How long did it take you to 'Do Without Reverb'

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by robt57, Oct 12, 2011.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well until I traded for a 6G5-A a few weeks back I would have let your comment here go in one eye and out the other.

I used to like a Trem in an amp for occasional use. But would buy a reverb amp if it had one and not the other hands down first. But the trem on this Brown Pro is so good, I would sure take it over any reverb.

2. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Guess I'm like a lot of people here, I don't miss reverb on my Tweed Vibrolux at all. Then again, I set the trem for a slow pulse and that compensates a bit. I rarely turn the reverb on my BFSR up past 3-4, just enough to give it some space, and probably even less on my Marshall G100.

The only amps I've missed the 'verb on is when I play my six-string through a bass amp. It sounds really lifeless to me.

Justin

3. robt57

Quite interesting, and make me realize now, why when I used 1/2" baffles when I did speaker size changes I used less and less reverb and like the tone of all of the operations better, giving credit to the speakers I put in and not thinking it was the baffle.

I will also add, the 70 watt UltraLinear Super [76 I think] I had for a short while had a particle board baffle that was the most flexible baffle I had ever seen in a cab. I actually reinforced it with a layer of 1/2 plywood and it tighten up the sound nicely. It got unruly if loud when first I got it.

EDIT: When Loud, not if loud. It only did loud. ;)

4. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

When I got my Pro Junior.

5. robt57

FWIW, I feel the exact same way with the Pro Junior over the BJR as I do about the SF Princeton [non reverb] over the Princeton Reverb. Over being the key word..

6. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

I stopped when I built my first 5e3. Reverb just muddies up the sound on stage. If I need something like that, say, for rockabilly, I use a slapback. I do have an FRV-1 at home for those times I feel like going to surfland, or playing along with Twin Peaks. But it's not on my board.

Practicing with reverb hides sloppiness.

steven

7. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

It took about 30 years of playing, roughly. It was around that point when I finally heard a couple amps that sounded good on their own, naked.

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Was thinking more about this thread after posting on it last night and fired up my Champ 5F1 clone to play for awhile sans reverb, delay, or anything else. Gotta say that it sounded darn good and notes sustain for a long time............which I really never noticed that much before, and reduces the need for reverb.........at least for me. I think that video link posted earlier by ryokan about tonal differences of tweed vs. blackface cabs has merit.

9. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Thought better of it.

10. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

When I'm gigging I hardly notice whether the reverb is on or not. Like a lot of things, live sound and home sound are two very different things, especially when live means playing pubs with lots of other noise going on.

11. stratocrabster

stratocrabster Tele-Meister

My first tube amp did it--musicman hd130--I know, a hybrid, but tube power section. Before that I always needed reverb because ss amps back then all sounded so sterile, one-dimensional without it. I noticed that if I played the musicman without reverb, there were plenty of harmonics to give the sound depth and liveliness, and that the reverb detracted from it in some ways. That was around 1995, I didn't really use much reverb again until just recently, most of my amps haven't had it and I never missed it, playing rock. Now I play some mellower stuff and it's nice to sweeten up even a very good tube amp with a little reverb--but I could definitely do without no prob.

12. Psyclone

Psyclone Tele-Meister

I was never much for reverb. I always felt like it got lost when playing live. I used a touch of delay for a while, but find myself using even that less and less.

13. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Ha, good question. I always liked a little reverb or delay with my sound. That is until I built a 5e3. Since then, I have not used reverb, not even on my SFPR. I do like a little tremolo/vibrato though. But with amps that have a lot of sustain and slow decay, I have not used reverb. However, If I use other type of solid state rectifier tube amps with snap and little sustain, I will need a little verb and perhaps some trem.

14. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

Sometime in or just after college, twenty years ago, when I realized we were putting reverb on the guitars, the vocals, the snare drum, the keyboards...and everything was all swimmy and indistinct. I ditched the reverb on the amp, put the vocals through a short delay instead and all of a sudden the mix sucked a lot less. Of course, the rhythm guitarist kept all of his stereo choruses, delays and digital reverbs and stayed swimmy and indistinct...

Now that I have some nice vintage amps with cool reverb tanks (cooler than my mid-80s Crates anyway), I sometimes use the spring reverb as an effect but never on-all-the-time.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I never use a lot anyway but what would it take me to lose it completely? A good delay unit or an overdrive pedal that sounded good through a dry signal. The more bite I want the less reverb I want.

16. Jalpow

Jalpow Tele-Meister

Thanks a heap for that. I might just replace the tank... wasn't a big fan of the stock tank anyway.

17. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

If it's there I may use it, if it's not, no sweat.

I stopped using it entirely in the 70's.
    Then the next amp I got had it in it.
    I just use a little. I find that too much of anything is not good.
    Most of the guitar parts that you hear that are really memorable are sans effects.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I passed on buying a Dumble ODS 60 from the man himself in 1980 because it didn't have reverb. I have to have a splash of 'verb. It's a habit I can't seem to quit. I grew up playing BF/SF Fender Reverb amps. Having said that, a few years ago I played through a Tweed Tremolux and that amp had so much happening harmonicly that it didn't need no stinkin' reverb. Then I played a nice AC-30. Same thing. Still I can't seem to give up reverb. Maybe if I get a Tweed Deluxe clone...

19. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

i've slowly eliminated it in just the past couple of months. i got a dano fab echo which i use maybe half the time. the reverb on the vox pathfinder i play seemed to change my tone a bit, which i didn't like. the pedal gives me much the same effect but doesn't seem to touch the tone. i do play "dry" a lot, possibly a preference influenced by my long experience playing acoustic music.

20. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Been listening to alot of Kid Ramos and Magic Sam lately - I realized that I needed to add more reverb to get the sound I was hearing in my head. Can't live without it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.