How long in cast for broken fibula?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My wife broke her leg last week, and had a piece of metal and six screws attached to her fibular. She is in a cast now, and was just wondering how long she'll have the cast on? This is an old-school cast, but she also has a velcro one that she got in the emergency room.

2. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Kinda depends on where and how severe the break is.

I'd say if she had a plate and screws then its probably a pretty serious break. Several weeks probably.

3. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Surgeon probably has an idea

Georox, Bill and robt57 like this.
  4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear about that Larry, but the doc should've advised you about that. I'd call him, not ask a bunch of old guitar guys in cargo shorts :cool:

uriah1, Mechanic, Georox and 4 others like this.
  5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

A hell of a lot quicker healing than it would be for someone my age..If I broke a leg it I probably wouldn't live long enough for it to heal..

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it can vary quite a bit, and particularly on the reduction and plate placement etc. I can say I once had a non displaced [no surgery, no cast] Tibial plateau tib/fib I had to keep weight off for 16 weeks. Crutches, and a knee brace to limit knee movement. Long enough my right leg turned into flaccid flabby shrunken ugliness. My leg looked more like my arm for 6 months, and a Cole Lobster for a year probably. ;)

7. luckett

luckett Banned

She can remove the cast at home with a box cutter whenever she feels like it. The screws can be removed with a #2 phillips drill bit after one week, but be careful that you don't strip the screw heads. I can speak authoritatively on this topic because I own a Tele. Just let me know if you need any other medical advice.

Larry F, Obsessed, troy2003 and 5 others like this.
  8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Age of patient & severity of break have a lot to do w/ it.
    I had the odd honor of breaking my legs @ age 10, 12 & 14 when healing was fast, despite weird spiral fracture (ski twist) and good fortune (no growth plate disturbance).
    Factors that affect cast-time in adults include other health issues (does she smoke? High bmi? Other genetic lotto tix?)

Treat her kindly; she probably really hates this new "fashion accessory" on her leg.
    Peace - Deeve

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Ask the Doc.

troy2003 likes this.
  10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

My take is that the plates VS my non displaced fracture, in which the main concern was use causing it to displace being avoided.

The plate and screws make the reduction more stable right away, and the fibula does not bear weight like the tibia. So each situation is totally different and the bone DR/daddy can really only comment with specific prognoses.

Also my main fracture was at top of Tibia in the knee joint, so it was a gift it was non displaced and for the bad luck of having broke my leg, that was some good luck really. I also had 3 fractures at the top of the fibula, and it had dislocated and popped back in when the ski patrol loaded me on the sled. Man, that knee blew up like a balloon too!

Some purty pics: [and brace type used instead of cast thank God]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well I don't have any idea about the cast, but I'd venture a guess at 6-8 weeks.

Really sorry to hear she got hurt, Larry. Hope she heals up quickly.

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Best wishes to your bride for a speedy recovery Larry .

13. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

As others have said, ask the Doc, best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

14. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Well, I broke my kneecap a couple of weeks ago and I'm out of the cast already. There is a brace, to be sure, but the cast is off.

Fibula? if it was a clean break and was set well it shouldn't be too long. The hard part will be, as others have said, the rehab. Even after only a week my leg is weak and will need PT. Good luck!

15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My wife has broken her fibula three times, most recently last week. This time, it was a minor fracture with no displacement or surgery. The worst break, with the added hardware, required about six weeks of crutches and a cast. This time she rented a knee scooter, which is easier than crutches for some situations, such as where she can stay on one floor.

This has got to be tough on you. Get some household help to assist with shopping, food prep and clean up and laundry.

16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Great Aunt the fell and broke her leg at 97 years of age . She was told that she would never walk again . 6 weeks later , she was back on her feet again . When she fell , she was carrying a load of wet wash out to hang on the solar dryer . Tough old broad . :cool:

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Of course she'll ask the doc, probably already has. She's a little anxious sometimes and gets details flustered when things pile up for her. She just idly wondered last night how much longer she would be wearing the cast. I could have gone through the discharge papers, but I wanted to show off to her how expert in a wide range of topics we are in this forum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.