems as the electrolytics you find in power supplies and aren't likely to cause trouble.

Maybe not. In the Tone Master, the computer is on a card called a system on a module (SOM) that plugs in the same way you'd add a stick of memory to a PC. Fender is very likely using an off-the-shelf unit, so a spare would snap right in. The type of SOM they're using doesn't usually require a heat sink; Fender put a pretty hefty one on there, so they either recognized a need for one or over-engineered it for longevity.

ICs that make it past the first few dozen hours of use and aren't being run at the hairy edges of their specs should last an exceedingly-long time. Even at 50+ years old, the technology is new enough that we know it lasts decades; the jury's still out on whether or not it will be centuries. I've seen spec sheets for storage ICs that estimate 200-year data retention, which is probably based on an understanding of how the materials used to build it degrade over time.

The rest of the components are run-of-the-mill through-hole and surface-mount, neither of which are difficult to replace with the proper tools. Unlike tube amps, almost all of it is low-voltage, which helps with longevity.

Jakedog and ataylor like this.
  19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

In the future? Disposable implies human made, IMO. Humans make things for use. When said use is no longer practical nor desired, it's thrown out, left to rot or rust, recycled, etc...

I suspect that many monoliths still visible in UK were not designed to be in use forever. They're just too darn heavy to move. Preservation is a very modern phenomenon in the overall human evolution time line. Started to occur right about the time of coal/steam automation and large scale industrialization. That is, when machines became big enough to move monoliths without breaking a sweat.

There's a fine line between archaeologist and Sanford and Son.

Tonemaster? I'd have one if I relied on playing guitar for money. And if and when it expired, I'd use the cab for something. It's not MDF. Big plus there.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  20. BobbyZ

This popped up on my YouTube suggestions thing. Don't know the guy and don't know if he knows what he's talking about. Anybody can post videos on YouTube !
    Ok Let's Go!

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.