How long does your Tele stay in tune???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by G.Rotten, Sep 11, 2021.

1. oldjohn

oldjohn TDPRI Member

Until my grandson gets hold of it...

G.Rotten likes this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

It stays pretty close all the time. I still tweak it to be sure between songs.

G.Rotten likes this.
  3. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I have a Hollowbody I used to keep on a stand in the living room. The floating bridge would stay in place until the kids took an interest in guitars.

Now they hang on the wall. But also now they're old enough to not care about what Dad cares about.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All of my guitars need tuning as they're used. Much of my playing is in a band environment, which means any guitar(s) I take to rehearsal will have been first at home in cases, then in my car in cases, then moved into a rehearsal room. The temperatures and humidities in those environments all vary, so either a whole guitar will go slightly sharp/flat, or some strings will. Not a big issue, this is why I've got a tuner on my pedalboard.

G.Rotten likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I generally have to retune when I decide to start using an alternate tuning…otherwise, it’s pretty much good to go for days/weeks at a time.

G.Rotten likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

my teles stay tuned, now if I could just equal my playing skills with the instrument. they sound great, stay in tune, have beautiful sustain and can't keep time or remember the changes

diving eagle.jpg

G.Rotten likes this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that there's in tune (with itself) & there's in tune in tune. I hadn't bothered to check.

Brought the Tele to the jam spot today. It was in fact in tune in tune. So that's in tune in tune for I actually have no idea how long. A month for sure. Despite being exposed to the elements on the wall hanger, a season change and a small amount of travel in a gig bag.

Teles.....! Am I right or am I right or am I right?

8. geetaruke

geetaruke TDPRI Member

I must have the best luck because my guitars all pretty much stay in tune consistently. I probably stretch them in a string change more than your average guitar player, but I find that it’s well worth it.

sgierling and G.Rotten like this.
  9. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

My most stable guitar is this 2013 AFJ95 Ibanez hollowbody, followed by the 2007 Baja Tele. The Ibanez was made in China, ironically, but also has 11-52 gauge flatwound strings which are hard to bend.

Both can survive transport in a Mono soft case and still be in tune.

G.Rotten likes this.
  10. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

My 3 guitars that I own are incredibly stable. Even my Epi LP Standard. I carry my tele on band practices and it rarely goes out of tune. It will most likely go out of tune a couple of times if the strings are fresh, or if I change a tuning on it. Other than that it's pretty stubborn.

G.Rotten likes this.
  11. syltaldo

syltaldo TDPRI Member

United the temperature changes. Very stable tuning on Telecasters in my opinion.

G.Rotten and donrichfan like this.
  12. skidders

skidders TDPRI Member

I love locking tuners but also love “working with” Kluson tuners for their vintage vibe. My Luthier says after leaving a guitar, whether it goes flat or sharp is an indication of a set up issue (not sure what - probably a truss rod adjustment?). So yours must all be good, all staying in tune

G.Rotten likes this.
  13. h34vy d1st0rt10n

h34vy d1st0rt10n TDPRI Member

I've been hunting for knurled knobs since ages until I find out at hipshot's webpage that their round knurled tuning knobs may coincidentally fit non-hipshot machine heads. :) Then I gave it a try, it fits almost perfectly. Now I really have really stable tuning. I can knock the tuners over amps, put guitar in case, lay against the wall or put on the bed and the knobs did not turn accidentally.

Attached Files:

G.Rotten likes this.
  14. Steve T

Steve T TDPRI Member

My main Japanese Custom Tele, 1980’s Fuji-Gen, still with the original tuners, never goes out of tune. D’addario 9’s on it, hangs on the wall, can just grab it and it’s always good to go. To be fair I’ve got a 2005 Les Paul Standard and that never budges either, but the Tele probably pips it.

G.Rotten likes this.
  15. Suca

Suca TDPRI Member

Mine has locking-tuners, so it holds pretty well unless there's a significant temperature change.

And it holds tune better than my Les Paul, eventhough the G string is more troublesome than the other strings on both guitars.

G.Rotten likes this.
  16. ParkAmp50

ParkAmp50 TDPRI Member

What a question.

17. MikiLoving

MikiLoving TDPRI Member

We tune because we care. :)

G.Rotten likes this.
  18. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I bring a Tele to every single gig and rehearsal and touch up the tuning before getting started. Usually that’s it for the night. My SG also stays in tune well, but it’s not as stable as my Teles.

Si G X and G.Rotten like this.
  19. Guitarman420

Guitarman420 NEW MEMBER!

My 2017 MIM Road Worn lives in my son's apartment in California. I wasn't there for about 18 months due to Covid. When I visited in June, the guitar was 98% perfectly tuned. No one tuned it. My son loves having a blonde, black guard tele in his living room!! He has no idea how to tune a guitar. The B string was flat....slightly...He lives on the ocean too!! Teles are the ****.

G.Rotten likes this.
  20. swain84

swain84 NEW MEMBER!

Exactly, my Teles (and most of my guitars, even with floating bridges) stay in tune quite well after the strings are properly stretched. The biggest thing that throws them off is changing seasons/weather and even then, the strings are usually uniformly sharp or flat so that leads me to believe that my intonation is set well. My acoustic guitars seem to be the most sensitive to weather based tuning issues and their 'fixed' saddles don't allow for the intonation to be dialed in the same way that I can on the electrics.

G.Rotten likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.