How long from China? - Take a guess!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by johmica, Oct 23, 2021.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I just got shipping notifications for two recent guitar purchases - cheapo-s coming from China (as I've mentioned in another thread, I'm wanting to learn how to level frets, adjust truss rods, intonate, etc., so I've ordered a couple of beaters to learn on). They shipped early last week. Given that they're coming freight from Beijing and also given our crumbling infrastructure (said in my best Bernie voice), how long do you guys think it'll take before they show up on my doorstep? January?

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

How are the being shipped? In a container or on an airplane?

In normal times if they're coming in a container I'd say they'd hit the states in a month and you'd see it a week or two after. By plane you're talking 7 to 14 days. Nowadays...boat could be 4 or 5 months and plane could be...well I'm not sure. I do this as a function of my job (not an expert by any means), but I only deal with European imports. The market from Asia is much more congested than Europe, but the Atlantic side is slowing down more and more too.

nojazzhere and johmica like this.
  3. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I can only assume that they'll arrive in one of our congested ports. They're cheap guitars and shipping was free, so I doubt that they're getting a flight.

I'm in no hurry - I knew what I was getting into when I ordered them. I was just wondering what folks thought.

Toadtele likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've bought some cheap necks from China in the past and they took a couple of months a few years ago. I'm gonna guess January.

johmica likes this.
  5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

On Sept 24th the WSJ reported: "...an 83% increase in the time it takes a container to travel between China and its final U.S. destination, according to Israel-based freight company Freightos."

johmica likes this.
  6. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Last I heard is 70 days, so maybe by the new year.

johmica likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had stuff I ordered take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3+ months.

Has nothing to do with the means of transport. Sometimes it's by plane and takes a long time because it's held up somewhere at some airport..

The reason they do this is because they use non-priority shipping which is cheaper. Sometimes they offer a faster option, but what's the point of paying as much as the item?

I've had small guitar parts from the US take over a month too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    kodiakblair and johmica like this.
  8. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

LOL which January?

OmegaWoods, Deeve, Dismalhead and 3 others like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’m still waiting for living room chairs I ordered from North Carolina 7 months ago. I think they’re waiting for the tree to grow.

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

In a world market, there’s no good reason to order anything from China. Cheaply made products are available from elsewhere and good products at reasonable prices are available from non predatory economies.

11. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

What is available is often determined by where one lives.

JL_LI and aging_rocker like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I don’t think those types of comments can be legitimately made about China any longer. They are now the Japan of the 70s and we know what happened then.;)

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The problem with shipping from China right now is that the ships needed to load goods in the Chinese ports won’t be coming back for awhile.:oops:

paulblackford, RobRiggs and johmica like this.
  14. Tyuk

Tyuk Tele-Meister

johmica likes this.
  15. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

Mine haven't left the mainland yet, so they haven't yet had to opportunity to be lost at sea. :lol:

I bought them through eBay and used PayPal, so I've got plenty of insurance, if something happens to them along the way.

I did get an update this morning that says that one of the two is "being held by Customs" in China. So, we'll see what happens. I'm not particularly emotionally invested in them - it was more of a "let's see what these things are actually like"-kind of impulse buy.

Tyuk likes this.
  16. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My last two purchases on wish.com (blutooth transmitters) took 23 days to arrive from China to Tampa, Fl.

Deeve and johmica like this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You can bet your bippy that the PRC has carefully examined the factors that caused Japan to lose their industrial dominancy in the '90s, and have carefully constructed their economic model to prevent this. What those factors are is no secret, but may run afoul of the zealous moderation here at TDPRI.

18. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

It depends. Plane or ship? I just got something in less than 2 weeks. Before, it might have taken a week or so. By ship, the normal wait was 45-60 days. Who knows what that would be now. I don't have anything else in the China pipeline at the moment. I'm waiting on a couple of packages from Europe. That's always been hit-or-miss.

johmica likes this.
  19. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I recently got some bulk pickguard material in about a month. It may have come via the Silk Road for all I know, but I didn't think that was too bad for the couple bucks I paid in shipping. It would have cost twice as much to mail it to my neighbor.

johmica likes this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My bet is they are coming via air freight. If you bought it/them from WISH, it will fly DHL to the States and then probably be transferred to FEDEX or UPS, or even USPS . I bought a effect pedal through WISH and it took 3 weeks to reach Florida: DHL > USPS > my mailbox.

If though Aliexpress, they have their own shipping system which I am not familiar with, but I just ordered a small cheap item from Ali and it is projected to be 30 days . And they stated that if it hasn't arrived by Jan 1, 2022 I can file a claim/dispute for a refund

johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.