How long do I wait?

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
I won an auction for a guitar on one of the big auction platforms. The buyer shipped the following day, and provided a tracking number with USPS. The guitar shipped June 6. The last update was on June 16, and it's been "in transit since."

The seller has been fantastic. About a week ago, he opened a case with USPS to discover the whereabouts of the package. They closed the case without ever getting back to him, and without providing any update via the tracking number. Several days ago, he called the post office, and they told him that the package was last known to be in an identifiable shipping crate, and that none of the packages in that particular crate have been delivered. Everything in that crate is in the same "in transit" limbo.

Despite the fact that the seller has gone above and beyond in trying to locate the package, it will have been in USPS's possession for a full month as of next week. The seller lives three hours away from me. At what point do I file a refund case with eBay? I really want the guitar, and a refund would be cold comfort, but I can't just let this go on forever. What do you guys think would be a reasonable time, given that this is a relatively significant monetary investment?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Have you gotten the USPS tracking number from the seller and checked on it with USPS yourself?

Or are you taking the seller at their word?

Something is out of whack...

Keep in mind ebay probably has a deadline on the amount of time given buyers to seek a refund. Check to make sure it's not 30 days. If it is--file for a refund now, with a message to the seller that if the item does turn up at your door, you will repay the original cost.

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Have you gotten the USPS tracking number from the seller and checked on it with USPS yourself?

Or are you taking the seller at their word?

Something is out of whack...

Keep in mind ebay probably has a deadline on the amount of time given buyers to seek a refund. Check to make sure it's not 30 days. If it is--file for a refund now, with a message to the seller that if the item does turn up at your door, you will repay the original cost.

No, the tracking number is legit. I've been watching the progress very closely. It took 10 days to get from WV to PA, and then another 10 to get from PA to OH. It's been in transit since.

When the seller opened a case with USPS, the tracking number reflected that a case was open. A few days later, the tracking number indicated that the case had been closed, but with no additional updates.

The eBay deadline is of some concern, but I can only assume that the clock starts ticking on returns only after I've received the package. eBay has the same tracking information that I do, so the fact that I have never received the package would not be up for debate. I need to get on the site and read up on the details, though.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I would check my local post office with the tracking number just to see if it there and victim to poor admin or a software glitch.

Failing at that, you have let it run 30 days past where my patience would have allowed...I'd file for a refund.

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I won an auction for a guitar on one of the big auction platforms. The buyer shipped the following day, and provided a tracking number with USPS. The guitar shipped June 6. The last update was on June 16, and it's been "in transit since."

The seller has been fantastic. About a week ago, he opened a case with USPS to discover the whereabouts of the package. They closed the case without ever getting back to him, and without providing any update via the tracking number. Several days ago, he called the post office, and they told him that the package was last known to be in an identifiable shipping crate, and that none of the packages in that particular crate have been delivered. Everything in that crate is in the same "in transit" limbo.

Despite the fact that the seller has gone above and beyond in trying to locate the package, it will have been in USPS's possession for a full month as of next week. The seller lives three hours away from me. At what point do I file a refund case with eBay? I really want the guitar, and a refund would be cold comfort, but I can't just let this go on forever. What do you guys think would be a reasonable time, given that this is a relatively significant monetary investment?

Okay, number one, the post office doesn't allow you to file a missing mail/package until 45 days from the time you mailed it (I think). Then, they can't close the case without getting back to him. There hasn't been enough time to go through all the steps involved in looking for the package, so that's incorrect as well.

You should chat with Reverb about what is long enough to wait before you should expect a refund. I think that depends on how much you wanted this guitar. Your money is safe because Reverb will cover you on this.

Me? I would have driven an hour and a half and met the seller halfway. I would NOT have had him ship it because something could happen...

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Um, I sign on to USPS's tracking page, enter my tracking number, and it said "Package Research Case Open." Three days later, it says "Package Research Case Closed." So I'm pretty sure that the USPS did something, despite it being only three weeks since it was mailed.

But for sure, had I anticipated the delay, I would have gladly driven the three hours to pick it up.

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Um, I sign on to USPS's tracking page, enter my tracking number, and it said "Package Research Case Open." Three days later, it says "Package Research Case Closed." So I'm pretty sure that the USPS did something, despite it being only three weeks since it was mailed.

But for sure, had I anticipated the delay, I would have gladly driven the three hours to pick it up.
Well, get your money back and leave the problem with him.

1300 E Valencia

Friend of Leo's
You need to wait 14 days before filing a claim, not 45.
You also gotta make some noise.
I would keep filing claims until something happens. You can do it on the USPS website. You'll need the package info and tracking number. Do it every day. Go to tour P.O.

Claims end up on the desk of the local people, so someone will notice and at at least investigate to get rid of you.

The USPS's budget has been slashed by the new Postmaster General, eliminating overtime, among other things, like, you know, timely delivery. Expect more delays, and when deadlines are not met, such as returning absentee ballots, too bad for you.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You should have requested a refund a long time ago through the auction site. I hope it's not too late to get it. If Ebay, select "Item not received" You'll get your money in a couple of days.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Actually you can make money off YouTube but you have to know your target audience and how to market yourself. That means providing content that your target audience wants to see and supplementing your YouTube payments with other streams like Patroen where you get your target audience to pay you for making content.

I've known this guy personally for about 18 years. About 9 years ago he started his YouTube channel. It is his full time job and with 739,000 subscribers he is certainly making money from YouTube He supplements his YouTube income stream with a Patreon stream. Currently he has over 1400 patrons who pay between $1 and $50 a month to help him make content.

Okay, number one, the post office doesn't allow you to file a missing mail/package until 45 days from the time you mailed it (I think). Then, they can't close the case without getting back to him. There hasn't been enough time to go through all the steps involved in looking for the package, so that's incorrect as well.

You should chat with Reverb about what is long enough to wait before you should expect a refund. I think that depends on how much you wanted this guitar. Your money is safe because Reverb will cover you on this.

Me? I would have driven an hour and a half and met the seller halfway. I would NOT have had him ship it because something could happen...

I would have drove the full 3 hours. I drove 4 hours one way a few weeks ago to get my UA Apollo interface just because it was the closest and I didn't feel like ordering and waiting.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
If you paid via credit card, which is 99.9999% of all on-line transactions, then file a dispute with your CC company. Easy peasy Japanesey ..............

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You need to wait 14 days before filing a claim, not 45.
You also gotta make some noise.
I would keep filing claims until something happens. You can do it on the USPS website. You'll need the package info and tracking number. Do it every day. Go to tour P.O.

Claims end up on the desk of the local people, so someone will notice and at at least investigate to get rid of you.

The USPS's budget has been slashed by the new Postmaster General, eliminating overtime, among other things, like, you know, timely delivery. Expect more delays, and when deadlines are not met, such as returning absentee ballots, too bad for you.
HE doesn’t do anything except request a refund. The seller does the work to try to get back his package.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I would give it more time. Find out how long ebay will protect you. It sounds like you want the guitar and it sounds like the seller is not responsible for the delay.

Unfortunately USPS usually will respond only to the purchaser of the service. It would be best if he would go to the office the guitar was shipped from in person.

From your TDPRI info, I see you live in a small town. You may be able to visit in person and glean some information from your post office. (They are busy in the morning. Try around 10:45 am.) (You may need to make an appointment.)
If you have a relationship with your mail carrier, you might ask for his/her help with this matter.

If you contact them, be friendly. They would be doing you a favor.

People are people. Most are willing to be helpful, some are not. It is true at any business, even the post office. It is highly unlikely the guitar is permanently lost. As mentioned in the above post there are other factors at work right now. I hope we all can understand that and not place blame inaccurately. USPS is prohibited from tooting it's own horn but it is the most efficient delivery service there is. Period. It will be a shame to see it go.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The amount of time it takes will be proportional to how badly you want the guitar. Everything has taken longer for me. Record is two months and seven days so far. I think you will get it.

crackerslice89

NEW MEMBER!
hey did you ever get your guitar? I ask because im in a similiar situation. I bought a really expensive computer off of ebay and now its literally 12 days past the guaranteed delivery and its still not here. When i checked the tracking information i got the same hoopla you got. It said "research case open,reasearch case closed" I filed for a refund and ebay told me i gotta wait 10 more days until they even consider giving me a refund. The whole situations so frustrating. Kind of makes one not want to online shop.