How long does your Tele stay in tune???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by G.Rotten, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Spooky88

Spooky88 Tele-Meister

Direct sunlight and temp changes (humidity) are the only time I need to “retune” and when I change strings every 5 YEARS. Still have yet to break a string on my main partscaster, 15 years plus……

G.Rotten likes this.
  2. sgierling

sgierling TDPRI Member

I have ten guitars. Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Mexican, and American made. Strats, Teles, Gretsch's with bigsby's, Ibanez, Taylor, Takamine. Various string gauges including nylon. All in cases now because we're moving soon, but usually all out on stands out. They ALL hold their tuning apart from temp and humidity changes when played outdoors or have to travel with them. It's all about the nut and saddles. Tuners rarely have anything to do with tuning stability.

G.Rotten likes this.
  3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Most of our many gigs this Spring and Summer have been outside. The humidity and weather fluctuations have a huge tendency to mess with the tuning often on our gigs....mostly causing everything to go sharp. It's been a real pain, but we're really glad to be back gigging alot this summer.
    However, at home, away from the elements, they seem to stay in tune forever.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Gary135r and G.Rotten like this.
  4. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

I played my first gig since Dec. 2019 this past Saturday night. Played my partscaster B Bender tele, tuned up before the first song. Never tuned it again that night. Pulled it out of my gig bag Sunday & it was still in tune. Also, I've basically retired from regular gigs but I had a blast Saturday!

mimmo and G.Rotten like this.
  5. Moosewatcher

Moosewatcher TDPRI Member

I have locking tuners on my Tele and it stays in tune a long time now, but with the factory tuners is did not.

G.Rotten likes this.
  6. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

That has been like a roller coaster lately. C'mon Fall!

northernguitar and G.Rotten like this.
  7. LesSnaith

LesSnaith TDPRI Member

My 3 seem to stay in tune forever

G.Rotten likes this.
  8. Sid Z

Sid Z TDPRI Member

Nice touch with the spider webs on you lockers! My partscaster with custom homemade body stays well in tune however, like other posters have stated i tune periodically between songs when playing out. Staggered Fender lockers with string tree on high E and B strings.

G.Rotten likes this.
  9. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

How often do you play that guitar? String change recommendations are all over the place. Fender will have you change them every time you play if they could.

G.Rotten likes this.
  10. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Does "stay in tune" mean you just wing it and see if it's in tune after you start playing??? Maybe I'm naive but I check my tuning every time I pick up an instrument. I would never start playing with out checking the tuning. Saying "the next time it needs tuning" is an oxymoron. I hope you all realize that your ear learns what's being played so if you play even slightly out of tune regularly you're learning to play out of tune.

Sid Z likes this.
  11. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

My teles stay in tune fine, but the most tuning stable guitar I have is a Gretsch Electromatic Jet 5230T. I can leave it for months and when I pick it up it is in tune and stays in tune. It always surprises me.

12. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

Longer than any other guitar I own. 2012 USA with fender locking tuners and a heavy 6-saddle bridge. There was nothing wrong with the original 3 saddle bridge but the replacement offered intonation. Still kept the original ashtray tho. Just in case.

13. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I can't remember who this story happened to but there was a well known band playing an outdoor gig and the Tele player did the Steve Vai move of swinging it behind his back and catching it one time too many. The strap broke and the guitar sailed over the crowd and landed on asphalt at the back of the venue. The crowd passed it back to the stage and the high E tuner was ever so slightly bent but the guitar was still in tune.

G.Rotten likes this.
  14. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Mine is absurdly stable, despite having stock Squier CV Telecaster tuners and mahogany CV 69 Thinline body.

The one-piece Brenner Piezo One saddle is part of the recipe. There's no movement in that thing once you're set the intonation. The chunky 1.75" 50's style neck from Best Guitar Parts is made from roasted maple. I put a light tung oil finish on it, which further helps to reduce the effects of humidity changes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    G.Rotten likes this.
  15. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

I think Telecasters are one of the guitars (with headstock) that holds tune the longest, and doesn't become struck with the phenomenon of intonation/tune slacking that I do not know what to call yet. Though anything with quarter sawn hard maple neck might stay the same amount of time in tune.

The phenomenon I am looking for is when hard tailed guitars yet behave the same as if they were equipped with floating trem bridge systems. I e you bend one string (but not playing that one) and then just pick an open low E-string and hear it go down in pitch.

Most, if not all Telecasters are - thankfully - devoid of the following phenomenon:

1. Tune up to pitch, be picky about it, in a super-accurate tuner. Preferably a strobe.
    2. Now, press down the first fret on the G-string just like you would play a G sharp...but do not play that one.
    3. Instead play the open A or low E string and take a good look on the tuner.
    4. See how it goes a tad flatter in pitch while pressing down that first fret, and when releasing the finger it goes right back in pitch.
    5. Now play a regular A major chord (cowboy chord) with fretting 3 strings on the 2nd fret, do not play them.
    6. Look at the pitch of the low A and E string again...goes a bit even flatter...don't they?

All SG's does this. Les Pauls too. Gibson originals, Epiphone. PRS. Telecasters with maple necks not. And all guitars with a zero fret installed, not. Headless or not. This is part of it holding in tune the longest time, because the nut, and neck doesn't flex in any direction. I think 8 months, is the longest my Tele stayed, but then it was out of tune due to the strings got too old. Just setting the open strings they were still in tune, but too many fret dents in them and gunked up wound strings made me have to to change...

16. buzzword

buzzword TDPRI Member

My Tele is the most stable guitar I own. I bend a lot and I might have to just nudge the G or B string tuner before I play, if it wasn't for the Strobostomp you probably wouldn't know it needed tuning. Hardtail partscaster Strat much the same.

I have an AmProII Strat I bought recently which I've been using the trem on and honestly, it's not much different there, I was expecting issues but it's pretty stable, I'm still impressed by it. I think it's all in taking the time to do a proper setup, it's time well spent.

The LP I got rid of recently (to buy the AmProII in fact) would not stay in tune longer than 5 minutes and from what I've read elsewhere my experience was not an edge case. I found out you don't need to live that way.

G.Rotten likes this.
  17. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

Just get some good tuners, preferably locking, and problem solved. With locking tuners once a new set of strings settle in there should be a minimum of retuning of your guitar because there is very little string wrap on the tuning peg.

18. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

I left a Squier Affinity Tele in my office when I was sent home for COVID lockdown in March of 2020. I just got it back a couple weeks ago and it was still almost perfectly in tune.

G.Rotten likes this.
  19. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I have no idea. I tune it once a week whether it needs it or not.

20. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I don't really bother tuning my guitar. I've gotten so good that it doesn't matter whether I'm in tune or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.